Hey anime fans, is the Dragon Ball series actually revered as a good anime?

thirion1850

Aug 13, 2008
Innegativeion said:
thirion1850 said:
A pointlessly religiously symbolism filled angst fest with the worst protagonist in the history of anything, a hilariously camp "look at human nature" with a rabid, worshiping fanbase. Yeah, lets go watch us some overrated tripe rather than anything actually worth our time. We'll be all the more hipster and edgy for it.
Don't be turned off of gainax by it, though.

I honestly think it's one of Gainax's worst pieces... though not as bad you make it out to be. Highly overrated yes,

and all it's "religious symbolism" is entirely arbitrary.

(nukes explode into crucifixes? The hell does that even mean??)
Just looked up their stuff, didn't know they made Lagann! Hot damn that anime was sex.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
thirion1850 said:
Just looked up their stuff, didn't know they made Lagann! Hot damn that anime was sex.
Yeah, I got really hyped to watch eva despite all the infamy after seeing TPGL and FLCL

(Which, fun rumor, was made by the eva animation team supposedly afterwards to unwind after they got done with the soul-crushingly depressing writing of evangelion)

I was a tad disappointed.

nexi01

Jan 31, 2012
Ultimately, it isn't an awful anime in the sense that the fun/awesome moments crop up often enough to make sure it stays entertaining. There is however better, deeper anime out there which will depend on your tastes. After watching something like death note (which appeals to me because of the mental aspect of the story) I still like Dragonball but I consider other things to be of much higher quality.

As was stated earlier, Dragonball is a popcorn show, there is nothing wrong with that, but it is what it is. It is the B grade movie that you still pull off the shelf and watch once a year even though you know the acting is kinda crappy in places and the plot is not so much a tight package as it is a flimsy web holding the action bits together.

PeaceRider

Oct 17, 2011
Dragonball was good as it had plot, growth, and was based on Journey to West and had very few energy attacks.
Dragonball Z is most well remembered because it always blew up shit and is the longest running series in the trio, but even though it is fondly remembered it died the longer it dragged on.
Dragonball GT.....fun at times but most people don't give a shit about it. Could be because Goku was turned back into a stupid kid, could be because of the stupid ending, whatever. The best moment is Vegeta's Mustache moment.

Dragonball = Good
DBZ = Nostalgia Good
DBGT = burn it with fire

The Ubermensch

Mar 6, 2012
Elect G-Max said:
Sargent Hoofbeat said:
As an addendum, watch Evangelion, even 25 and 26. If you know the back story behind those episodes then its actually really awesome what Hideaki decided to do with the limited budget he ended up having (and now with the new films we may actually see what he had actually intended)
Ummmm, we already saw that in EoE...
I refuse to believe that, because if its true then the only reason we are getting remakes is Hideaki Anno's pride wants to jack himself off. Thats what that whole scene at the start of EOE is about.

Even though he makes some good points at the end, that whole bit still doesn't quite work. I choose to believe Anno is better than that... I also choose believe that my dead mother is protecting me with her AT field.