Help me find a book

Zoe Castillo

Mar 4, 2011
I saw this book a couple of years back and haven?t been able to find it since
I dont remember much but here are the facts

1) A traveler is walking through a land reading an old book
2)The author ( of the fictional book) is clearly a madman and the text is nearly incomprehensible and reads a bit like naked lunch
3) Now Im not completely sure about this but i think either the person reading or the author is a knight
4) In the preface the author said that it took him and his wife 10+ years to complete
5) I didn?t get through much of it but the parts I did see were mostly crazy scribbling with the readers? comments interspersed throughout

Feedmeketamine

Sep 29, 2013
No idea, sounds like a cross between don quixote and breakfast of champions, sounds cool though if you find the name id give it a read

Rylot

May 14, 2010
My Googlefu isn't turning up anything. Do you remember anything about what the cover of the book looked like? About how old is this book? Any recollection of the writer's name?

BQE

Posh Villainess
Jun 17, 2013
I was tempted to suggest the Necronomicon, since it features Alhazred the Mad Arab walking through fictional lands.

Close, but the knight bit is throwing me off. That and the fact that the text, while based on gibberish, was still rather comprehensible.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
BQE said:
I was tempted to suggest the Necronomicon, since it features Alhazred the Mad Arab walking through fictional lands.

Close, but the knight bit is throwing me off. That and the fact that the text, while based on gibberish, was still rather comprehensible.
Also, Isn't the actual Alhazreds Necronomicon only a fictional book that appears in Lovecraft's tales? Unless you mean the collection of Lovecrafts books, also called the Necronomicon. In the latter case, I don't recall a part where the Necronomicon was mentioned in a way like that, where the text is unreadable, and I don't recall him ever mentioning a wife either, nor do I remember there being a Knight in Lovecrafts tales. But the text does sound a bit Lovecraftian.

In another note: If the Necronomicon is an actual book by Alhazred, I would very much like to give it a read. Know anyplace that could sell it?

BQE

Posh Villainess
Jun 17, 2013
Kyber said:
BQE said:

Also, Isn't the actual Alhazreds Necronomicon only a fictional book that appears in Lovecraft's tales? Unless you mean the collection of Lovecrafts books, also called the Necronomicon. In the latter case, I don't recall a part where the Necronomicon was mentioned in a way like that, where the text is unreadable, and I don't recall him ever mentioning a wife either, nor do I remember there being a Knight in Lovecrafts tales. But the text does sound a bit Lovecraftian.

In another note: If the Necronomicon is an actual book by Alhazred, I would very much like to give it a read. Know anyplace that could sell it?
The titular Necronomicon is written by Lovecraft from the perspective of the Mad Arab.

This is the book I'm referring to. It's not written anywhere close to a modern story however; It's about 50% monologues by Alhazred and 50% rituals of protection and summoning, complete with pictures.

This is the companion book which I own, but haven't read. If I had to suppose I'm still not sure with the two combined that it'd be a complete, or even a coherent story.

Zoe Castillo

Mar 4, 2011
BQE said:

I do own some version of the necronomicon all though if I remember correctly it?s just a collection of lovecraftian short stories .
Either way im afraid that?s definitely not it .

Rylot said:
My Googlefu isn't turning up anything. Do you remember anything about what the cover of the book looked like? About how old is this book? Any recollection of the writer's name?
I remember seeing it again on one of those ?15 unusual books you won?t believe are real? lists you get on horrible,horrible websites . I think it was there simply because of how difficult it is to read .
But yeah sorry this is all I got

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Would you recognise the title if you saw it?

There's a few lists of metafiction on Goodreads link [https://www.goodreads.com/list/tag/metafiction]

Maybe you can recognise it from there. The lists themselves don't have book descriptions though, you have to actually click the links, which takes a bit longer than I'm willing to spend at the moment...

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Have you looked under the bed?
I usually find loads of stuff I've lost from under the bed.
There seems to be some magic stuff drawing things to those dark places

Zoe Castillo

Mar 4, 2011
Eleuthera said:
Would you recognise the title if you saw it?

There's a few lists of metafiction on Goodreads link [https://www.goodreads.com/list/tag/metafiction]

Maybe you can recognise it from there. The lists themselves don't have book descriptions though, you have to actually click the links, which takes a bit longer than I'm willing to spend at the moment...
No luck , thought I might be ?If on a winter's night a traveler? (which looks interesting regardless) but no ?.