HELP! REUTERS LINKS NORWAY MURDERS WITH ONLINE GAMING

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
UnknownGunslinger said:
Reuters isn't the only one saying this. Apparently the gunman said the same thing.
Not exactly, he never linked games. When police raided the apartment they found a copy of World of Warcraft. That?s it!
Apparently that?s important enough to be quoted on news on equal footing with antisemitism. Replace World of Warcraft with a book. The police found a book. Or with music. Or a chair. I'm sure they found chairs there, maybe even a T.V.!
They are the ones who are sensationalizing this along side everything else he actually did say influenced him!
This is what I find problematic.
This is what he said:

I see MW2 more as a part of my training-simulation than anything else
http://kotaku.com/5824147/oslo-terrorist-anders-behring-breivik-used-modern-warfare-2-as-training+simulation-world-of-warcraft-as-cover

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
Norway have just experienced the worst act of terrorism Scandinavia have ever seen. This is not the time to worry about a hobby, if people start to rally about banning game then we can start that.

neoman10

Big Brother
Sep 23, 2008
The guy said that MW2 was a good training program. I think in this case it is a little more justifiable. OP, why don't you use multiple sources before going on a crusade against an organization

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
this isnt my name said:
SilentCom said:
The neo-nazi probably wasn't even a gamer...
Ok this bothers me. I hate the guyu. But how the fuck is he a neo nazi ?

I havent read anything about that. He hated multiculturalism, he was fucked up in the head and shot people. That dosent make him a neo nazi.

I havent read anything about him being one, so if you can provide link I take back everything I said. But he isnt a nazi.
I am not sure he is actually a neo-nazi or not, but he is referred to as that by the OP. What am I suppose to call him? An unhappy Norwegian?

Regardless, he's pretty fucked up for doing what he did and I really doubt it had anything to do with gaming.

Coffinshaker

Feb 16, 2011
yeah, that statement seems a little misplaced, I don't think it's any cause for concern. but that is the kind of wild statement that lacks support we see in a lot of the "news" networked shows... don't think it's a sign of things to come, but if you feel strongly about it, you should write the editors (I'm sure they have a contact link somewhere in there).

now if the headline was "video games caused mass murders in norway", without any evidence or support, I'd be a bit more PO'ed.

UnknownGunslinger

Jan 29, 2011
neoman10 said:
The guy said that MW2 was a good training program. I think in this case it is a little more justifiable. OP, why don't you use multiple sources before going on a crusade against an organization
Hi I'm aware of this quote and it's one found all around the web and the problem that I have with it is that nowhere as far as I was able to find yet was it verifiable!
It's not in his "manifesto" e-book or video as I was suggested so far. The links I've been given are leading to similar blog posts and other in-verifiable articles.
Seeing how this quote hasn't yet emerged in a major news outlet it's hard to say, though it probably is true.
However if true and the e-book manifesto is up-loaded in full and it's stated there.
This in no way diminishes my original reaction to the cover story by Victoria Klesty and Gwladys Fouche who if you follow the link I've provided to their story at the time of publishing provided no quotes or references at all in support of their statement that they possess expertise of knowledge of what was on the mind of the perpetrator at the time of his crimes!

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Hidden bias on an internet forum in a thread that is going to be viewed by maybe 1000 people MAX is completely, COMPLETELY fucking different from that.
Really? How exactly is bias "COMPLETLY fucking" different in an internet forum post or a newspaper article? Bias is bias, it exists in our language be it on a forum post, in everyday conversation, in a book or on TV...

And anyhow, disregarding that you are trying to justify frankly stupid statements made on a serious news website which is viewed by hundreds of thousands of people a day....
Oh well, let me know if you ever manage to run a professional full time news website without a hint of bias in any articles or ever a single slip-up. Of course mentioning video games is stupid, but your being unreasonable to expect such news writers to be journalistic saints to the God of objectivity.

Seriously, no offense to you or anything, im not trying to insult you, but did you put the slightest fraction of a thought into what you wrote?
From experience, being polite to people on the internet usually means they will be polite back. If your going to be rude however, your only going to start a flame war. Count yourself lucky i'm not in the mood for such a war.

