Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro Team for New Silent Hill

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Mcoffey said:
iLikeHippos said:
It's going to be a 'new adaptation' of the Silent Hill game library, and it will be mediocre at best.

I guarantee it.
So still better than the last six Silent Hill games? Good to know!
Tohuvabohu said:
Even if you don't like Kojima. I don't think anyone can deny that Silent Hill was fucking dead, and perhaps more importantly, Konami didn't give a shit about it.
People really need this drilled into their heads.

Something else people should also keep in mind, Kojima writes crazy because Metal Gear is crazy. Looking at a different series, one would assume he'd come at it from a different angle.

Compare The Avengers to Buffy The Vampire Slayer. They're both clearly Joss Whedon, but he understood one required a different approach and style than the other.
That doesn't change the core problem: he's not a talented writer. Besides, we've all seen what dark and gritty Kojima looks like. Gang rape and double snooks. Honestly, I want him to stay as far away from that as possible. It's funny with metal gear until it isn't anymore. Besides, silent hill is known for its subtlety, and I'm not sure Kohima even knows that's a thing.

Post Tenebrae Morte

Jun 6, 2011
Silent hill is a series which relies on subtlety, atmosphere, lore, and so. It is not resident evil or evil dead. It is a deep exploration of the human psyche and how people are shaped by their experiences. Shattered memories showed the destitute life of a broken child, downpour showed the fall of a man consumed by a need for vengeance, 2 showed a man unwilling to admit his hand in his own hell.

First or third person, I just hope they remain true to the spirit of the series. Origins and homecoming may have been missteps, but even they remained true to the spirit, and downpour and shattered memories, along with 2, are my top 3.

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
I'm not really against this move to be honest. I'll admit Kojima being involved has me cautious but I don't think he's gonna be writing this animal. If he is though, I'm expecting del Toro to reign him in. I honestly want this to be a success, I want this to be the true resurrection of Survival Horror.

And on a somewhat related note, I think this might have originally been Guillermo del Toro failed game project inSANE.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Well if Ground Zeroes and Snatcher are any indicator, Hideo Kojima certainly has a knack for body horror, so at the very least it'll be gory as fuck.

I wonder the development and cancellation of Insane [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insane_%282013_video_game%29] has anything to do with this project.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
OMFG!!! Wait, it's for the videogame? My mind blowing hype has just been reduced to cautious optimism. Has Del Toro been involved in a game development before?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Oh...a little bit of pee escaped when i first read this. Just watched a playthrough on the tube and can honestly say it was brilliant! Fuck it...im getting a PS4, sorry Tomb raider, you aint my bag o bloody bones.

Does anyone know if downpour is any good? I have been on the fence about getting it for the past week. Mixed reviews everywhere. Res evil revelations just isnt doing it for me currently.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Mcoffey said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Mcoffey said:
Well that's neat. Kojima and Del Toro are never bad things
Kojima's work is idiotic, pretentious and tone deaf. He's a natural fit for Silent Hill like Michael Bay is for Ico.
Looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.
Looks like someone's idea of a counterargument is not making one.

Sep 24, 2008
ThatDarnCoyote said:
ObsidianJones said:
Silent Hill needs that nigh impossible balance of characters moving enough and likable enough... but mysterious enough that some blanks will NOT be filled, along with making sure that one of the most important aspects of the series (the town) is at the center of it all.

I do not know how much Kojima will be involved with this, but if it is quite a bit, I worry about what comes next.
Hey, you know the enduring mystery about what exactly is behind the horror and madness of Silent Hill?

Turns out, it's nanomachines. Who knew?

Why? Why would you ever...? Why...

NOTHING is just musing any more. Do you realize that?! The second you put it on the interwebs, you mystically installed the seed into Kojima's mind!!

Because of you, Samael is going to be an anicent Alien Construct really named the Hoodoo Voodoo Interlude Drive.

Captcha: Bond, James Bond.

Or that... you creepy sentient clairvoyant bit of programming...

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
Guillermo Del Toro is working on a new Silent Hill? Guillermo Del Toro is working on a new Silent Hill?! Holy crap!

...oh and Hideo Kojima is too, though it's much harder to be excited about that.

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
That sounds very insane. I don't expect it to be a good silent hill game but I expect to be, at the very least, weird as fuck(wich is always good).

ThatDarnCoyote

Dec 3, 2011
ObsidianJones said:
NOTHING is just musing any more. Do you realize that?! The second you put it on the interwebs, you mystically installed the seed into Kojima's mind!!

Because of you, Samael is going to be an anicent Alien Construct really named the Hoodoo Voodoo Interlude Drive.
Yeah, sorry about that. But it's not really my fault you see, because nanomachines.
Mcoffey said:
Tohuvabohu said:
Even if you don't like Kojima. I don't think anyone can deny that Silent Hill was fucking dead, and perhaps more importantly, Konami didn't give a shit about it.
People really need this drilled into their heads.
I really don't understand this logic. "The series is dead. It doesn't matter if it's bad, so long as we get another entry"?

Isn't that exactly the thinking that brought us Homecoming and Origins?

Think about the first rule of horror: The unknown is scarier than the known. Nothing kills horror faster than over-explanation, which even Kojima's fans will admit is a common feature of his writing.

ThatDarnCoyote

Dec 3, 2011
Mcoffey said:
What we're saying, or at least what I'm saying, I guess I can't speak for Tohuvabohu, is that since the series is dead, bringing in new ideas will only help. Instead of aping the past, like Homecoming and Origins did, we are hoping that the inclusion of Kojima and Del Toro will take the series in a new direction that will ultimately revitalize it.
That's fair, I see what you mean a little better. My concern is that "new ideas" are not necessarily good ideas. And familiarity with Kojima's body of work does not give me hope that he is right for Silent Hill.

I mean, I'm seeing a massive retcon where it turns out the town of Silent Hill is really a secret VR facility run by a rogue element of the US government, dedicated to mind control experiments. In command of it will be a cartoon supervillain with a convoluted backstory in both the KGB and the NSA as well as an obvious physical deformity. Many, many mentions of MK-ULTRA will be made.

Just because a series is dead, doesn't mean it's okay to pop open the coffin and have a puppet show with the corpse.

It strikes me that, if anything, a Del Toro/Kojima pairing would be better suited to make a Resident Evil game.

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
Silent Hill isn't Kojima's own original creation, and the extent to which he is involved, leading or collaborating with the writing and direction isn't known. It should be fine if he recognises restraining pressures and takes guidance. It won't be a particularly subtle Silent Hill, (I've only seen Silent Hill 1&2 and 1 was hardly subtle) but it's not going to be MGS. MGS is an espionage series. The thing people should be questioning is game design. Doing survival horror well is difficult.