Help me run Skyrim...

Yak Johnson

Jun 14, 2011
Alrighty Escapist people, I'm in a bit of a pickle. I've got a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop, and I'm trying to run Skyrim. Yes, I know I should get a better computer, but I'm poor. As in "I can't spare over 30 bucks a month on myself" poor. My laptop meets the bare minimum specs, but I'm worried that it won't run well at all. Any advice on how to make my laptop run it better? I can't really spend money on this, so only free tips please! Also, please don't reply and say "get a better laptop" or "get a console". With my income that's not an option. Thanks in advance.

Apr 28, 2008
If it meets the bare minimum requirements, it'll run at the lowest settings. Not sure how well.

It'd probably be a good idea to wait for mods that improve performance.

CardinalPiggles said:
Get a new computer

Get a new job?
I think if that were possible, he'd of done it by now.

Thamous

Sep 23, 2008
You really can't do anything. If it barely meets the minimum specs, that's all their is to it. It will run, poorly, but it will work. Every tip you get will give you 3% improved performance if that. Sorry to sound so harsh but that's just how it is.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
You have an Intel GMA in that thing, right? I'm sorry, you can't do anything about it. If you had a dedicated GPU I could tell you to install new drivers or even overclock it a bit. Don't buy laptops with integrated GPUs.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Something I just got told on youtube: Start Button > Right-click Computer > Properties > Advanced system settings > Performance, Settings > Click 'Adjust for best performance' > Hit okay > Goto Graphic's card settings. Find the resolution closest to the Resolution in the game

Makes your desktop look ugly as fuck, but it improved my 40-ish frames and medium settings to occasional 60 frames at high settings.

Angry_squirrel

Mar 26, 2011
Don't hold me to this (I'm a console gamer) but I've heard you can get mods for PC games to help them run better.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Google Skyrim tweaks and you'll find ways to disable shadows and things like that. I don't know how well it will run after you tweak it like that though.

Handbag1992

Apr 20, 2009
believer258 said:
*sigh*

It needs to be law that any laptop you buy that isn't expressly made for gaming must come with a gigantic sheet at least as big as the box that says, in plain huge red letters:

YOU CAN'T PLAY MODERN GAMES ON THIS ************ BECAUSE IT'S NOT MOTHERFUCKING MEANT TO PLAY MODERN GAMES.

Not exactly pointed at you, OP, but I feel like I see this thread at least twice a day. It's more pointed to everyone who tries to play the big new games on $500 laptops and wonders why they won't work at all. If they did, $1500 laptops wouldn't be necessary at all.

Oh, yes. Reasoning. What you have, my friend, is something called an onboard chip, sometimes called integrated graphics. It's simply a GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) that is soldered onto the motherboard. It takes its resources from other places - namely, RAM and the processor - and uses those to render graphics. This is fine for, say, getting on the internet or typing word documents or watching a movie, but it will not work for graphics-intensive activities such as modern games because it isn't fast enough. It's actually quite slow. Sure, you could play Half-Life or Morrowind or something of that sort on it, but even if you get Skyrim running it will chug at an unplayable rate.
I think this should be printed on the box of every PC and PC game that's made.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx

Yak Johnson

Jun 14, 2011
believer258 said:
*sigh*

It needs to be law that any laptop you buy that isn't expressly made for gaming must come with a gigantic sheet at least as big as the box that says, in plain huge red letters:

YOU CAN'T PLAY MODERN GAMES ON THIS ************ BECAUSE IT'S NOT MOTHERFUCKING MEANT TO PLAY MODERN GAMES.

Not exactly pointed at you, OP, but I feel like I see this thread at least twice a day. It's more pointed to everyone who tries to play the big new games on $500 laptops and wonders why they won't work at all. If they did, $1500 laptops wouldn't be necessary at all.

Oh, yes. Reasoning. What you have, my friend, is something called an onboard chip, sometimes called integrated graphics. It's simply a GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) that is soldered onto the motherboard. It takes its resources from other places - namely, RAM and the processor - and uses those to render graphics. This is fine for, say, getting on the internet or typing word documents or watching a movie, but it will not work for graphics-intensive activities such as modern games because it isn't fast enough. It's actually quite slow. Sure, you could play Half-Life or Morrowind or something of that sort on it - those games are old and don't require much - but even if you get Skyrim running it will chug at an unplayable rate.

For comparison, my Toshiba with a decent processor (an i3 at 2.23 GHz) and 4GB of RAM has one of the better chips, Intel HD Graphics. The best I can run is Portal 2 at low settings, and that's because it's running on a fairly old engine. I'd be willing to bet that your computer is a fair bit weaker than mine.
I know, I get that. I just can't afford a better laptop. I'm gonna try it on the bare minimum settings, the graphics'll probably be shit, but it may work. Thanks for the response though. I can run Oblivion on high settings, and not much looks to have changed graphics wise... maybe it'll work out.