Help! Skyrim Used to Run Fine, But Now it Doesn't!!!

Cryofthewolf

Feb 28, 2008
Hello fellow Escapists,
I have recently come across a problem with Skyrim (surprise surprise). It used to run just fine on my laptop with little to no lag with a bunch of mods installed. Recently, however, it started crashing to desktop without errors like it did when the game first came out. So first, wanting to keep my mods, tried getting rid of background programs and setting the sound quality down. Nothing was fixed. I then bit the bullet, uninstalled all of the mods, and tried to play the game. Something happened in between all of this, where the game is now extremely choppy and slow (when I move the control stick on the Xbox controller I play with the game responds about five seconds later). Good news is that I think it isn't crashing anymore, as I 'played' the game for about five minutes without it crashing, as it was crashing within 1-2 minutes before. So yeah, it's virtually unplayable.

Does anybody have any idea where I could have gone wrong (I know I didn't give that much information, sorry!), or how I can fix it? Without Skyrim, I'm getting schoolwork done and being productive, and that scares me. Thanks for the help guys! :)

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Try the standard PC tricks: Update drivers, verify steam cache, re-install if none of that works.

Other than that, search steams Skyrim forums or poke around Google.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Are you sure you installed the mods correctly.
I had the mods installed the old fashioned way for Fallout 3 and it seemed to work fine until I got to one area then it would constantly CTD. Once I learned how to install them correctly with the mod-manager, it worked very well.
I don't have skyrim yet but I'm assuming there's probably some type of similar program you need to install the mods correctly.

I also want to put in a "Bethesda game not working: Big Surprise." comment but I hope the advise helps too.