Help me restore my faith in humanity: What can get my mind off GoT?

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
So a few days ago after the last episode of the season aired I binge watched Game of Thrones, ending on episode 8. For one, the horrible image at the end has haunted me for days, 2. I refuse to watch anything having to do with that show ever again.

What could I watch to get my spirit back up? What could I watch to get that out of my head? Everything is fair game, movies, TV, cartoons/anime, it just has to be positive in some way.

Twinrehz

May 19, 2014
Country
Norge
Interesting. I'm not the only one that was deeply disturbed by that scene, that sort of gives me hope in humanity.

OT: I was going to say Lord of the Rings (the books), until I remembered the entire world of Tolkien is basically grim and dark.

The Tales-games are very colourful and at least somewhat cheery, even if the undying hope and blind will of the characters to carry on through whatever problem they might have can be a bit annoying at times. Then you have viva piñata, probably THE most colourful and happy-go-lucky game of all time (and according to those who know it's not a bad game. It's made by Rare, and they're famous for making pretty decent games).

Tengen Toppa Gurrenn Laggann (not sure I spelled that right), an anime(/manga) worth watching(/reading). If it doesn't make you laugh over how hard these people are trying to save the world, then you have become a heartless human being. It can be a bit dark at times, but not so much that it can't be solved by the main characters will to drill stuff with their over-sized machines. (And watching the one prominent girl basically dropkick the young kid protagonist into puberty is hilarious).

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
delta4062 said:
Twinrehz said:
Interesting. I'm not the only one that was deeply disturbed by that scene, that sort of gives me hope in humanity.

OT: I was going to say Lord of the Rings (the books), until I remembered the entire world of Tolkien is basically grim and dark.

The Tales-games are very colourful and at least somewhat cheery, even if the undying hope and blind will of the characters to carry on through whatever problem they might have can be a bit annoying at times. Then you have viva piñata, probably THE most colourful and happy-go-lucky game of all time (and according to those who know it's not a bad game. It's made by Rare, and they're famous for making pretty decent games).

Tengen Toppa Gurrenn Laggann (not sure I spelled that right), an anime(/manga) worth watching(/reading). If it doesn't make you laugh over how hard these people are trying to save the world, then you have become a heartless human being. It can be a bit dark at times, but not so much that it can't be solved by the main characters will to drill stuff with their over-sized machines. (And watching the one prominent girl basically dropkick the young kid protagonist into puberty is hilarious).
Most people were disturbed by that scene, doesn't mean people shouldn't continue watching it. That's an utterly stupid reason.
Different stroke for different folks. Nothing changes if two people stop watching for whatever reason.

Twinrehz

May 19, 2014
Country
Norge
Hey, I wasn't the one that said I've stopped watching GoT, and I can assure you, I haven't. While the scene was disturbing, and the thought actually crossed my mind (the thought was "fuck this nonsense, I think I want to stop watching", btw), I figured I still want to see this story end, gore and tits aside.

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
Most people were disturbed by that scene, doesn't mean people shouldn't continue watching it. That's an utterly stupid reason.[/quote] It wasnt that moment on its own, but it was the topping of of a BULLSHIT sundae that I refuse to eat anymore. I can be more specfic if you wish, wasnt going to go into a rant on it just yet.

Twinrehz said:

I was think TTGL, I watched the first few episodes liked it, but had a major bummer moment spoiled for me and Im not sure I wanna go through that after what I just saw.

I dont think I have anything to play Tales of games on :p

By the way, Tolkien, even at his darkest, was never this bad. Martin is just a lazy hack writer. I think I had your same reaction in my head, but I refuse to spend anymore time wasted on this show just to be shat on

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
You lost your faith in humanity from a scene in GoT?
Yeesh, that's a bit dramatic.
Primus1985 said:
By the way, Tolkien, even at his darkest, was never this bad. Martin is just a lazy hack writer. I think I had your same reaction in my head, but I refuse to spend anymore time wasted on this show just to be shat on
He's a lazy hack writer because of one scene you didn't have the stomach for?
If you're this shocked, I'm going to hazard a guess and say that you haven't read the books, if that's the case "lazy hack writer" isn't a label you can apply with authority.

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
Colour Scientist said:
You lost your faith in humanity from a scene in GoT?
Yeesh, that's a bit dramatic.
Twinrehz said:
By the way, Tolkien, even at his darkest, was never this bad. Martin is just a lazy hack writer.
He's a lazy hack writer because of one scene you didn't have the stomach for?
If you're this shocked, I'm going to hazard a guess and say that you haven't read the books, if that's the case "lazy hack writer" isn't a label you can apply with authority.
It wasnt that one scene that did it, it was that on top of all the other bullshit.

