Here's Your First Ant-Man Trailer

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Here's Your First Ant-Man Trailer

"Is it too late too change the name?"

Debuting first during the premiere of last night's Agent Carter miniseries, Marvel has now released the first trailer for Ant-Man; giving fans their first real look at what the unique new superhero adventure will look and feel like as ex-superhero scientist Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) recruits thief Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) to become the new Ant-Man.

While for laughs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139278-Marvel-Releases-Ant-Sized-Ant-Man-Teaser] - perhaps acknowledging the likelihood that mainstream audiences may react to the premise with "Are you joking?" - the trailer plays things mostly straight, with a serious (if small in scale compared to other Marvel productions) tone and matter-of-fact reveal for the hero's unusual size-changing and bug-conversing abilities.

The film is widely seen as the first real "troubled" production from Marvel studios. Originally planned as part of the studio's pre-Disney "Phase 1" plans, the feature was delayed multiple times to accommodate the schedule of writer/director Edgar Wright... only to see him leave the project mid-production in early 2014 over Peyton Reed, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134763-Edgar-Wright-No-Longer-Directing-Marvels-Ant-Man] with Anchorman writer/director Adam McKay having contributed to a revised post-Wright screenplay.

Source: Marvel Entertainment [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xInh3VhAWs8]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Fortyseven203

Sep 25, 2008
A surprisingly uninspired thing. The camcorder clip of Ant-Man beating up those two guys at the end of a corridor in the test footage was more engaging to me. We'll see how it goes as more comes out, I guess.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Yeah, it's not the biggest grabber. The GotG trailers didn't grab me either though and the final film was a blast. The Thor sequel didn't quite click with me, but that aside I think Marvel have been consistently pretty damned good since the first Captain America[footnote]Good but not as good before that, in my most humble of opinions.[/footnote]. That's five in a row. They're on a great streak so long as it doesn't break with this.

Edit: To clarify, while I've not been grabbed by the lapels I still think the film is going to turn out at least decent if not better. The missus and I will sure as hell be in the cinema come summer to give this a shot.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
It's "widely seen as the most troubled" because people like you keep pushing that story. I'd hazard that there are issues on the set of every Marvel film, and they've all been incredibly enjoyable. Let Edgar Wright go already...

As for the trailer, looked good to me. Following GotG and AoU, the films need to get back to a more human sized level, otherwise they'll be trapped into getting bigger and bigger until they're unwatchable. This looks like a great little flick to do that. Bravo.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I'm more optimistic than most people I think. Paul Rudd is a very likeable actor, that ant-riding looks strangely badass, and Marvel will have never really done anything bad. At worst it'll just be mediocre, but are we all forgetting The Incredible Hulk and Thor 2?

Razhem

Sep 9, 2008
Just knowing that it isn't Hank Pym under the costume is enough of a start for me (yes, I keep disconnected from the movie news to avoid spoilers).

Still not expecting this one to be anything to amazing.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
The production looks good, but that's almost a given at this point. They have a solid cast of lead actors. The quality of this film will really come down to the writing, and while Douglas' speech from the trailer sounds pretty good, that's only a single scene and can't speak for the rest of the film.

I'll wait for more trailers and some reviews of the actual film before I get excited over this one. Ant-man isn't among my favorite Avengers, so I'm more concerned with getting the film right than the character(s).

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Verlander said:
It's "widely seen as the most troubled" because people like you keep pushing that story. I'd hazard that there are issues on the set of every Marvel film, and they've all been incredibly enjoyable. Let Edgar Wright go already...

As for the trailer, looked good to me. Following GotG and AoU, the films need to get back to a more human sized level, otherwise they'll be trapped into getting bigger and bigger until they're unwatchable. This looks like a great little flick to do that. Bravo.
I second both of these sentiments.

Every tidbit about this movie that comes out gets followed with whining about Wright leaving. Many movies have production issues. It's not a death sentence for a film.

