Herman Cain Sings Entire Pokémon Theme at Political Rally

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Herman Cain Sings Entire Pokémon Theme at Political Rally

Cain uses a deft combination of music and Pokémon to teach a South Carolina crowd about facing adversity.

Herman Cain has a bit of an odd story. One moment he was CEO of a gas station pizza chain, and the next he was a household name, Sim City 4's taxation structure [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmkvtfEEFT0]. But regardless of whether you loved or hated him, and regardless of your personal political inclinations, you have to admire someone willing to put in a bid for the presidency, then belt out the entirety of the Pokémon: The Movie 2000 theme song at a fake political rally soon after dropping out.

Before gracing the audience with his dulcet musical stylings, Cain spoke to the attendees of a more universal truth, transcending the mundane boundaries of America's binary political division. "Life can be a challenge," Cain said, quoting Donna Summers from her hit Pokémon theme song. "Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when there's so much on the line."

While it's strange enough that Cain sang the song in its entirely at a faux South Carolina rally, it's perhaps even stranger that this wasn't the first time he'd spoken those words to a crowd. The once-candidate actually spouted the "life can be a challenge" quote numerous times during his campaign, prior to being familiar with its origins. It sort of makes you wonder how many more accidental videogame references he would have made had he not dropped out of the race before the primaries.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
If he had done this while he was still running for president..... I would totally have voted for him if I could have.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Really, not "I wanna be the very best! Like no-one ever was!" None of that? Oh, well.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
I agree with Jon Stewart (and beat him to the joke), given why he left the race, the line he needed to take away from the movie was Sloking saying he needed pants.

Chimichanga

Jun 27, 2009
I wonder if he just did that in a last-ditch attempt to grab voters of the 18-25 demographic. You know, the incredibly naive, fickle, and increasingly massive voter base of which that movie was a part of their childhoods?

Of course, I'm being cynical. If the point was merely to be humorous, then kudos; but we still remember all the other instances of stupid bullshit you perpetuated.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Chimichanga said:
I wonder if he just did that in a last-ditch attempt to grab voters of the 18-25 demographic. You know, the incredibly naive, fickle, and increasingly massive voter base of which that movie was a part of their childhoods?

Of course, I'm being cynical. If the point was merely to be humorous, then kudos; but we still remember all the other instances of stupid bullshit you perpetuated.
Uh, he's not even in the race anymore. He first made it clear that the Pokemon movie was where he got the quote from during his annoncement that he was dropping out of the race.

OT- I only considered voting for him very early on, then he proved himself to be rather foolish. Now the only guy in the race who isn't a complete bastard or moron is Romney, so he's probably who I'll vote for even though I still dislike him. Fuck, why do all the canidates suck this election? And it's my first one too. I wish there was somebody I actually wanted to vote for on the ballot.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Otaku World Order said:
But the question is, can he do the entire PokéRap?
Yes! Do it Cain! DO IT NAO!

More on topic, I chuckled. Still wouldn't vote for him (not registered to vote, nor is he still running, so that doesn't help him in the slightest) though.

Moosejaw

Oct 11, 2010
It doesn't matter how wacky Herman Cain is or gets, the guy's policies were dyed-in-the-wool Business As Usual and no amount of antics is going to change that.

Charmi the ninja

May 28, 2011
He dropped out, so sad :(
I thought he was gonna be the very best, that no one ever was...:p
Man, i was hoping he'd sing the original opening theme.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
CkretAznMan said:
Really, not "I wanna be the very best! Like no-one ever was!" None of that? Oh, well.
That's probably why he had to drop out of the race before the primaries.

Averant

Jul 6, 2010
Revnak said:
Chimichanga said:

Uh, he's not even in the race anymore. He first made it clear that the Pokemon movie was where he got the quote from during his annoncement that he was dropping out of the race.

OT- I only considered voting for him very early on, then he proved himself to be rather foolish. Now the only guy in the race who isn't a complete bastard or moron is Romney, so he's probably who I'll vote for even though I still dislike him. Fuck, why do all the canidates suck this election? And it's my first one too. I wish there was somebody I actually wanted to vote for on the ballot.
Foolish? Maybe, but probably not. Seriously, am I the only one who founds this? I know I'm not, because I was linked to it myself.

This video came up in November. it's just NOW that the escapist is picking up on it?

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
CkretAznMan said:
Big whoop. Pokemon 2000 was a beautiful movie with beautiful messages.
Otaku World Order said:
But the question is, can he do the entire PokéRap?
That wouls be awesome. But not just any pokerap.

Start at 7:00. The original Master pokerap is blocked in Canada. :(