Here's How BioShock Would Look on CryEngine 3

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Of all the games that need graphics update... sorry, but Bioshock is not one of them. Do Deus Ex and then I'll be impressed.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
I can't actually see much difference. But then the last time I played Bioshock, it was on my 2011 PC, which makes the most recent console generation cry with shame.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
I am going to be honest. Bioshock was already a beautiful game, and I can't notice that much of a difference aside from a few more round curves. I just think this gen's graphics can't impress me anymore. God of War 3 was the peak for me (funny since I hated that game) and I still haven't seen anything to top it yet it pure visual beauty. I consider CryEngine 3 very much this gen, also.

Thankfully I am not after "graphics" in games since some of my favorite polygon rendered games still come the PS1/N64 era.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
CryEngine3 is brilliant for outdoor scenes, not so brilliant when it comes to indoor stuff. I don't think BioShock is a good fit for the engine.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
Perhaps it's been too long since I played, but I don't remember what the graphics looked like before. However the "mopped up a bit" look makes it look kinda sterile and CryEngine3 or not, that is not an improvement. EQ2 and DOOM 3 tried to say their clay-mation looking graphics were an improvement, but they were not either. Sometimes it's better to keep a respectable distance from the uncanny valley.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
karloss01 said:
Mojo_22 said:
notyouraveragejoe said:
I can't believe all you guys left out the most important part.
Rainboq said:
Dear 2K and Crytek, ... Would you kindly port Bioshock to Cryengine 3? We want to punish our graphics cards while reblowing our minds, as is the case every time we replay Bioshock. -sincerely everyone.
Wow I feel so silly having forgotten that. Would you kindly forgive my mistake?

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
I think it's an excellent example of the diminishing returns we're getting on graphics advancements at this point. It looks better, I guess, but it doesn't look like it actually improves the atmosphere, or adds oppurtunities for superior environmental story-telling or anything. It's a graphics advancement for its own sake, which would be fine, except doing it is so ludicrously expensive.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
notyouraveragejoe said:
DVS BSTrD said:
karloss01 said:
Mojo_22 said:
notyouraveragejoe said:
I can't believe all you guys left out the most important part.
Rainboq said:
Dear 2K and Crytek, ... Would you kindly port Bioshock to Cryengine 3? We want to punish our graphics cards while reblowing our minds, as is the case every time we replay Bioshock. -sincerely everyone.
Wow I feel so silly having forgotten that. Would you kindly forgive my mistake?
Is a man not entitled to forgiveness?
No says Jonathan Crane in Dark Knight Rises! No says Robocop! No says the judge that condemns Marv at the end of the first story of Sin City!

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
chadachada123 said:
...That's it? Maybe I'm confused, but it doesn't look all that impressive to me.
This. Just looks like it has slightly better textures. I guess maybe seeing the whole thing moving/with more stuff on screen could make it look more impressive?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, it looks sharper and crisper, but I don't see much difference from the original game.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Eh. It's OK I guess. The brass vent and tiled floor aren't as shiny as they are in BioShock, which kind of detracts from the realism. Say what you will about Unreal 2.5, it rendered semigloss really well, making it a good fit for an Art Deco environment with a lot of unpolished brass in it. The Cry Engine was never about realistic textures; it was about cramming massive, sprawling environments into every scene purely because it can. Which obviously doesn't amount to a hill of beans in a game like BioShock. Honestly, with a few tweaks to the now-public shader code, you could recreate Rapture in the Source engine about as well as this.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I honestly see no difference between that and my memories of Bioshock. This generation is already beyond my ability to say whether or not the graphics are good; any game that looks better than Resident Evil 4 looked on the GameCube looks exactly as good for me.

captcha: I think so
Thanks for the humility lesson, buddy.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
chadachada123 said:
...That's it? Maybe I'm confused, but it doesn't look all that impressive to me.
You're far from the only one. Maybe I remember Bioshock with rose-colored glasses- I remember being quite impressed with the graphics from the get-go- but I don't see anything in the screen shots that exactly shakes my foundations.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
Meh, I really don't think Bioshock needs a graphical upgrade the art ascetic keeps it almost timeless