I like the smaller scope of this movie to contrast the recent larger ones. And based on the tone and the little bit of plot shown, I think the movie will be pretty good at worst. I'm thinking it'll end up in the middle of the pack as far my personal MCU ranking goes.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Verlander said:
the films need to get back to a more human sized level, otherwise they'll be trapped into getting bigger and bigger until they're unwatchable. This looks like a great little flick to do that. Bravo.
Spaceman Spiff said:
I like the smaller scope of this movie to contrast the recent larger ones.
...was that intentional?

OT: I want to see him riding a bee flying ant, if that isn't in the film, I will be slightly disappointed.
Also the costume, because of the mask and the red/black color scheme reminds me of Star Lord, I'm not sure if that's good or bad following GOTG so soon.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah, not feeling this one. Though I'm not familiar with Ant-Man so maybe it's just right. But it looks like they're going for kind of an Iron-Man hook, except they're not really pulling it off. Ofcourse maybe this is just a bad trailer.

Lord Garnaat

Apr 10, 2012
I think the worst thing this movie can do is take itself too seriously. People see the title "Ant-Man" and they don't immediately think of some big drama. He isn't exactly an A-list hero, and while I think his powers are cool it's not hard for some to not take them seriously. I feel as though this movie should be advertised more like Guardians of the Galaxy: a fun, colorful coffee-break between the "serious" Marvel movies, that nevertheless delivers impressively on characters, humor, and lore. Trying to build it up like the next Dark Knight doesn't help anyone.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Interesting. Looks to be a smaller scale (no pun intended) Iron Man story. (Technology themed hero has to protect his tech from evil business bad guy using same tech.)

If I had to venture a guess, this is probably going to fit in more with their Civil War storyline than it is the bigger Infinity War story.

I'd put good money on Ant-Man taking the Spider-Man role for that story arc as the only current in universe hero with a secret identity and a personal life to be ruined by its reveal.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
I would've preferred an edgier new MCU character, by having about-to-be-slapped-around-by-Steve Ultimate's Hank Pym used instead. But, given the tone of the MCU, I can understand why they wouldn't want to make that potentially dark a film with that daft a name/concept. That's a balancing act even they probably couldn't ever pull off.

I've always liked Paul Rudd, so it seems Marvel's still nailing good casting, which I'd say is a major part of their success. Great suit design, too.
Lord Garnaat said:
Trying to build it up like the next Dark Knight doesn't help anyone.
What about that trailer even suggests they're doing that? It ends with taking the piss out of itself over the very name, which feels like the exact opposite to Nolan's films.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
Verlander said:
Let Edgar Wright go already...
Kinda seconded. (or thirded at this point, or whathaveyou) While it was an interesting story - and man would I have wanted to see that film - who isn't directing it is less and less of an issue as that event receeds into the past.

OP-wise? not a knock my socks off trailer. Could be good, and as others have said they've done more with as little if not less, premise-wise.

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
This trailer has me pumped. Love that Scott has a family. Also him riding the ant, so iconic can't wait.

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
Eclipse Dragon said:
OT: I want to see him riding a bee, if that isn't in the film, I will be slightly disappointed.
He's known for riding flying ants, so I'm going to guess it's not likely.

He could ride a wasp, but I'll bet that's unlikely as well in this movie.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
That got to be the greatest response ever (heh).

Also Scott, would the alternative names to Ant-man would be any better like Giant Man (well ok that name only apply when Hank alter the formula to become a giant instead), Yellowjacket or Wasp (yes Hank did became Wasp in honor of his late wife)? Those were the other mantle that Hank took up as?

Also I think this superhero is a interesting one since he didn't start of as a norble or normal guy (I mean he is a thief right?).

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
jabrwock said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
OT: I want to see him riding a bee, if that isn't in the film, I will be slightly disappointed.
He's known for riding flying ants, so I'm going to guess it's not likely.

He could ride a wasp, but I'll bet that's unlikely as well in this movie.
Just as good, well... almost. I was really just looking for any winged insect.
[sub]A wasp would be a smarter war mount than an ant but I guess "ant man" although praying mantis beats them all.[/sub]

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
They certainly are setting up some kind of bizarre dark theme for a silly looking character.

"Heh"

Oh, look, the tone is flying away on an Ant.

Then again... Guardians had a trailer making the film seem like it would be great and that didn't happen so this could be good.