Yesterday a man in Norway shot 94 people. His facebook page show that he was a right wing extremist, a christian and enjoyed the online video games WoW and Modern Warfare 2. He also sited Shakespeare and Kant as some of his favorite writers. Police described the man as "cold".
Nice try, but there is a bias relating to what information you decide to share and what information you choose to discard. I am being extremely technical here, others would say pedantic. On the face of things, and for all intents and purposes, what you wrote is "unbias", it's only if one thinks a bit more then it's not.

In sum a news article pertaining to be objective utters a silly sentence. I say so what? We're only human, no need to get your knickers in a twist about it. Just so long as such mistakes arn't glaring or repeated....It can be difficult writing objectively, and is technically near-impossible to do so.

Heck, journalists have done worse.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
UnknownGunslinger said:
Seriously, what's wrong with that article? It doesn't say that video games caused this; it didn't even link them. It just said that his mind was influenced by online games. I can't see any bias - this is an overreaction.

Tragedy's Rebellion

Feb 21, 2010
It was pretty unsubstantial and out of place in the article, it hits you like a brick wall tbh and I don't know how anybody can miss it. That said, I don't think we should go on a holy crusade about it. Maybe, if they start blaming it as the sole reason, we should do something, but as of now it's better to just let it slide.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
So, this happens all the time and its acceptable? Thats weird, because in 10 years of reading a newspaper called The Guardian I havent ran into anything like this once. Youre still missing the point. Yes, bias sneaks itself into everything we say inevitably, that is true, but my point still stands and you didnt address it. The sentence is unacceptable and I also refuse to believe it got in there "by accident".
You've been reading the Guardian newspaper for 10 years and you've never spotted any mistakes? I've been reading it on and off for five and it doesn't take a wikipedia entry to tell me that the Guardian has a reputation for making mistakes.

The nickname The Grauniad for the paper originated with the satirical magazine Private Eye.[109] This anagram played on The Guardian's reputation for frequent typographical errors, such as misspelling its own name as The Gaurdian.[110] The domain grauniad.co.uk is registered to the paper.
The very first issue of the newspaper contained a number of errors, perhaps the most notable being a notification that there would soon be some goods sold at atction instead of auction. There are fewer typographical errors in the paper since the end of hot-metal typesetting.[111] One of their writers, Keith Devlin, suggested that the high number of observed misprints was due more to the quality of the readership than their greater frequency.[112]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guardian

I've also spotted typo mistakes on the BBC website and in the Times newspaper, and in even more bias newspapers such Mail i've read entire articles which stand as a pristine example of man's ability to twist facts and information to suit their agenda, but that may be besides the point.

I can see the "I worked at a newspaper and dont attack me" post in front of my eyes, but im going to go ahead anyway and say you dont know the slightest thing about journalism and the news industry anyway. Giving false information with no back up, and being fully aware that you are, is not acceptable, no matter how human you are. Its not like some dude went to the kitchen to get something to drink and dropped the glass, something that you cant help and something that happens to everyone at some time. This is a news site where people get payed a lot to write articles. These articles are thought through by the author. Then the author proof reads them twice. Then he uploads it to another person and he proof reads it again. "The sentence just slipped in there and nothing more was meant buy it" doesnt cut it and its not true. Reuters know exactly what they are doing.
I don't know much about Journalism, i never claimed so, even if i unintentionally implied it. I can still however empathise with peoples other careers. I imagine for instance that the work of a soldier is physically and mentally straining, and i can imagine the work of many journalists is fast-paced and focused around getting and making the next "story".

But for the record i do edit the Features section for a university newspaper, so i am not entirely ignorant how a newspaper works. I've spotted typo errors in the university newspaper before, despite the fact that you are right in that each article get's checked by multiple persons before publication.

If you read lots of news articles, especially on news-websites but less so published newspapers, you'll notice how a lot of the same "facts" there are repeated across multiple news-sites, especially concerning stories which are breaking news and information is scarce of the ground. Concerning the Norwegian terror attacks, these "facts" included "white Norwegian male" "dressed as policeman" "radical right wing agenda" and unfortunately one of the memes that slipped out was also "likes video games", and this will circulate like a virus between multiple news sites because writers want and need content to fill up their word count. In the long run, as information becomes more available, this minor meme will be discarded as more relevant points and opinions emerge.

