#HetrosexualPrideDay

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
Phasmal said:
Pffffffft more like Heterosexual Shame Day.

Seriously what's wrong with some people? It's like the White Pride thing. "I know these people were oppressed for hundreds of years, BUT I WANT A HASHTAG TOO".

It's childish, really.
Probably because people don't really like to be blamed for something they had nothing to do with.
And it's not like white people weren't oppressed either, only difference is that white people was oppressed by other white people.

Anyways, I don't really mind Black pride or Gay pride.
Let people be proud of who they are, be they gay, white, black, or whatever.
I don't really mind white pride and straight pride either, as long as it isn't born out of homophobia or racism.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ushiromiya Battler said:
Probably because people don't really like to be blamed for something they had nothing to do with.
Who's being blamed and what didn't they have anything to do with?

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
Something Amyss said:
Ushiromiya Battler said:
White people in general being blamed for minorities having a shitty life, instead of specific people. Same thing with straight people and homosexuals.
Happens mostly on the internet though.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ushiromiya Battler said:
[
White people in general being blamed for minorities having a shitty life, instead of specific people. Same thing with straight people and homosexuals.
Which specific people should be blamed? And what does that have to do with gays and straights?

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
Something Amyss said:
Ushiromiya Battler said:
[
Which specific people should be blamed? And what does that have to do with gays and straights?
The people that actually make things shitty for them. If a cop screws you over, you shouldn't blame all cops, just that one cop in particular.

It has to do with straights and whites in that the same thing happens there. People like to throw everyone into on pot and blame them all instead of the individuals that slighted them.

SweetLemonTea

Dec 18, 2012
I really don't care about it to be honest, let them have their own festivals. What we should do instead is import the Japanese penis festivals make it a international holiday. Straights love them and so do gays, Hell I'm a straight guy and I fancy looking at a cute trap's cute dick every now and then. It'd be the best way to reconcile tensions between the sexualities, World peace achieved through our mutual admiration of the penis. We can also a vagina day for those with other preferences and an ass day too because everyone enjoys a nice piece of ass .

skip to(8:49)

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Ushiromiya Battler said:
Something Amyss said:
Ushiromiya Battler said:
You seem not to understand something here, the systemic issues that are attached here. For example, while it's federally illegal to deny someone a place in a university, or college... Try being a black student, who is neither a star athletic, nor a star student, but passably within the standards of a given university, or college. Even with affirmative action programs the odds are against your getting in any of the schools you applied for. Now stack upon that the liklihood of being born into a shitty neighborhood, with an equally shitty school, where most of the teachers don't give a fart in the vastness of space about your success... Versus in any white dominate school where the teachers bend over backwards to make sure their students succeed. I grew up in a Podunk little white as it gets town in Southern Oregon, my teachers there showed an obvious bias to the white students, but still bent over backwards to make sure all in their care did well. All of my teachers were very success oriented, in a very success important environment. Now compare that to an inner city school with mostly racial minority students, where the common culture is heavily racial minorities, and the concept of scholastic success is seen as hopeless...

Now look at the common culture where LGBT folk are concerned... Where over a quarter(28%) of people think that being gay/lesbian should be illegal... [http://www.gallup.com/poll/1651/gay-lesbian-rights.aspx]

These are systemic issues that stem from personal prejudice... Writing them off because some people don't experience that systemic hate and fear base prejudice, where many in the majority might not express such prejudice, is short sighted. The fact of the matter is, that many of the people in power are disproportionately represented by those with backwards ideas. If that weren't the truth things like North Carolina's HB2, which doesn't just make bathrooms unacceptable to trans folk, but repeals all GSM[footnote]Gender and Sexuality Minority[/footnote] protections across the state, while preventing new ones from being passed... While a major political group like the Family Research Council can fight to deny trans people our basic rights... [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brynn-tannehill/and-then-they-came-for-tr_b_9258678.html] When the Republican National Convention can officially take up an anti-transgender possition [http://www.advocate.com/transgender/2016/2/25/republican-national-committee-endorses-anti-trans-bathroom-bills] while also trying to roll back marriage equality...

