Here's the Final Numbers on the Humble Indie Bundle #2

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
SimuLord said:
Linux users paid the highest. Windows users paid the lowest. The former were twice as generous as the latter. Why am I not surprised?
That should be obvious, because Linux people bothered to get it going.
I tried a couple times, but Sabayon Linux died halfway up VMWare Player's ass and I gave up on that.

Ontopic, I didn't buy the bundle, but that's pretty awesome.
I'd probably pay 5 bucks :/

sune-ku

Cynical optimist
Mar 25, 2009
Glad to hear it's such a success, it's a great idea and it's benificial to both players and devs! I felt bad about my fellow windows users so put down $20 for it (which turned out to be about £13 which I thought was a good deal!) and am glad I did so.

Hope this becomes something of an annual institution, 'cause it's a great way to pick up some of the year's indi games.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
SimuLord said:
This may be a bit of a threadjack, but how long before the US government officially outlaws BitTorrent under the DMCA? Yes, BT can be and has been used to do things that are entirely legitimate (this link, Blizzard's distributed method of getting WoW patches out, most Linux distros, just to name three off the top of my head) but usually "torrent" is all but synonymous with "means of piracy".
No, yes, maybe?

A torrent isnt inherrently illegal, they won't outlaw it for the same reason VHS is legal. It has legitimate uses.

Gunner_Guardian

Jul 15, 2009
I put down $5 for it personally.

Pretty good deal.

Also since I got it early I managed to snag the first Humble Indie Bundle ^_^

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
I think they found the magic number people want to pay at right around $10 per bundle.

LegendaryGamer0 said:
I feel like a prick... I only paid $0.94...
Just give them $20 for the next bundle.

SimuLord said:
redmarine said:
StriderShinryu said:
Now to see how many people pirated the collection even though they could have paid even a single dollar for it.
Due to the high demand for pirating it the humble bundle guys actually created a torrent themselves in which people can use to get it.

http://torrentfreak.com/humble-indie-bundle-2-embraces-bittorrent-101224/
This may be a bit of a threadjack, but how long before the US government officially outlaws BitTorrent under the DMCA? Yes, BT can be and has been used to do things that are entirely legitimate (this link, Blizzard's distributed method of getting WoW patches out, most Linux distros, just to name three off the top of my head) but usually "torrent" is all but synonymous with "means of piracy".
I actually worry about stuff like that. It seems Obama's administration is friendlier to big buisness then everyone accuses the Bush administration of being. They seem to mostly be quashing peoples rights with technology in favor of business right now. I started to worry after the courts got the balls to overturn the FCC's rulings against Comcast's bandwidth shaping practices. The more they pull out the "evil" technology card against things like that the more I worry they are cooking up something that will make the DCMA seem tame by comparison.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I ended up putting down 20 on it, but mostly because I gave so much to desert bus.

RMcD94

Nov 25, 2009
So how much did they lose? The cost of the games together is how much, I thought they said something like $50, I may be wrong, can't remember and it's not on the website.

The average price someone bought it for was $43 how much it should have.

So profitable.

chris11246

Jul 29, 2009
how did the person who paid the highest come up with $6,132.96. It seems so random.

OT: I didn't buy this one because I didnt want any of the games but I bought the last one. I forget how much I paid but I think it was around $20. I wonder how much this is helping them though, are they losing profit to gain enough customers?

Don't taze me bro

Feb 26, 2009
I paid $10, even though I already owned the original bundle. And before anyone asks, I already have decided who I'll gift the original bundle to.

Don't taze me bro

Feb 26, 2009
RMcD94 said:
So how much did they lose? The cost of the games together is how much, I thought they said something like $50, I may be wrong, can't remember and it's not on the website.

The average price someone bought it for was $43 how much it should have.

So profitable.
Being digitally distributed, it's not like they have to play distributors, and no retailer is getting their cut either. I'm obviously not privvy to what deals they did with onlive and steam, but any money made should be profit, because they shouldn't have any overheads.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
IF I remember rightly, you choose who gets your money, can split it up between the makers of the games and the two charities, so I'd have to guess the makers all put their games forward essentially for nothing, and just wait til the end to see if they get anything back.

Essentially they all donated the rights to their hard work and their game to the charities for the time, and if people chose to pay them part of the money, that's just a bonus.

As much as I support the charity side, I do hope each game got at least a few thousand bucks out of that nearly $2 million pile.

pokepuke

Dec 28, 2010
Why mention Notch again? Do the editors here really have such a hard-on for that guy that they can't stop bringing him up undeservedly?

cody4k

Dec 29, 2010
I paid $60 since I really appreciate that all the games are available DRM free and on Linux.