I'm glad to note you appear have dropped your objection to my point relating to bias&language, and now your objections seem to be based around the fair point that newspapers shouldn't make mistakes by printing irrelevant information or errors in general. I maintain however that while of course papers should try to be accurate as possible, it's unreasonable never to expect a mistake or two to crop up in print.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
UnknownGunslinger said:
"...shows a mind influenced by the fantasy imagery of online gaming."
We need to voice ourselves once more ? This is not acceptable!
We can't be the easy scape goat this time!

I hope you could join me in mailing Reuters concerning this article:
[link]http://reuters.zendesk.com/anonymous_requests/new[/link]
Try harder.

Taking one quote out of context and then forming a video-games-are-being-victimized-movement over it does absolutely nothing to help our cause.

How's this for a change: How about posting the rest of the article where it talks about how he was trying to form a 'Knights-Templars' movement, with imagery for said Knights-Templars inspired by the iconry of videogaming.

Seriously dude, it went on to describe a lot of fantasy bullshit that sounds heavily like it was either inspired by, or inspired from, gaming and/or video gaming.

It'd be like bitching about an article claiming that someone selfnamed 'The Drow Assassin' got the idea from D&D, and thus saying something fucking obvious and correct like that was anti-D&D propaganda.

It isn't anti-gaming agenda... it's a fact. This guy got his inspiration for his 'movement' from video games. That doesn't mean video games made him a whack job. It just means that this whack job got some ideas on how to be a whack job from gaming, rather than movies, or books, or corn flakes.

Chill the fuck out. Cause you know what ELSE is bad reporting? Taking a single statement out of context and blowing it the fuck out of proportion. Re-read the article, please.

Xannieros

Jul 29, 2008
Yes now lets get after all the TV and movies that show violence. You could learn more about firing a gun from the history channel than with a game.

Xealeon

Feb 9, 2009
Step 1: Mass-murderer claims he was influenced by video games

Step 2: Reuters reports that said mass-murderer was influenced by video games

Step 3: Reuters is biased against video games... wait what?

Honestly, I'm always against the media crying that video games cause violence but in this situation it's kinda hard to claim that it didn't have a hand. In the same way that books and movies have inspired violence before, sometimes it actually does happens and you have to deal with it. Going out and saying "Raaarh Reuters is biased because they claim video games influenced this guy!" is not going to help in any way. If we want to help get video games taken seriously then we can't just run out and rage every time anyone says a bad word about it without looking at all the facts.

UnknownGunslinger

Jan 29, 2011
DracoSuave said:
UnknownGunslinger said:

Try harder.

Taking one quote out of context and then forming a video-games-are-being-victimized-movement over it does absolutely nothing to help our cause.

How's this for a change: How about posting the rest of the article where it talks about how he was trying to form a 'Knights-Templars' movement, with imagery for said Knights-Templars inspired by the iconry of videogaming.

Seriously dude, it went on to describe a lot of fantasy bullshit that sounds heavily like it was either inspired by, or inspired from, gaming and/or video gaming.

It'd be like bitching about an article claiming that someone selfnamed 'The Drow Assassin' got the idea from D&D, and thus saying something fucking obvious and correct like that was anti-D&D propaganda.

It isn't anti-gaming agenda... it's a fact. This guy got his inspiration for his 'movement' from video games. That doesn't mean video games made him a whack job. It just means that this whack job got some ideas on how to be a whack job from gaming, rather than movies, or books, or corn flakes.

Chill the fuck out. Cause you know what ELSE is bad reporting? Taking a single statement out of context and blowing it the fuck out of proportion. Re-read the article, please.
No need for cursing someone you've never met on the internet so could you please chill.
Yes I am picking on one sentence in a otheriwise excellent and grounded article.
No, it is not out of context because there was no context given with this sentence in the article itself so please re-read it.

Stating a fact and voicing an opinion about the state of mind of a person at the time of his actions are two very different things! One is journalism, the other is biased journalism.

it's a fact. This guy got his inspiration for his 'movement' from video games. That doesn't mean video games made him a whack job. It just means that this whack job got some ideas on how to be a whack job from gaming, rather than movies, or books, or corn flakes.
Not true, if you read actual statements he very clearly names the factors that motivated his actions. He has used social games as excuses for not attending social events - a way to still look normal, and avoid suspicion by others while he worked on planing his criminal acts. He also says he enjoyed Modern Warfare because of its realism despite that he usualy prefers fantasy rpgs.
No where does he say gaming was a influence, motivator or other.