Tell me that there isn't a hate driven position among straight cisgender folk to deny basic rights to GSM(LGBTQI+) folk. One that the good and supportive majority is unwilling to back. That most straight cis folk will allow to exist out of either apathy, or a vested interest to protect their privilege to harm vulnerable minorities... Because if you say that system doesn't exit, you're at best ignorant of the reality, or at worst happy to let the hate mongers drive us to the closet, suicide, and further violence and murder.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
Ushiromiya Battler said:
Something Amyss said:
Ushiromiya Battler said:
You seem not to understand something here, the systemic issues that are attached here. For example, while it's federally illegal to deny someone a place in a university, or college... Try being a black student, who is neither a star athletic, nor a star student, but passably within the standards of a given university, or college. Even with affirmative action programs the odds are against your getting in any of the schools you applied for. Now stack upon that the liklihood of being born into a shitty neighborhood, with an equally shitty school, where most of the teachers don't give a fart in the vastness of space about your success... Versus in any white dominate school where the teachers bend over backwards to make sure their students succeed. I grew up in a Podunk little white as it gets town in Southern Oregon, my teachers there showed an obvious bias to the white students, but still bent over backwards to make sure all in their care did well. All of my teachers were very success oriented, in a very success important environment. Now compare that to an inner city school with mostly racial minority students, where the common culture is heavily racial minorities, and the concept of scholastic success is seen as hopeless...

Now look at the common culture where LGBT folk are concerned... Where over a quarter(28%) of people think that being gay/lesbian should be illegal... [http://www.gallup.com/poll/1651/gay-lesbian-rights.aspx]

These are systemic issues that stem from personal prejudice... Writing them off because some people don't experience that systemic hate and fear base prejudice, where many in the majority might not express such prejudice, is short sighted. The fact of the matter is, that many of the people in power are disproportionately represented by those with backwards ideas. If that weren't the truth things like North Carolina's HB2, which doesn't just make bathrooms unacceptable to trans folk, but repeals all GSM[footnote]Gender and Sexuality Minority[/footnote] protections across the state, while preventing new ones from being passed... While a major political group like the Family Research Council can fight to deny trans people our basic rights...[/url="http://www.advocate.com/transgender/2016/2/25/republican-national-committee-endorses-anti-trans-bathroom-bills"] When the Republican National Convention can officially take up an anti-transgender possition [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brynn-tannehill/and-then-they-came-for-tr_b_9258678.html] while also trying to roll back marriage equality...

Tell me that there isn't a hate driven position among straight cisgender folk to deny basic rights to GSM(LGBTQI+) folk. One that the good and supportive majority is unwilling to back. That most straight cis folk will allow to exist out of either apathy, or a vested interest to protect their privilege to harm vulnerable minorities... Because if you say that system doesn't exit, you're at best ignorant of the reality, or at worst happy to let the hate mongers drive us to the closet, suicide, and further violence and murder.
Wow, that was a totally unnecessary reply, it's not like I actually said that people don't experience racism or prejudice.
I'm just annoyed that it's all fine and dandy to generalize a whole group of people just because they are statistically more likely to be more privileged than you.

Now when it comes to rights and stuff, I'm proud as shit of my country for finally allowing transgenders to legally change their gender without having to go through any medical treatment first.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ushiromiya Battler said:
The people that actually make things shitty for them. If a cop screws you over, you shouldn't blame all cops, just that one cop in particular.
Okay, but...what if it's not one cop? What if it's a series of cops pointing to a systemic or institutional issue?

Cops, in general, are a problem for the LGBT community.

Straight people, in general, are a problem for the LGBT community. It's only been the last couple of years that opposition to us having rights has lost the majority, and right now, it's in the margin of error. There is a culture out there that treats us poorly, and if you think it's the 3% of the population that's non-straight that's controlling that, then there's a bigger issue at work here.

No, straight people have been dictating our rights and our lives for centuries. Individual people are not being blamed, and thus, if you're not part of the problem, you shouldn't feel blamed. This is sort of like saying "but I didn't vote for Hillary Clinton, so how can you call her the Democratic nominee for President?"

People are addressing a systemic problem. Being petulant and doing something like complaining about the lack of a straight pride day because you are upset that you feel like you are being blamed only makes you part of the problem.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ushiromiya Battler said:
I'm just annoyed that it's all fine and dandy to generalize a whole group of people just because they are statistically more likely to be more privileged than you.
You're annoyed that people are generalised because they're generally more likely to be more priveleged than you?

wait, what?

