Help me find a great starship game.

Nu-Hir

Aug 2, 2008
evilneko said:
Would any actual Starflight carts still have live batteries? It's pretty old. Might be better off with an emulator for it.
As far as I know, my Genesis ROM cart still functions, as well as all of my old NES battery games. So I'd say that yes, they'd still have live batteries.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
Homeworld 2.

X3.

Homeworld.

Homeworld Cataclysm.

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident.

That's my list off the top of my head.

lightingbird

Dec 4, 2008
Delsana said:
Homeworld 2.

X3.

Homeworld.

Homeworld Cataclysm.

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident.

That's my list off the top of my head.
None of those fit the bill.

Thanks anyway all. I've been directed towards X Birth. Its the newest game of those who made X3, which is a fighter game. I posted on their forum to see if X Birth will have what I described in my first post.

lightingbird

Dec 4, 2008
After looking at some videos of Nexus: The Jupiter Incident on youtube, I think I will check that out for now. Its not what I am looking for but its something.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Nu-Hir said:
evilneko said:
Would any actual Starflight carts still have live batteries? It's pretty old. Might be better off with an emulator for it.
As far as I know, my Genesis ROM cart still functions, as well as all of my old NES battery games. So I'd say that yes, they'd still have live batteries.
Interesting thing, there, Last time I checked, my copy of The Legend of Zelda, which is almost definitely older than I am, still had a functioning save battery. The only type of cartridge I've ever seen have a battery fail has been Gameboy Color cartridges; specifically, the battery in my copy of Dragon Warrior 3 died about 5 years after it was new. I'd imagine most Genesis carts would still be okay, although I can't vouch for it; RPGs were so rare on that system that I don't actually have any games that allowed for saving. I've got tons of platformers and fighting games, plus a couple of sports games, and none of them have save batteries.

Nu-Hir

Aug 2, 2008
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Interesting thing, there, Last time I checked, my copy of The Legend of Zelda, which is almost definitely older than I am, still had a functioning save battery. The only type of cartridge I've ever seen have a battery fail has been Gameboy Color cartridges; specifically, the battery in my copy of Dragon Warrior 3 died about 5 years after it was new. I'd imagine most Genesis carts would still be okay, although I can't vouch for it; RPGs were so rare on that system that I don't actually have any games that allowed for saving. I've got tons of platformers and fighting games, plus a couple of sports games, and none of them have save batteries.
I remember checking the three Final Fantasy carts I had (all from the late 80s) a month or two ago and they still worked. I think I last used my SegaCD in Feb or so, and the cart was still working, as that's where my Vay save is.

DexterNorgam

Jul 16, 2011
I just skimmed the list, but I didn't see anyone mention Independence War 2.

I really liked this game. It was kinda sandboxish, and the Newtonian Physics flight model made for for good times. Players controlled command modules that were modular and allowed them to control small interceptors up to large capital ships with the same control scheme. I think it was one of the last good spaceflight "sims" (for lack of better term) that I played before the genre kinda vanished.

Recently I have been playing BSGO. I rather like it, it passes time ok for a free game, is kinda pretty (at least when your in your ship) for a browser game and you can get in on the action at a fairly low lvl because you can be of some use in big fights right out the gate and the death penalty isn't outrageous.

lightingbird

Dec 4, 2008
DexterNorgam said:

I really liked this game. It was kinda sandboxish, and the Newtonian Physics flight model made for for good times. Players controlled command modules that were modular and allowed them to control small interceptors up to large capital ships with the same control scheme. I think it was one of the last good spaceflight "sims" (for lack of better term) that I played before the genre kinda vanished.

Recently I have been playing BSGO. I rather like it, it passes time ok for a free game, is kinda pretty (at least when your in your ship) for a browser game and you can get in on the action at a fairly low lvl because you can be of some use in big fights right out the gate and the death penalty isn't outrageous.
For the 20th time, I am not looking for a fighter game. Ha starting to think some of you are just messing with me besides the others not reading my first post. Again, I appreciate the recommendations, but I am looking for a starship game as detailed in my first post and NOT a fighter game. Also, I realize the game does not exist now so I have given up.

DexterNorgam

Jul 16, 2011
lightingbird said:
DexterNorgam said:

For the 20th time, I am not looking for a fighter game. Ha starting to think some of you are just messing with me besides the others not reading my first post. Again, I appreciate the recommendations, but I am looking for a starship game as detailed in my first post and NOT a fighter game. Also, I realize the game does not exist now so I have given up.
Yea I know, you're not looking for combat-centric stuff. I'm just saying if you haven't played Independence War 2 you're missing a good spaceflight game. Maybe what something exactly what you're looking for doesn't exist, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't give another good space game a day in court, might even be able to find it on GOG or something.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
DexterNorgam said:
lightingbird said:
DexterNorgam said:

Yea I know, you're not looking for combat-centric stuff. I'm just saying if you haven't played Independence War 2 you're missing a good spaceflight game. Maybe what something exactly what you're looking for doesn't exist, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't give another good space game a day in court, might even be able to find it on GOG or something.
What he's looking for is really different from standard space combat sims, to the point where the only thing they have in common is a similar setting. Saying that if you like Starflight you should love (fill in space combat sim here) is like saying because you love KotOR you should love Halo. They have that little in common. I know you're trying to help, but I'd like to put it in perspective.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Nu-Hir said:
evilneko said:
Now if only my Genesis (and controllers!) still worked well enough to be playable. >.>

Ah well. I knew those button batteries lasted a long time but they give out eventually.