I read book one. Funny story: Actually got the paperback with really nice art on it many years ago, Jon Snow and Castle Black with Ghost on the back. Got it as a Christmas present in my late teens. Never really read past chapter 1 till I heard about the show coming out, so I digged it out and read it. By that time the show was out and they said they where changing stuff around so I thought whats the point of reading the rest when the show is going to be different anyway? Besides Martin is Executive Producer on the show, are you going to honestly tell me he doesnt really guide what happens on said show?

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Primus1985 said:
It wasnt that one scene that did it, it was that on top of all the other bullshit.

I read book one. Funny story: Actually got the paperback with really nice art on it many years ago, Jon Snow and Castle Black with Ghost on the back. Got it as a Christmas present in my late teens. Never really read past chapter 1 till I heard about the show coming out, so I digged it out and read it. By that time the show was out and they said they where changing stuff around so I thought whats the point of reading the rest when the show is going to be different anyway? Besides Martin is Executive Producer on the show, are you going to honestly tell me he doesnt really guide what happens on said show?
You decided to not read the books because the show was going to be different?

Co-exacutive, He participates with the screen writing but I really doubt he has final say in exactly how the show is written and shot. Besides, the events in episode 8 are pivotal to where the narrative goes from here so they had to happen.

So, what exactly is all of the "other bullshit"?

I get that the show and the books aren't for everyone, that's a given and everyone is entitled to not like it. It just seems silly to prattle on about him being a hack writer when you haven't read much of his work and calling it bullshit because one scene was a little shocking.

Twinrehz

May 19, 2014
Country
Norge
First of all, I don't like being quoted for stuff I did not write.
It says Twinrehz said:
By the way, Tolkien, even at his darkest, was never this bad. Martin is just a lazy hack writer.
I didn't write that sentence, it is a result of a bad quoting-job. (I took the liberty of editing the quote title). I've read two of the books so far, and am about to start the third, and I love the books.

Secondly, I also never said I was actually going to stop watching, that was OP's idea. While the scene in question really got to me, and made me think, I'm not going to stop watching the show. I think it was the gore and the sudden turn of events (I was REALLY vouching for Oberyn), that caused the reaction. It was very in-your-face brutal, and another good reason to not like The Mountain.

Thirdly, Martin really needs to stop murdering every damn character, or there won't be anyone left to rule Westeros by the end of book 7.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Well, if your faith in humanity was so easily crushed by a TV show, then I honestly don't know what could restore it.

pfff... I don't know, go watch Community?

It's pretty great.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Hmmmm, seeing that scene in episode 8 made me want to watch more, same with the episodes involving-

Neds beheading, the massacre of the Starks at the Twins, "Bran" and "Rickon" being burnt, Daenerys "crucifying" the masters, Daenerys freeing the unsullied

All kept me watching and waiting for more.

Just remember, its not real. I've seen worse images on the news and plastered all over facebook.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Go read Yotsuba. Seriously. When you're feeling down, moody, or cynical just go read some Yotsuba. Faith in humanity restored.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Honestly I have no idea how anyone can be disturbed by fiction. I'd go on a rant about how people with such a disposition would be useless in times of civilization breakdown, but I'll save it. Instead I'll recommend you something actually disturbing.

Watch 'Filth', with James McAvoy. That's a movie you can walk out of entitled to feel unsettled.

As per your request, however...Play Okami. Or watch Jenna Marbles' 200th video. If you ever feel like you're the only person in the world who feels like things don't make sense, you'll realise you're not alone and for one brief moment you'll feel like you're part of something greater.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Primus1985 said:
For a "lazy hack writer," he seems to have elicited quite the emotional response from you. He must be doing something right. :p

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Vivi22 said:
Primus1985 said:
For a "lazy hack writer," he seems to have elicited quite the emotional response from you. He must be doing something right. :p
Oh come on, not this smug old silliness. It's silly and smug...

As for the answer to OT's question, it actually has been answered...

SacremPyrobolum said:
Azumang Dioh. It's lovely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t73n1CwdAZA.
This truly is something to make you just giggle. Just stay away from Yukari's car if you know what's good for you...In fact, don't get too close to Yukari at all. Who knows what she'll do to you.

Twinrehz

May 19, 2014
Country
Norge
anthony87 said:
Anyone care to elaborate on the image the OP is talking about?
Oberyn lying dead on the ground with his head crushed by The Mountain (Spoiler warning). Kinda disturbing, especially since Oberyn's the most likable character since season 1. At least for me he was.

Mod Edit-Please do not post spoilers without a proper warning. Its not cool man.