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
Something Amyss said:
Ushiromiya Battler said:
Okay, but...what if it's not one cop? What if it's a series of cops pointing to a systemic or institutional issue?

Straight people, in general, are a problem for the LGBT community. It's only been the last couple of years that opposition to us having rights has lost the majority, and right now, it's in the margin of error. There is a culture out there that treats us poorly, and if you think it's the 3% of the population that's non-straight that's controlling that, then there's a bigger issue at work here.

No, straight people have been dictating our rights and our lives for centuries. Individual people are not being blamed, and thus, if you're not part of the problem, you shouldn't feel blamed. This is sort of like saying "but I didn't vote for Hillary Clinton, so how can you call her the Democratic nominee for President?"

People are addressing a systemic problem. Being petulant and doing something like complaining about the lack of a straight pride day because you are upset that you feel like you are being blamed only makes you part of the problem.
Okay, first thing to get out of the way, I'm not straight. Just wanted to get that out there.

Cops being a problem for the LGBT community depends on where you live and blaming every cop after you've been slighted is just silly. And that's my point, you should not blame everyone, for something only a few have done. And yes, this is hard as shit when you are the one that has been hurt, but blaming everyone wont help.

Now, when it comes to straight people, there's shitloads of straight people out there that support our rights. Should I blame them for something other straight people have done? No, cause they had nothing to do with it.

My whole point is that we should not stereotype or generalize people. Throw them all into one pot. It just hurts our cause.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ushiromiya Battler said:
Cops being a problem for the LGBT community depends on where you live and blaming every cop after you've been slighted is just silly.
Which brings me back to the question of "who is doing that?"

Now, when it comes to straight people, there's shitloads of straight people out there that support our rights. Should I blame them for something other straight people have done? No, cause they had nothing to do with it.
Who is blaming them?

My whole point is that we should not stereotype or generalize people.
And to do that, you're stereotyping and generalising people.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Ushiromiya Battler said:
Something Amyss said:
Ushiromiya Battler said:

Okay, first thing to get out of the way, I'm not straight. Just wanted to get that out there.

Cops being a problem for the LGBT community depends on where you live and blaming every cop after you've been slighted is just silly. And that's my point, you should not blame everyone, for something only a few have done. And yes, this is hard as shit when you are the one that has been hurt, but blaming everyone wont help.

My whole point is that we should not stereotype or generalize people. Throw them all into one pot. It just hurts our cause.
Part of the issue is that the organization or group should work to keep out the bad apples. I don't blame all cops for being racist and shooting unarmed black people. I do blame the ones that act like there are no racist cops in their job. When Quentin Tarantino called out racist cops, a bunch of Police Unions boycotted his latest movie and urged others to not offer security for his film. I certainly blame all of those unions for being part of the problem.

I don't blame all Christians for their religion's bigotry, but I blame those who get mad at ME for being persecuted by them as if me defending myself is some sort of religious attack.

Acting like there is no problem is adding to the problem.

And no, not all white people, or men either, are guilty. Plenty of white men are gay. And not all straights are to blame, since many are women or black. But anyone, straight, white, gay, male, female, or black, who pretend there is no issue, aren't helping.

As for straight people, which are not a unified organization, no, not all are to blame. But generalizing is easier because....well, there are billions of straight people, and I don't remember names well. I do think sometimes people get a bit carried away, but the thing is, while there are some damaging self-hating homosexuals out there, I'm betting most people who are bigoted against LGBT people...aren't LGBT.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
Something Amyss said:
Ushiromiya Battler said:
Cops being a problem for the LGBT community depends on where you live and blaming every cop after you've been slighted is just silly.
Which brings me back to the question of "who is doing that?"

Who is blaming them?

My whole point is that we should not stereotype or generalize people.
And to do that, you're stereotyping and generalising people.
Straight people, white people, gay people, black people...etc..etc.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about people I've met or spoken to. I'm talking about people I've spoken to on the internet and vidoes I've seen of people.

I've also spoken to and met people who didn't blame all white people or all straight people.

I'm not saying all gay people or all black people or whatever.

