Here's What Game of Thrones' Map Would Look Like If It Was Based in America

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
LysanderNemoinis said:
MeChaNiZ3D said:
Hagi said:
Would have much sooner expected the wall at the Mexican border...

Especially considering there's actually a wall/fence there.
Was about to suggest that, what with illegal immigrants from Mexico and the threat of an influx of them being a much bigger villain than stereotypically polite and demonstrably more progressive Canadians.

I haven't watched Game of Thrones (but will, I swear), but these White Walkers...do they slip by this Wall at the rate of millions a year, have about a thousand or so sent back in return, and about half the country who built the wall Wall want to make the Walkers full citizens despite being law-breakers? Plus our "Wall" isn't even half finished and the fence doesn't deter anyone.
Actually the wall works in Game of Thrones and so far no White Walkers have gotten through, so perhaps there really isn't an ideal US equivalent, but there's a case to be made for Wildlings being the Mexicans.

Gailim

Oct 13, 2009
Mr.Tea said:
Gailim said:
in English "america" without any other qualifiers almost always means the USA.

In Spanish and Portuguese it means north and south america as in those languages those are both one big continent.
I don't give a crap that the U.S has co-opted the term "America(n)"; I'm saying that Westeros is a continent and their map looks stupid when they put Winterfell at a lower latitude than freaking Casterly Rock.

Then I made a comment that derived from me wanting to ask: "Why did they bend over backwards trying to crowbar locations in obviously wrong places just so it would stay inside continental U.S borders??"
because the entire point of this is for americans to make fun of other americans

no need to get angry

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Thought I'd have a crack at making an England version:

-Winterfell = Manchester

-King's Landing = London

-Oldtown = Chester, or York.

- Casterly Rock = Bamburugh Castle, Northumberland.

- Highgarden= ??

- Eyrie = Cornwall

- Harrenhal = Birmingham (?)

- The Wall = Hadrian's Wall

- Castle Black = Carlisle

- Dorne = ??

Wasn't sure about a couple, Dorne is quite difficult because we don't have any dry and arid areas in England, and being a small country London is applicable to lots of different categories. Still, at least we have actual castles and actual walls which make the comparisons quite easy.

rusad

Mar 29, 2011
If the wall is the US/Canadian border, then that makes Canadians the Free Folk. Quite the tongue in cheek commentary about the state of freedom in the United States.

Sneezeguard

Oct 13, 2010
Nickolai77 said:
Thought I'd have a crack at making an England version:

-Winterfell = Manchester

-King's Landing = London

-Oldtown = Chester, or York.

- Casterly Rock = Bamburugh Castle, Northumberland.

- Highgarden= ??

- Eyrie = Cornwall

- Harrenhal = Birmingham (?)

- The Wall = Hadrian's Wall

- Castle Black = Carlisle

- Dorne = ??

Wasn't sure about a couple, Dorne is quite difficult because we don't have any dry and arid areas in England, and being a small country London is applicable to lots of different categories. Still, at least we have actual castles and actual walls which make the comparisons quite easy.
I would put Newcastle as Winterfell

Wales as the Vale because it is quite mountainous and hilly

The reach is definitely Kent/the southeast (it's called the garden of England!)

Yorkshire with it's forests and parks as the Riverlands.

maybe cornwall for Dorne

and Bath for Old town

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Why is American Casterly rock so close to the wall? Someone didn't think that through.

Also Kansas City is River Run and St. Louis would be the Twins.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
IamLEAM1983 said:
So if you're a Canadian Game of Thrones fan, what does that make you? A Wildling or a White Walker?
That just depends on whether or not you are French.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Jadak said:
IamLEAM1983 said:
So if you're a Canadian Game of Thrones fan, what does that make you? A Wildling or a White Walker?
That just depends on whether or not you are French.
I'll play along...

I'm French-Canadian by birth. Hit me with your best shot. ;)

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
There is no way that Winterfell would be Detroit - it would be Chicago. Detroit is literally on the border, Winterfell is NOT. Also, Winterfell was a thriving city before it was burned to the ground which superficially resembles Detroit (1967 riots) Detroit was long in decline before that. So Chicago would be a better fit than Detroit.

If you want Detroit to be in there, have it be one of the 3 castles that the Nights Watch still patrol; possibly Castle Black itself. Castle Black should be an individual city, not the entire border. Particularly not when the border is used for both it and the Wall.

/you have no idea how hard it is to type the word "Chicago" in any sort of a positive way for this fan of the Lions, Tigers and Pistons...