Singling out a factor of youth culture he was involved in and insinuatng it had mind altering influences when not backed-up by anything else but the personal opinions of the writers in an article is a biased article.
Presicesly because this is a fair and well written story, such a statement strikes more and damages us more.
And because Reuters actually cares about the quality of work it's journalist are doing in representing events I think it's imortant to voice out this statement that was given with no context at the time as unfair and insinuating report of events.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
UnknownGunslinger said:
DracoSuave said:
UnknownGunslinger said:

Try harder.

No need for cursing someone you've never met on the internet so could you please chill.
Yes I am picking on one sentence in a otheriwise excellent and grounded article.
No, it is not out of context because there was no context given with this sentence in the article itself so please re-read it.
The manifesto posted by Breivik, a self-styled founder member of a modern Knights Templar organization, hints at a wider conspiracy of self-appointed crusaders and shows a mind influenced by the fantasy imagery of online gaming.

"The order is to serve as an armed Indigenous Rights Organization and as a Crusader Movement (anti-Jihad movement)," he writes in the document, chunks of which are cut and pasted from other far-right, anti-Islam documents on the Internet.

Breivik says he is not against immigrants who integrate and reserves a lot of his fury for a liberal European political establishment he views as promoting Europe's destruction.

He hints at a wider conspiracy in the document, saying that the Knights Templar, a medieval order of crusading warrior monks, had been reconstituted in London in 2002.

Breivik attacks the "Islamic colonisation and Islamisation of Western Europe" and the "rise of cultural Marxism/multi-culturalism."

A video posted on YouTube called "Knights Templar 2083" showed pictures of Breivik, including one of him in a scuba diving outfit pointing an automatic weapon.

Sounds like it's describing some Knights-Templars stuff, stuff inspired by video game fantasy.

As I said... context is key, and the obvious context here is obvious.

Stating a fact and voicing an opinion about the state of mind of a person at the time of his actions are two very different things! One is journalism, the other is biased journalism.
In this case tho, it IS a fact, he DID get his inspiration from video games. He even stated it flat out. Seriously. Pay attention to the guy.

Yeah, he's not helping our cause... but the cause is just and right enough that it can withstand one act of journalism posting facts like how his methods were influenced by video-games. Because he SAID it was.

it's a fact. This guy got his inspiration for his 'movement' from video games. That doesn't mean video games made him a whack job. It just means that this whack job got some ideas on how to be a whack job from gaming, rather than movies, or books, or corn flakes.
Not true, if you read actual statements he very clearly names the factors that motivated his actions. He has used social games as excuses for not attending social events - a way to still look normal, and avoid suspicion by others while he worked on planing his criminal acts. He also says he enjoyed Modern Warfare because of its realism despite that he usualy prefers fantasy rpgs.
"I see MW2 more as a part of my training-simulation than anything else"
--Anders Behring Breivik

Singling out a factor of youth culture he was involved in and insinuatng it had mind altering influences when not backed-up by anything else but the personal opinions of the writers in an article is a biased article.
Presicesly because this is a fair and well written story, such a statement strikes more and damages us more.
And because Reuters actually cares about the quality of work it's journalist are doing in representing events I think it's imortant to voice out this statement that was given with no context at the time as unfair and insinuating report of events.
Except... the article just doesn't say he was inspired by video game imagery, it goes on to describe things he has done that were inspired by video game imagery... and obviously so.

Just because you don't like it, don't make it any less true, pal. He's hurting our cause, but silencing the media over it ain't helping ours. Save the rage for portrayals that are genuinely unfair. This guy WAS inspired by video games, and has said so himself. Instead, you should condemn the man and encourage examination of his hatred and mindset, and show that such damaged personalities would have found inspiration for his heinous monstrousities in any media.

UnknownGunslinger

Jan 29, 2011
Xealeon said:
Step 1: Mass-murderer claims he was influenced by video games

Step 2: Reuters reports that said mass-murderer was influenced by video games

Step 3: Reuters is biased against video games... wait what?

