Help me make a videogame music playlist

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
It's for the bookstore where I work.
I'm going for stuff that doesn't necessarily scream videogames and can pass for a "normal" music (including songs that may or may not have been composed for a specific game but are primarily associated with it anyway). The idea is to alternate between upbeat/trippy rock and something more slow and mellow but nothing too creepy. Chiptune is fine so long as it's not too strident.
This is what I have so far for example, 50 minutes. Ideally I'd like to at least double that.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
I feel obliged to suggest Undertale.

There's even a jazz album for at least some of the songs.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
Is it wrong of me to suggest the inclusion of the F-Zero X renditions of "Mute City" and "Big Blue"(known on the F-Zero X Soundtrack album as "Endless Challenge" and "Decide in the Eyes", respectively)?

I'm also going to suggest "Allied Nations" from Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction, as well as "Shipyards of Lorient" from Medal of Honor: Frontline.

savageoblivi0n

Aug 7, 2008
The payday 2 soundtrack is excellent, my personal favorites are "Ode to Greed" And "And Now We Run"
If those are too techno heavy though my main obsession from the soundtrack right now is "Break the Rules" which just screams 80s rock, and has a great instrumental version and even better lyrics version

Oct 22, 2011
I see you don't plan to include only game OSTs. Well then:

MGSV - never played it, but Kojima has a good taste when it comes to soundtracks:
Elegia - New Order
Nuclear - Mike Oldfield
Not your kind of people - Garbage
Diamond Dogs - David Bowie

Bastion soundtrack - Setting Sail, Coming Home

Bayonetta - Fly me to the Moon cover
Bayonetta 2 - Moon River cover

Borderlands 2
Short Change Hero - The Heavy

Hotline Miami
Hydrogen - MOON
Hotline Miami 2
Roller Mobster - Carpenter Brut

Fallout NV
I got spurs - Gene Autry

GTA IV
Soviet Connection - Michael Hunter
GTA V OST - We were set up

We've been set up - Michael Hunter

That's it for now. Will maybe add more examples later.

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
After over 200 hours of gameplay, can't say I'm tired of anything from Persona 5 yet. And I just saw you wanting something to go from upbeat to slow and whatnot...Yeah I think P5 has some of that to offer. Just search at your own peril, cause if you plan to play at any point, I'm sure you'll find spoilers in thumbnails and maybe even song titles.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Slow and mellow you say?

Amplitude's Endless games have beautiful soundtracks.

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
Well, I'm more of a tinny 8- or 16-bit chiptune kind of guy, but let's see...

*loads up own "Video Game Music" playlist*

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness has an amazing soundtrack; I'm particularly fond of

and

PSX/Saturn Earthworm Jim 2, for Tommy Tallarico's particular brand of awesome:

Sonic 3D Blast wasn't all that great a game, but I still love this tune to this day:

Old as all hell, but an ambient classic from Myst:

Saturn classic Guardian Heroes, as criminally overlooked as its glorious ost:

Yuzo Koshiro's sheer brilliance on Legend of Oasis/Story of Thor 2:

And I'll always second already-mentioned God-tier Hotline Miami's and Hotline Miami 2's soundtrack.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Pick something from there, that series in general had great soundtracks, really makes me wish I could find my old skateboard.

Hartland

Apr 16, 2012
Nier - Song of Ancients. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUBvYYsM-lo] Or most other songs on the Gestalt/Replicant ost. Don't know about Automata, haven't listened to it yet. Though it is bound to contain at least some gems.

The album Creid by Yasunori Mitsuda and the millennial fair contains good sounding irish folk music~ish and is tied to Xenogears, an old psx game. Creid [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycqNpRpB_tc] is the title track and perhaps one of the more mellow one. Other recommendations from the album is Balto and Lahan since both are instrumental.

I'll think a while and come back if I remember something more rock-y but you obviously know of silent hill and it's sound tracks and that would have been my first stop.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Faunts - M4 Part II - Mass Effect
Lisa Miskovsky - Still Alive - Mirror's Edge

And the Papers, Please theme when you open the store.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Are weird covers of OSTs ok?
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpNzehgvxh3CNURyEDM-5DV6mWXp_6ccU

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Pretty much a majority of Chrono Trigger. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDZ2W0GpP_E&list=PL21BAA7C6EDEB63A3

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I've always enjoyed Chrono Cross' "Time's Scar," and as a bonus it starts off ambient and becomes upbeat. Also for a little western ambiance, "The Outlaws" from Lucasarts' Outlaws soundtrack. And of course the best song from any GTA soundtrack, "The Ballad of Chapped Lips Calhoun" by the late Sideways Hank O'Malley and the Alabama Bottle Boys.