My whole point as I have said over and over again is that generalizing and stereotyping is idiotic.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
Saelune said:
Ushiromiya Battler said:
Something Amyss said:
Ushiromiya Battler said:

Part of the issue is that the organization or group should work to keep out the bad apples. I don't blame all cops for being racist and shooting unarmed black people. I do blame the ones that act like there are no racist cops in their job. When Quentin Tarantino called out racist cops, a bunch of Police Unions boycotted his latest movie and urged others to not offer security for his film. I certainly blame all of those unions for being part of the problem.

I don't blame all Christians for their religion's bigotry, but I blame those who get mad at ME for being persecuted by them as if me defending myself is some sort of religious attack.

And no, not all white people, or men either, are guilty. Plenty of white men are gay. And not all straights are to blame, since many are women or black. But anyone, straight, white, gay, male, female, or black, who pretend there is no issue, aren't helping.

As for straight people, which are not a unified organization, no, not all are to blame. But generalizing is easier because....well, there are billions of straight people, and I don't remember names well. I do think sometimes people get a bit carried away, but the thing is, while there are some damaging self-hating homosexuals out there, I'm betting most people who are bigoted against LGBT people...aren't LGBT.
I'm sorry, I don't see where anything you said contradicts anything I said.
The only thing I disagree with is that it's okay to generalize because It's easier than not.
Everything else I agree with.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Ushiromiya Battler said:
Wow, that was a totally unnecessary reply, it's not like I actually said that people don't experience racism or prejudice.
Except for the fact that it's those in the privileged groups who are least likely to stand up for the rights of the oppressed... In which case... I see no problem with generalizing, because if you're not in some way trying to solve the issue, you're part of the apathetic majority who lets the issue exist... Color me unimpressed. When any group has to assert it's equality via force of law, that's a massive cultural failure, one that could easily turn back on it self and take the hard won rights of minorities away... So wah the majority is forced to look at it's privilege, god for bid they offer equality to those who have spent their entire lives being wronged... You know because being culturally entitled vanishes with a freaking law...

Ushiromiya Battler said:
Now when it comes to rights and stuff, I'm proud as shit of my country for finally allowing transgenders to legally change their gender without having to go through any medical treatment first.
First... Trans folk are not "transgenders", that's fucking dehumanizing language... Transgender is an adjective not a noun, if you wish to refer to people who are transgender it's 'transgender people'... We aren't some in human mass afflicted on the world, we're just people who happen to hard neurologically coded gender identities opposite our physical sex.

Second... Don't be so proud of Norway's "progress"... Your country isn't one of the few that offers constitutionally equal rights to LGBTQI+ folk, like it offers straight and cisgender folk... [http://www.reuters.com/article/us-global-lgbt-rights-idUSKCN0ZF1IC] For the record those countries are: Bolivia [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolivia], Ecuador [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecuador], Fiji [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiji], Malta [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malta], and the United Kingdom... [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom] Heck Norway that isn't even one of the 5 other countries that offer constitutional protection on the basis of sexual orientation alone... Which are: Mexico [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico], New Zealand [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand], Portugal [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portugal], South Africa [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Africa], and Sweden [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden]... Yeah that's not a lot of places where sexuality, let alone gender identity based discrimination are truly forbidden... Not to mention how nearly impossible it is to bring a case when the law constitutionally is actually on your side...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ushiromiya Battler said:
Straight people, white people, gay people, black people...etc..etc.
This doesn't address a single thing I said.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about people I've met or spoken to. I'm talking about people I've spoken to on the internet and vidoes I've seen of people.
Riiiiiight. So it has no relevance to what anyone's talking about here?

I'm not saying all gay people or all black people or whatever.
You are, however, generalising arguments.

My whole point as I have said over and over again is that generalizing and stereotyping is idiotic.
Speaking generally is not idiotic. However, if you feel it's an issue, don't do it.

Just to be clear, you responded to Phasmal saying straight pride is an issue because people are tired of being blamed by some nondescript people that you've allegedly met. So are you seriously expecting me to believe it had no connection or relevance to the person you directly quoted?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Ushiromiya Battler said:
Saelune said:
Ushiromiya Battler said:
Something Amyss said:
Ushiromiya Battler said:

I'm sorry, I don't see where anything you said contradicts anything I said.
The only thing I disagree with is that it's okay to generalize because It's easier than not.
Everything else I agree with.
We don't have to disagree, I was just elaborating basically.

