Here's Your First Death Note Trailer (and Release Date)

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Elvis Starburst said:
He never ran from any cops chasing him though, so I'm a bit worried about how they'll handle the scene. The ferris wheel already has me terrified for "liberties" taken.
The cop thing I can handle, could be a red herring or just a general interview when he was nearby when he 'killed' people with the book. Could be nothing.

The ferris wheel thing is the only part that irritates me.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I have some small hopes from this.

It's the mind games and the logical space you're put into when you put the supernatural death note into a real life setting that is the appeal to me. And the cat-and-mouse games. The action of this trailer was rather subdued; maybe that speaks to the actual movie.

And if they haven't focused on the action, maybe it is the aforementioned attributes they actually have focused on, meaning it is just a bad or non-indicative trailer.

I mean, trailers tend to emphasize the material that is the most understandable, and how the Death Note works is probably hard to get across with clarity in a trailer.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
You know, you can go ahead and call this shit all you want.

But I wanna see this because I wanna see Willem Dafoe as Ryuk since he was always my favorite character in the series and casting Dafoe as him was fucking perfect. Though I might end up checking out the original japanese films first since those interest me more in terms of retelling the Death Note story since they get rid of the lackluster 2nd arc with Near.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
008Zulu said:
Bobular said:
Other than the Death Note its self, nothing about this looks like Death Note.
They said it wasn't going to be a direct live action remake.
I'm not asking for a scene by scene remake of the original, that would be pointless, I'm asking that they hit the main points of what made Death Note Death Note.

So far nothing I've seen from this gives me any hope, other than Willem Dafoe as Ryuk, that they know what they're doing with this at all. I could be wrong and I would like that to be the case but I honestly don't think the people making this movie know what made the original popular.

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
Willen Dafoe looks like the only good casting in the whole movie. it might be decent as a action movie but it looks like it was in no way meant for fans.

THM

Sep 27, 2014
Will it have an RHCP song over the end credits like the Japanese version?

InflatableHippo

Feb 13, 2016
Country
usa
Dude he looks and sounds so similar to Reynad the hearthstone streamer even down to the monotone in his voice.

Tryforlive

Sep 1, 2009
Elvis Starburst said:
Light being pursued by the cops, and him being in the middle of a Ferris wheel collapsing, two things that do not happen in the manga/anime... Dunno how I feel about that. I get that creating some original content might be interesting, but I don't like the look of it so far. If that robed guy in the red hallway is L I'm gonna flip a table
I am pretty sure that is L. This trailer looks like they read the books then did a complete rewrite of everything for the worse, hopefully it is good though I love Deathnote its a great Anime.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Zydrate said:
I can't wait to see their interpretation of Ryuk. The Japanese version went for a 1:1 ratio of the manga and it looked odd. This version is clearly taking some liberties, like what the hell is going on with that ferris wheel?
To be fair, it helps add to the unnatural feel of seeing an otherworldly death god face to face.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
DarklordKyo said:
Zydrate said:
I can't wait to see their interpretation of Ryuk. The Japanese version went for a 1:1 ratio of the manga and it looked odd. This version is clearly taking some liberties, like what the hell is going on with that ferris wheel?
To be fair, it helps add to the unnatural feel of seeing an otherworldly death god face to face.
Yea but he looked ripped right out of the anime. I expect a sort of eldritch abomination variant in the American version.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Bobular said:
I'm asking that they hit the main points of what made Death Note Death Note.
Dude, enhance your calm. That trailer was all of 60 seconds of actual footage. Without proper context for the scenes, any judgements are pure speculation.

Sep 24, 2008
008Zulu said:
Bobular said:
I'm asking that they hit the main points of what made Death Note Death Note.
Dude, enhance your calm. That trailer was all of 60 seconds of actual footage. Without proper context for the scenes, any judgements are pure speculation.

Please tell me when someone gets upset with you, you say "Maintain low tones with me"

I implore you to tell me that.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
ObsidianJones said:
Please tell me when someone gets upset with you, you say "Maintain low tones with me"

I implore you to tell me that.
Nope. That phrase from Demolition Man has just stuck with me over the years, sorry to say.