Hey, you know that thing with the webcam?

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Alright, I thought of an insanely weird question:
Say you have a laptop with a built in webcam, or you somehow have a webcam that's focused on you at this moment.

Say you somehow got dragged into a video chat with someone, either you initiated it, or it was one of those weird popups that take you to one, and say you either forgot about the chat or didn't realize you were in it at all.

Now, you were doing something really embarassing, either you were jerkin' it, or you were singing karaoke to a youtube video or something embarassing and the other person saw it.

How would you react to that?

I'm not speaking from experience, or anyhthing, I have a laptop with a webcam, and I just wondered if my webcam actually ever turns off.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Put some tape over the webcam bit if you're paranoid.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
"Tell anyone, and I'll END you!"

I don't have anything that uses my webcam anyway. Nothing to worry about.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
You can disable your webcam through device manager I think, even if it's a laptop one... I'm paranoid about this too, and not even because I do embarassing things in front of the computer... It's just that something creeps me out about the possibility that someone might be watching me somehow.

There was one time I got a virus that allowed someone access to my computer and they could see everything I was doing, and this person kept popping up a notepad and actually typing messages to me while he watched my screen... Ever since then I've been paranoid of the possibility someone could be watching my computer screen or even watching *me* through my computer. I just keep the webcam and mic unplugged now when i'm not using them.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I have a phobia of my webcam being activated remotely so if I'm not doing anything directly related to it, I have the fucker pointed away from me. However, if by chance this did happen, I would be completely horrified, and probably never speak to that person ever again out of shame.

Betancore

Apr 23, 2010
The most embarrassing thing I do in front of my monitor is sing along to 'Working Class Man' or some other song like that. I guess I'd just laugh it off. And then sign out and avoid talking to that person for all of eternity.

FortheLegion

Dec 16, 2008
That couldn't happen to me, I don't buy laptops with web cams built in. You never know who or what is watching....

lettucethesallad

Nov 18, 2009
I was having a video chat with my friend ages ago when I went to get something to eat in the kitchen. He was picking his nose when I got back, but that was no biggie really. Just teased him for it for a bit.

My ex would cover the cam with a small piece of cardboard so 'they' couldn't see. A bit too paranoid for my taste.

Girl With One Eye

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Jun 2, 2010
AverageJoe said:
There was one time I got a virus that allowed someone access to my computer and they could see everything I was doing, and this person kept popping up a notepad and actually typing messages to me while he watched my screen... Ever since then I've been paranoid of the possibility someone could be watching my computer screen or even watching *me* through my computer. I just keep the webcam and mic unplugged now when i'm not using them.
Wow WTF....thats crazy! I would have smashed the laptop to pieces if that happened to me.

I've never actually thought about it much before, but now I'm starting to get paranoid :/

Kevonovitch

Apr 15, 2009
i think the worst i did, was 2 things;

the 1st-was on voip+cam w/ a friend i havent seen in a while, and i kinda jumped into it, while my gf was giving me head, i was enjoying it the whole while, but i had a momentary laps of "enjoy this, he can come back later" instead of that, to "hey! buddy! hows it goin!?" thank god i managed to keep the convo short and he still dosen't know XD my gf thought it was funny as shit, i nearly had a heart attack XD

the 2nd-forgot i had a friend on call w/ skype, went to grab a drink, then started scratching my ass, and my mom had a sex question she wanted my opinion on, and when i scratched my nuts and was doing it to bug my mom, and make her fuck off, i heard laugher from my headphones. i nearly dropped my drink, and was looking at the cam, junk in hand like, "OMFG.....WTF DID I JUST SHOW TO THE WORLD!?" apparently the look on my face was priceless, i can imagine O.O

so far, thats all the "well there was a webcam running...wait...WHAT THE FUCK!?"

DeASplode

Nov 26, 2009
Friend I video chatted with quite a bit had a built in camera and microphone built into her laptop. Think it was new, because she didn't seem to notice the microphone indicator thingy on MSN.

so she started listening to music and started singing. Not badly, just she got really into it.

Teased her a bit, but her reaction was funny and cute, when she realised what I was laughing at.