Honestly, I'm always against the media crying that video games cause violence but in this situation it's kinda hard to claim that it didn't have a hand. In the same way that books and movies have inspired violence before, sometimes it actually does happens and you have to deal with it. Going out and saying "Raaarh Reuters is biased because they claim video games influenced this guy!" is not going to help in any way. If we want to help get video games taken seriously then we can't just run out and rage every time anyone says a bad word about it without looking at all the facts.
Hi, what I found problematic with that story was that there were no facts given :( And yet a statement about the state of his mind during his crimes was made and connected out of everything else that was pointed in the article with social games!
No this is no way near the worst article out there I know, but it's one I find very troubling because in an otherwise serious and well written story such unfounded statement was allowed to exist. Reuters is a serious media outlet and I'm sure if pointed out they would reprimand this.
Games were not stated by him as inspiration for his acts, this is the link from which all the statements connecting games to his actions are taken:
[link]http://unitednations.ispnw.org/archives/breivik-manifesto-2011.pdf[/link]
You can find across all the ramblings the few that talk about games and you'll see why I cant agree that they were really an influence:
One states that they can be used as a good cover story for not attending social events and thus escape suspicion by close people, the other says he usually likes Fantasy RPGS, and that Modern Warfare is very realistic.
That's all there is. Can you really use this as a greater influence on his mindset over everything else he talks about!

UnknownGunslinger

Jan 29, 2011
DracoSuave said:
UnknownGunslinger said:
DracoSuave said:
UnknownGunslinger said:

Try harder.

The manifesto posted by Breivik, a self-styled founder member of a modern Knights Templar organization, hints at a wider conspiracy of self-appointed crusaders and shows a mind influenced by the fantasy imagery of online gaming.

"The order is to serve as an armed Indigenous Rights Organization and as a Crusader Movement (anti-Jihad movement)," he writes in the document, chunks of which are cut and pasted from other far-right, anti-Islam documents on the Internet.

Breivik says he is not against immigrants who integrate and reserves a lot of his fury for a liberal European political establishment he views as promoting Europe's destruction.

He hints at a wider conspiracy in the document, saying that the Knights Templar, a medieval order of crusading warrior monks, had been reconstituted in London in 2002.

Breivik attacks the "Islamic colonisation and Islamisation of Western Europe" and the "rise of cultural Marxism/multi-culturalism."

A video posted on YouTube called "Knights Templar 2083" showed pictures of Breivik, including one of him in a scuba diving outfit pointing an automatic weapon.

Sounds like it's describing some Knights-Templars stuff, stuff inspired by video game fantasy.

In this case tho, it IS a fact, he DID get his inspiration from video games. He even stated it flat out. Seriously. Pay attention to the guy.

Yeah, he's not helping our cause... but the cause is just and right enough that it can withstand one act of journalism posting facts like how his methods were influenced by video-games. Because he SAID it was.

"I see MW2 more as a part of my training-simulation than anything else"
--Anders Behring Breivik

Except... the article just doesn't say he was inspired by video game imagery, it goes on to describe things he has done that were inspired by video game imagery... and obviously so.

Just because you don't like it, don't make it any less true, pal. He's hurting our cause, but silencing the media over it ain't helping ours. Save the rage for portrayals that are genuinely unfair. This guy WAS inspired by video games, and has said so himself. Instead, you should condemn the man and encourage examination of his hatred and mindset, and show that such damaged personalities would have found inspiration for his heinous monstrousities in any media.
I'm sorry I just cant agree games were really influencing to his behaviour given what he has said so far about them.

I agree context really is key so you can read his actual statements and judge for youself: [link]http://unitednations.ispnw.org/archives/breivik-manifesto-2011.pdf[/link]
The Knights-Templar parts are him talking about the historical knights-templars.
Not video game inspired ones.
And out of all the hateful things he states, the few connected to his video games don't in any way show he had his "mind influenced by the fantasy imagery of online gaming."
He states what a great scapegoat from social events WOW guild excuses can be.
He says he likes fantasy RPGS and the only reason he played MW was because it was realistic and he believed it can be used as tactics education for some reason!
If he said he was reading Tom Clancy although he don't usually likes those book so he can learn tactics from them I dont think it would've been cited on Reuters!
That's all I'm trying to say.