Here's an idea: Let's disband Anonymous.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Not everyone is going to agree with this. Before you start shouting, let me just say ahead of time that I'm not interested in a loud debate. I'll hear constructive opinions, but I'm not taking attitudes.

Here's the thing. Anon keeps poking its head above water to do its latest thing and where you stand is where you stand, but I think...that after all that's gone on...we have a problem. We have this problem of who Anonymous is, right? The whole thing about how anyone saying they're Anonymous may as well BE that and so on? We've seen how that sort of issue kinda' makes it hard to trust the source and believe anything they say at face-value. (Nigh-impossible when you don't HAVE a face.)

The debate about them being right and wrong will go on forever, and the problem of whether anything they do IS their intention or a pretender or a rebel or an idiot still remains to screw up the coveted point of their BEING an Anonymous. So, the solution I thought up is easy...

Anonymous no more.

The proper existence of any established group depends on at least two things: Information and perception. We don't have proper information on Anonymous, because anyone can put on a Guy Fawkes mask these days and go "Boogie boogie blah!". The other important aspect - perception - is in our court. If they don't function as an organization that can keep track of itself, keep its name out of the mud, etc...then we can just deny them their right to BE an organization.

Essentially, no shield and no excuse for any of those who try to hide under the name. They don't have the RIGHT to be a group, because they can't handle the responsibility that goes with it. If they DID, then they probably would've blasted the Lulsec morons out of the water for their own good. Anonymous becomes just a euphemism for doing what you like without thinking.

"This is not anarchy, Eve. This is Chaos." [http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_gH_BmKOWGBo/TLbAH8or1CI/AAAAAAAAATo/WLiBWA9PWJU/s1600/anarchy.jpg]

OneOfTheMichael's

Jul 26, 2010
I don't think there is anything we can do to stop them or any reason why we should care and let the "professionals" do all the work.

nima55

Paladin of Traffic Law
Nov 14, 2010
since anon technically isn't really an organization, I think they might already be considered disbanded

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
nima55 said:
since anon technically isn't really an organization, I think they might already be considered disbanded
Here's a funny thing: I don't think they properly know that. The idea here is to sort of send the message.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Anon isn't a group.

The Anonymous movement is an idea, it can't be disbanded and it can't be unthought. It just is.
You can say Anonymous isn't anything any more but the fact it was something will make people think it up all over again.
You can't stop people thinking for themselves, wearing a mask and standing up and saying "No".

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
Umm...sure, if you think that you can disban anon, go for. I'm sure you'd have about 20,000$ worth of pizza sent to your house.
I don't think you should, I like them, they are fun, but if you want to try putting out a forest fire, you better bring more than dixie cups. You'd need some BIG guns.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
I'm sorry, but does this change anything? So we don't acknowlege Anonymous as a group, so what? Now we have a bunch of self-rightous individuals all working more or less together towards the same ideals. Maybe it will be easier for people to understand what's going on because they wont be trying to comprehend the concept of an organization that has no organization, but these people will continue to do what they do.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
FalloutJack said:
nima55 said:
Here's a funny thing: I don't think they properly know that. The idea here is to sort of send the message.
Then post your OP on 4chan and see what happens.

There's not really a lot of anon on this forum. (you can tell by a lot of the comments sometimes)

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
zehydra said:
FalloutJack said:
nima55 said:
Then post your OP on 4chan and see what happens.

There's not really a lot of anon on this forum. (you can tell by a lot of the comments sometimes)
What? They're not the Dollars (Durarara reference). They'd probably throw up a load of unintelligable responses, far worse than I would get here. I don't know who's who here and I don't pretend to want to find out.

Here's what's happening: I'm lighting a match. If it picks up something, fine. If it flickers and dies, fine. I think that if they've really lost their way, their path to the final goal, they should stop and reboot until they do it right. The current setup doesn't light the path where they want it to go. When that happens, you've gotta regroup and try something else.

And here's just a little thing that I thought of which is crazy...but it might also be true. What if Anon attacking companies and such is like companies trying to squash piracy? What if, because of its execution, it inherently can't win because of the high degrees of resistance? If that were true, then would you have them fight fruitlessly forever?

LikeDustInTheWind

Mar 29, 2010
Lyri said:
Anon isn't a group.

The Anonymous movement is an idea, it can't be disbanded and it can't be unthought. It just is.
You can say Anonymous isn't anything any more but the fact it was something will make people think it up all over again.
You can't stop people thinking for themselves, wearing a mask and standing up and saying "No".
*Applause*

I believe this fits perfectly.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
Lyri said:
Anon isn't a group.

Huzzah! Many people in this thread understand Anonymous.

To put it simply, Anonymous is a meme. Every time you invoke it, positively or negatively, its power grows. One can't force a meme into existence, nor out of it. It's the classic Schneider's Polar Bear: don't think of a white polar bear and all you can do is think of it. Similarly, the more we try to disavow our acknowledgement of Anonymous the more we end up thinking about it.

The reason that it's not a single entity is because it's just a meme, it's just individuals liking their interpretation of a particular concept and running with it. There is no 'Anonymous' in the same way that there is no 'lolcats', there's just the individual invocations of both concepts.

Making any discussion about Anonymous is tantamount to making a discussion saying "I love Anonymous!" because all you're doing is helping to spread the meme.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
wootsman said:
BGH122 said:
Lyri said:
Anon isn't a group.

Huzzah! Many people in this thread understand Anonymous.

To put it simply, Anonymous is a meme. Every time you invoke it, positively or negatively, its power grows. One can't force a meme into existence, nor out of it. It's the classic Schneider's Polar Bear: don't think of a white polar bear and all you can do is think of it. Similarly, the more we try to disavow our acknowledgement of Anonymous the more we end up thinking about it.

The reason that it's not a single entity is because it's just a meme, it's just individuals liking their interpretation of a particular concept and running with it. There is no 'Anonymous' in the same way that there is no 'lolcats', there's just the individual invocations of both concepts.

Making any discussion about Anonymous is tantamount to making a discussion saying "I love Anonymous!" because all you're doing is helping to spread the meme.
Do you even know what a meme is.
Yup! A meme is the idea equivalent of an allele which succeeds because of its success in being spread amongst populations due to its ability to respond positively to the demands of the environment (the environment being, in this case, peoples' desires).

Meme != Funny copypasta. Funny copypasta is one example of a meme, not memes in and of themselves.

jumjalalabash

Jan 25, 2010
Only way to disband is by having the feds make more arrests for the horseshit they cause. Nerds are incredibly vulnerable to fear and punishment.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
wootsman said:
meme= something only a certain group knows about.
Nope, that's not what that word means:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/meme?r=75&src=ref&ch=dic said:
meme
noun
a cultural item that is transmitted by repetition in a manner analogous to the biological transmission of genes.
Origin:
1976; < Gk m&#299;meîsthai to imitate, copy; coined by R. Dawkins, Brit. biologist