Help me figure out American Psycho

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Hello!

I saw "American Psycho" for the first time just before, and I loved it. Not only for the brilliant acting by Christian Bale, but also the wonderful satire and critique of our shallow and superficial society. I could go on in lengths about this movie, but instead, I would like to hear your thoughts on one this question:

Did Patrick Bateman actually commit the murders?

On one hand, you might say he did, and that the fact that nobody cares is the culmination of the societal critique that's at the core of this movie. In a society where nobody cares about who you are, what you do, and even what your name is (people keep calling each other by the wrong names all throughout the movie), is it not possible that Batemans lawyer did in fact not have dinner with Paul Allen? He could have mistaken him for someone else.

But then again, it's clear that Bateman is more than a little nutty. This become especially clear when the ATM machine prompts him to feed it a stray cat. It might all have been in his head, a theory that is strengthened by the disappearing blood trail when he drags Paul Allens body out, and the ease of which he destroys the police cars with nothing but a handgun.

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
Read the book. It makes everything much clearer.

Even Easton-Ellis has gone on record saying the film did not do the book justice. The ending of the film makes everything more confusing than it needs to be, the book doesn't have this problem. No there's no definitive answer to your question, but the film... it's just not as good as portraying the fact this is supposed to be a question at all.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I'd always thought it was all in Patrick Bateman's imagination and he dreamed it all because he was bored with his life or something. I could be completely wrong on that one though and it's been a while since I've seen it.

Lazy

Aug 12, 2012
Pinkamena said:
On one hand, you might say he did, and that the fact that nobody cares is the culmination of the societal critique that's at the core of this movie. In a society where nobody cares about who you are, what you do, and even what your name is (people keep calling each other by the wrong names all throughout the movie), is it not possible that Batemans lawyer did in fact not have dinner with Paul Allen? He could have mistaken him for someone else.

But then again, it's clear that Bateman is more than a little nutty. This become especially clear when the ATM machine prompts him to feed it a stray cat. It might all have been in his head, a theory that is strengthened by the disappearing blood trail when he drags Paul Allens body out, and the ease of which he destroys the police cars with nothing but a handgun.
I figure the answer lies somewhere in the middle. He committed some of the murders, while fantasizing/hallucinating others.

Like the others said, though, the ending is purposefully left ambiguous.

upgrayedd

Sep 2, 2012
The movie shows he did not kill anybody, You can see Jared Leto in the end of the film

Book he definatly kills people

Movie is still pretty good

Cakes

Aug 26, 2009
Pinkamena said:
Did Patrick Bateman actually commit the murders?
Almost all of his murders are ridiculous and over-the-top, and it's well established that he's bonkers (I doubt the ATM really said "Feed me a stray cat"). The killings being figments of his imagination pretty well explains the more bizarre aspects of the film, like the fact that he runs naked through an apartment building wielding a chainsaw in the middle of the night, drops it on a woman's head, and no one makes a peep. Or blowing up a police car with a handgun.