Help with the 1980s

Harkwell

Sep 14, 2009
So I was thinking of doing a webcomic set in the 1980s, problem is I don't know enough about the 80s to be able to follow the flavor of it. I figured there were some games and movies I could play/watch that would help me out. Know any guys?

I've played GTA: Vice city and Brayko's level in Alpha Protocol and those helped.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980s

You seem to want to stick with pop culture so there is a section dedicated to that in the above link. Google is your friend.

Neo10101

Sep 7, 2009
You should either have one where it is the rise and fall of a hair metal band, or the beginning of someone like mastering a computer and the internet. Whether it is just a hacker or a nerd.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
watch Scarface I think it,s a good representation of 80,s Miami.
also watch allot of movies set in that era.

Aur0ra145

Elite Member
May 22, 2009
Can anybody say "Cocaine." The war on drugs was in full swing in the 1980's.

Movies:

Cocaine Cowboys
Blow
Scarface
other movies made in the 1980's
I would suggest watching some of the chick flicks from that era.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
You will need to see the special Space Shuttle Challenger episode of Punky Brewster, several episodes of Gallactica 1980, at least one season of The Fall Guy and the entire collected works of John Hughes to even start understanding the eighties. If you know the name of the family that adopted the character played by Emmanuel Lewis, and know who Gordon Shumway was then you might have a fighting chance.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Harkwell said:
So I was thinking of doing a webcomic set in the 1980s, problem is I don't know enough about the 80s to be able to follow the flavor of it. I figured there were some games and movies I could play/watch that would help me out. Know any guys?

I've played GTA: Vice city and Brayko's level in Alpha Protocol and those helped.
May I ask why you want to put the comic to the '80s if you do not know enough about the '80s?

I personally prefer to write about things I at least have some knowledge of. So I would most likely never set a story to Japan, or any other exotic country I know next to nothing about, because it wouldn't feel authentic.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Watch the first Back to the Future. That's what a young adult in the 80's was apparently going through. I wish I was around back then, with time traveling cars, alternate timelines and all that jazz.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
First, write what you know. So this means either change the time period or watch a crap-ton of I Love the 80s. Second, good luck with the webcomic.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
I find that ignoring everything before the 90s is a generally a good idea.

But, if you wanna risk it, look at wikipedia for ideas.