Heroes of Neverwinter Open Beta Begins

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Heroes of Neverwinter Open Beta Begins

Heroes of Neverwinter, the new Dungeons & Dragons games on Facebook, is now in open beta and it actually doesn't suck.

When you think of Facebook games, you probably think of FarmVille, or CityVille, or maybe Mafia Wars if you want to go a little less mainstream, but no matter what individual titles spring to mind the one commonly-held perception is this: they suck. At the very least, they're mindless; at worst, your Facebook friends are constantly bombarding you with requests to go dig for treasure on their stupid island.

But Heroes of Neverwinter, believe it or not, doesn't suck. It's not the next coming of Neverwinter Nights [http://www.amazon.com/Neverwinter-Nights-Diamond-Pc/dp/B000B8K7RC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316187577&sr=8-1] and if you go into it looking for a BioWare-caliber RPG you're going to be disappointed, but as a simplistic, social dungeon crawl, it's not too bad at all. And it's now in open beta so you can take it for a spin yourself.

Gameplay is fairly simple, with the post-Ruining town of Neverwinter serving as a hub for a series of trips through small, angular dungeons. Parties are limited to characters of four, combat is turn-based and exploration options are awfully limited, but a full range of spells and abilities are available to the four classes currently on tap and players can take their friends adventuring without needing to have them online. The game does allow players to improve their lot in life via microtransactions, but at least through the early stages it's certainly not necessary.

It's still a bit rough around the edges - this is a beta, remember - but all in all it's surprisingly entertaining and Liquid, the team behind the game, says it's continuing to fine-tune it and add features based on player feedback. It's not often that you'll see me getting behind a Facebook game, but this one's worth a look. Check it out at apps.facebook.com/neverwinterheroes [http://apps.facebook.com/neverwinterheroes].

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
Fix your link btw. apps.facebook.com/neverwinterheroes.

Hope this is good. *crosses fingers*

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
I gotta say, not horrible at all. This could make a superb time killer during slow work hours indeed.

Sep 14, 2009
just got done playing for about 20 minutes, and for a facebook beta, it isn't bad at all i must say, i might just have to use that as my time waster in class...

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
It is a decent enough facebook game, just a reaaaally simple grid based rpg.

However When I shout from the roof tops that I want a dnd video game that plays like a game of dnd this isn't what I was talking about.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
At first I had hoped it was the new Neverwinter mmo. Alas it is not, I will still try it though.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Sounds ok but for some reason I refuse to create a facebook account, though lately it's been tempting me with Civilization and now D&D...

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Echo136 said:
The moment you said facebook I stopped caring.
Yet you cared enough to come in here and tell us all that you don't care. Interesting.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Echo136 said:
The moment you said facebook I stopped caring.
Yet you cared enough to come in here and tell us all that you don't care. Interesting.
That's the internet for you.

It's almost tempting enough to get me back on facebook. Or maybe just re install the original Neverwinter Nights games.

Taz Lachaz

Sep 30, 2011
They made some changes, now its way too tough. Level 5 party and i cant complete the intro dungeon on heroic difficulty. Bad enough the treasure sucks, ( I know they need to throw in a cash grab) but now that i get smoked over and over i cant afford the next expedition. Oh well, plenty of games to choose from. Hope they adjust it, its a cool game.

Taz Lachaz

Sep 30, 2011
Granted, it was too easy before, but now my level 5 party misses 90% of the time on heroic and the level 1 kobolds hit me 90% of the time. I understand it should be harder on heroic, but level 1 kobolds dont have full plate armour on, come on.

Taz Lachaz

Sep 30, 2011
Does anyone know where or how to contact the designers of the facebook neverwinter game? Just went into my account and suddenly its like 4 days behind. Lost about 10 hours of gametime, and a bunch of new magic items i found. Never seen such a buggy beta ever! lmao

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Taz Lachaz said:
Does anyone know where or how to contact the designers of the facebook neverwinter game? Just went into my account and suddenly its like 4 days behind. Lost about 10 hours of gametime, and a bunch of new magic items i found. Never seen such a buggy beta ever! lmao
then you definetely never have been a WoW betatester :p
but yeah its buggy, and laggy as hell.still there is potential to be the best timekiller on FB since Robot Unicorn Attack.