Hidden Gems?

w@rew0lf

Banned User
Jan 11, 2009
Do any of you have any games, movies, etc. that you've stumbled across and have loved ever since? Since I came across it 2 years ago the movie The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen remains my favourite gem to date and I'd recommend it to each and every one of you. So what hidden gems have you found over the years?

dweomermaster

Feb 22, 2009
ooh. very tough! but my main one this week is the movie Very Bad Things, I found it by accident several years ago and have loved it ever since :)

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Metal arms I found to be a very fun game, and I still have a copy of it around the house.

SirDeadly

Feb 22, 2009
The Night Angel Trilogy. Sex + Violence = One GREAT novel series!
w@rew0lf said:
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen remains my favourite gem to date and I'd recommend it to each and every one of you. So what hidden gems have you found over the years?
Good movie.

MADNESS4

Feb 10, 2010
Little Green Bag by George Baker

its a song but its still a hidden gem, i love this song so much. you cant listen to it and not feel like a badass.

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
i have Books i feel are Hidden Gems, but thats just me

The Runelords(theres 8 books in this Series so far, though i only own 7 to date)

and the Iron Dragons Daughter

games? Valkyria Chronicles.. for a while at least

Appleseed and its Sequel movie as well

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
For Games, I'll have to say Pikmin. So cute, yet so ferocious. :)

For movies, In Bruges. Dammit, I cannot stress this enough, it is the greatest movie I have ever seen!

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
I mange to find all 3 Balto movies on DVD, I enjoyed the first one a LONG time ago when I was a kid and my mom tok me to go see it and loved it! So I hunted them down and found them (didn't know there was a 3 either)

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
Ho boy, there's a lot. I'll second Metal Arms and LoEG, Chex Quest (a reskin of Doom packaged in boxes of Chex cereal), I can't believe how few people know about Commander Keen.

For books, anything by John Ringo. Seriously, that guy just can't stop writing.

Now before you look up my last one, do something first. Check your calendar for the next 3 weeks. Would it be OK for you to be completely unproductive over that period of time? Yes? Then you're all set to read my favorite webcomic, Sluggy Freelance.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
A little known movie from New Zealand called Black Sheep. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.174430] Found it while looking for Die Hard 4, put this in instead and found a good film. Does what it does well and will give you a few laughs, if nothing memorable.

Myster XIII

Nov 11, 2009
In the real world this one pizza joint in my home town that makes the best pizza in the world.
A company called Albanase make the best gummies you will ever have.
A manga called My Balls. It is funny and kind fo sweet at the same time. It's my gulity pleasure.
As far as games go...The .hack\\G.U. series. the combat wasn't all that great and the story was a little sappy but the Avatar fights were pure awesomeness.

FranzTyphid

Apr 10, 2009
RumbleFish
This wins for the greatest underappreciation award
seirioulsy stop what your doing and watch it now

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Dog Soldiers and The Descent. Same guys made both, watch the english version of the descent the american one has a retarded change to the ending. Dark City is a great sort of Noir/sci-fi hybrid. I dunno about hidden but Ghost in the Shell in any form is usually underrated when noticed.

w@rew0lf said:
Do any of you have any games, movies, etc. that you've stumbled across and have loved ever since? Since I came across it 2 years ago the movie The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen remains my favourite gem to date and I'd recommend it to each and every one of you. So what hidden gems have you found over the years?
I'm surprised you say the league of extraordinary gentlemen movie, anyone I know who saw it was unkind to say the least. Both people who have read them and people who wouldn't be able to tell you who Alan Moore is if you showed them a picture.