Help with first PC build

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
albino boo said:
There is nothing wrong with that build and it will work well. I'm going to give you another option. Going with a i7-4790K and a GTX970. Its upfront performance will no be as good but the extra CPU horsepower with future proof your build more. Its easier upgrading a GPU than a CPU so getting a less powerful GPU in the short term and upgrading in 18 months or so will give you longer shelf life. It rather depends on how long you plan on keeping this rig before upgrading again. My i7 3770k is rarely pushed despite its age.
Allright, I'll think about that, thanks. Might go for the i7-4790 anyway, depending on how deep it gets discounted. I'm only buying the parts on sale, so I've got about a month to think until Black Friday / Cyber Monday I reckon. My reasoning for the CPU/GPU is simply because I've always been told that GPU > CPU when it comes to gaming.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Saregon said:
Allright, I'll think about that, thanks. Might go for the i7-4790 anyway, depending on how deep it gets discounted. I'm only buying the parts on sale, so I've got about a month to think until Black Friday / Cyber Monday I reckon. My reasoning for the CPU/GPU is simply because I've always been told that GPU > CPU when it comes to gaming.
As with everything in this life it's a trade off. A high end GPu will give you good performance now but will have a shorter life time. There comes a point when when adding a new GPU will will just bottleneck the CPU and not add any advantage. The will come quicker with an i5 compared to i7 of the same generation. If you plan to do new build in 3 years time, then go for the i5 because the high end cards wont have bottlenecked yet on the i5. If you looking at 5 years then the i7 is better bet to be able to run the top cards.