DexterNorgam

Jul 16, 2011
Owyn_Merrilin said:
DexterNorgam said:
lightingbird said:
DexterNorgam said:

What he's looking for is really different from standard space combat sims, to the point where the only thing they have in common is a similar setting. Saying that if you like Starflight you should love (fill in space combat sim here) is like saying because you love KotOR you should love Halo. They have that little in common. I know you're trying to help, but I'd like to put it in perspective.

Herpy derp derpy doo!! No shit he is looking for something different, from what he's saying it sounds like he's looking for "uncharted waters in space". I'm not sure it currently exists. What I'm saying is even if its not what your looking for, Independence War II is worth a look for anyone looking for space anything. Everyone else named every other non combat spacer I could think of aside from the old shuttle simulator on the 2600 so I provided an alternative choice.

lightingbird

Dec 4, 2008
Just thought I'd let everyone know that I did post up on the X3 forums and learned more about XRebirth and from what I can tell, when its released, it will be exactly what I am seeking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LabrDe4XJo0

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
lightingbird said:
Just thought I'd let everyone know that I did post up on the X3 forums and learned more about XRebirth and from what I can tell, when its released, it will be exactly what I am seeking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LabrDe4XJo0
The X series is quite frankly monolithic. Take everything that is all at once frustrating and so in depth about EVE minus the online aspect and I think that fits as a fair summation of the series as a whole.

I like the -idea- of the X games, but it always ends up with me playing for maybe 5-20 mins in before I hit a wall. And at that, that isn't even going to try to pander to my need to know what the hell I'm supposed to be doing.

Though, more than likely I just don't have the patience or wherewithal to stick with it. *shrugs*

To make a final comparison, X is to space sims what Gothic is to RPG's. So positively German. :/

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
lightingbird said:
I'm an old school gamer and I used to play a game that some of you who also fall into that category might know.

It was called Starflight.

It was a scifi game in which you commanded a non military ship for exploration and profit. You got to recruit your crew by creating them from different races. You could spec their stats, they learned and got better, and they could also permanently die.

You could fully upgrade your ship for better armor, science equipment, shields and weapons. The known galaxy was insanely huge and open for exploring. A huge sandbox with no storyline to follow. There were hostile races in the game and you could make allies and even enemies with all of them. Planets that could support life, you could recommend for colonization for money. You could even land on certain planets and mine which was the main way of getting money other than destroying ships and other stuff. For me, I felt like I was actually in a starship as the captain, exploring the unknown in which every decision mattered.

So it was a great game back in 1986 (I did say I was old school :D).

Is there anything like this but with a modern element and maybe more to offer? It seems like most of them are mostly fighter shooters or just ship based games with no way to land on planets, other ships, linear storyline, no free will, and no mention of crew members.

So can anyone recommend something similar to what I described? Does it exist?

ALSO - Why in the hell is there no instant reply notification by email on this forum?

There is a general lack of decent RPGs being developed which is part of the problem.

You might try "Starpoint Gemini" (availible on Gamers Gate), or "Space Wolves 3: Civil War". The first one is pretty much a ship command simulator in a fairly freeform universe, the latter is one where you command a group of mercenary fighter pilots, you can fly from station to station doing jobs and pretty much neglect the main plot for a long time if you want to. You have a base ship (which can fight), a number of differant skill trees, and customizable fighters.

Both of these games are RPGs, since I'm guessing your looking for more of an RPG/Sim than an action game.

For a more action-oriented approach "X3" and "Spaceforce: Rogue Universe"

For more of a strategy game than a sim (in my opinion) there is another really good one called "Space Rangers 2: Reboot" (reboot is the updated/expanded version) which is pretty interesting overall.

"SPAZ" (Space Pirates And Zombies) is a fairly recent game that seems to follow in the footsteps of "Solar Winds" or "Armada" (from the Dreamcast) more than anything, but has some exploration and management elements in it.

Those are some games to look at. Most of them are on STEAM or Gamers Gate so should be fairly easy to find.

Xooiid

Feb 1, 2011
You know, i'm genuinely surprised that the Freespace series hasn't had a mention yet. Especially Freespace 2 and some of the mod content that's out there for it. Seriously, they're on GOG for six bucks, and you can get Wing Commander and Babylon 5 packs for free, if you wish to get your nerd on.

Dr. Shenanigans

Jun 13, 2011
You should check out the Escape Velocity series (Nova especially). They pretty much fit everything in your description, and are relatively recent.

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
Star Control 2 is my favorite game of all time (I preferred the stronger writing over Starflight, although I can understand the appeal of the more hands-off storyline), and I'd give anything to have the genre revived. I want to explore the universe, meet interesting alien races, unravel mysteries... And engage in as little combat as possible. I don't want another flight sim or twin stick shooter, I want to explore. Combat should only be included as a means to an end, increasing the tension, not as the end itself.

But at this point we should probably just count our blessings that these franchises haven't been rebooted as FPSes. Not that Mass Effect isn't great, but oh god, that would cause me actual physical pain.