As for generalizing, people are human and can understand subtly better than robots. I don't generalize because I mean all of a group. If I meant all of a group...I wouldn't generalize. I think ALL KKK members are evil. No generalizing there, as an example. But I think people should be more motivated to atleast acknowledge the issues people face. A lot of, maybe even most straight people might not actually be bigoted against LGBT people, but they wont acknowledge the issue, or act like gay pride is just some sort of self-congratulatory ego boost. Its kind of why we bother "raising awareness" since that really is just about acknowledging an issue, even if you don't donate or directly help out.

People need to be like "Bigotry is wrong, and I don't want to contribute to it". But plenty of people will complain about Gay Pride, scoff at people fighting for equality, and claim voting for Trump isn't supporting racism, or just plain act like nothing is wrong.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
Ushiromiya Battler said:
Except for the fact that it's those in the privileged groups who are least likely to stand up for the rights of the oppressed... In which case... I see no problem with generalizing, because if you're not in some way trying to solve the issue, you're part of the apathetic majority who lets the issue exist... Color me unimpressed. When any group has to assert it's equality via force of law, that's a massive cultural failure, one that could easily turn back on it self and take the hard won rights of minorities away... So wah the majority is forced to look at it's privilege, god for bid they offer equality to those who have spent their entire lives being wronged... You know because being culturally entitled vanishes with a freaking law...

Ushiromiya Battler said:
First... Trans folk are not "transgenders", that's fucking dehumanizing language... Transgender is an adjective not a noun, if you wish to refer to people who are transgender it's 'transgender people'... We aren't some in human mass afflicted on the world, we're just people who happen to hard neurologically coded gender identities opposite our physical sex.

Second... Don't be so proud of Norway's "progress"... Your country isn't one of the few that offers constitutionally equal rights to LGBTQI+ folk, like it offers straight and cisgender folk...
For the record those countries are: Bolivia [http://www.reuters.com/article/us-global-lgbt-rights-idUSKCN0ZF1IC], Ecuador [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecuador], Fiji [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiji], Fiji [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malta], and the United Kingdom... [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom] Heck Norway that isn't even one of the 5 other countries that offer constitutional protection on the basis of sexual orientation alone... Which are: Mexico [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico], New Zealand [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand], Portugal [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portugal], South Africa [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Africa], and Sweden [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden]... Yeah that's not a lot of places where sexuality, let alone gender identity based discrimination are truly forbidden... Not to mention how nearly impossible it is to bring a case when the law constitutionally is actually on your side...[/quote]
First I want to apologize for saying ''transgenders'' instead of trans folk or transgender people. English is not my native language and I don't usually discuss trans folk in English. I'm literally googling words to make sure I write it correctly and in the correct context.

I'm not going to discuss privilege, I don't really like the way it divides us.

Now when it comes to Norway.
Grunnloven ? 98. Alle er like for loven. Intet menneske m? utsettes for usaklig eller uforholdsmessig forskjellsbehandling.
Constitution ? 98. Everyone is equal in the eyes of the law. No human shall be subjected to unfair or disproportional discrimination.
And to build upon that we have the actual laws which protects gay, lesbian, bisexual and trans people in the same way they protect straight people.

I'm actually a bit disappointed in that whole article. There isn't even a source in it.

EDIT: I have no idea what happened to the post, can anyone clue me in?

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Ushiromiya Battler said:
And it's not like white people weren't oppressed either, only difference is that white people was oppressed by other white people.

Anyways, I don't really mind Black pride or Gay pride.
Let people be proud of who they are, be they gay, white, black, or whatever.
I don't really mind white pride and straight pride either, as long as it isn't born out of homophobia or racism.
Oh, pish.
As a person who is both straight and white, we don't need any fucking parades. We do not need pride. We already have the world revolving around us 90% of the time. I did go into this further back in the thread, but I'll repeat myself anyway.
I have never, even for a moment, felt "blamed" for anything. We are all complicit in the society we are in, and we have to actively work against things that distance and disadvantage people who are "Othered", but it's not about assigning blame.
And even if some gay person who has suffered decides to hate straight people for it, the worst thing that is going to happen is that your feelings might be hurt. With people still getting shot because of their sexuality, I think we straighties can collectively put on our grown-up panties and deal with it.