Heroes of The Storm Technical Alpha Goes Live

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Heroes of The Storm Technical Alpha Goes Live

Blizzard also released a video walkthrough of the Heroes of The Storm alpha so players know what to expect.

The Heroes of The Storm "Technical Alpha" that Blizzard announced a few weeks ago [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132605-Blizzard-Announces-Heroes-of-the-Storm-Technical-Alpha] has now finally launched, giving a handful of lucky fans an early look at the upcoming MOBA. Those of you who have been given keys should check the email associated with your battle.net account for instructions on how to get the game running.

Blizzard stressed that "there is a possibility you might encounter bugs, graphical errors, or other issues - so don't hold it against us," admitting that "we're still very early in development and the Tech Alpha is truly a work in progress." It did add that the game "is playable and much of the core experience is present."

Along with the news of the alpha's commencement, Blizzard sent us a "video walkthrough" detailing what new players can expect when they first load up the game. Check it out above.

Community Manager Cloaken recently took a look into the Technical Alpha client and what players can expect to see when they load up the game for the very first time. In this video, you'll get a preview of the tutorial, different play modes, the progression system, the Shop, and much more!

Did you get in to the Heroes of The Storm alpha? I did, and I'll be checking it out and offering some first impressions later in the week.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
watching TB and his friends play this and im rather impressed. Looking forward to this game actually coming out.

TorchofThanatos

Dec 6, 2010
You can play as a Siege Tank? Okay, this could be worth looking in to.
However, there has to be a Lurker! Zerg forever! For the glory of the swarm!

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
That is just what the world needed, another uninspired MOBA. Blizzard somehow continuing to manage to make games that look like they threw them together with their lunch budget for the week, everyone eats it up, and they make another billion dollars.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
The only real issue I have with the game is a fundamental one...the combination of no items removes power spikes from characters, and since the entire team levels as a unit, if one team starts to get ahead, they're likely to stay ahead, barring frequent throws. At the same time, actually 'finishing' a match is a bit slower than you'd think, so while one team can effectively have lost for awhile, they can be enough of an annoyance to keep the game from outright ending until the ahead team goes, clears all the merc camps, and then pushes for the win.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Uratoh said:
The only real issue I have with the game is a fundamental one...the combination of no items removes power spikes from characters, and since the entire team levels as a unit, if one team starts to get ahead, they're likely to stay ahead, barring frequent throws. At the same time, actually 'finishing' a match is a bit slower than you'd think, so while one team can effectively have lost for awhile, they can be enough of an annoyance to keep the game from outright ending until the ahead team goes, clears all the merc camps, and then pushes for the win.
so after watching a few games of this on TBs twitch stream I can tell you for a fact that even if your losing hard you can come back and win if you work together. Hell if you get the objectives you can actually stomp a team that may outlevel you by 4 or 5 easily.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
ecoho said:
so after watching a few games of this on TBs twitch stream I can tell you for a fact that even if your losing hard you can come back and win if you work together. Hell if you get the objectives you can actually stomp a team that may outlevel you by 4 or 5 easily.
I'm certainly not calling it impossible, and it will vary based on how well champions scale into higher levels...i've seen Kerrigan do very poorly early on, then get her 'cleaving autos' and just turn unkillable, for instance, but I'm looking at it more from an 'overall design' standpoint. No one really 'knows how to play' the game properly yet, I'm just concerned about it hampering high level play. It is fun to take your favorite character and stomp on things, though.

Deminobody

Nov 18, 2009
Those classic Warcraft III spell icons! I just got a wave of nostalgic happiness.

Even though their free to play model is similar to LoL the fact that they not only show you specifically what character models and skins look like, but let you play any character BEFORE you drop money on one seems like the game will be much more customer friendly!