High-End PC Manufacture Ditches AMD Graphics Chips

Supernova1138

Oct 24, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Snotnarok said:
I'm not really surprised someone is complaining about ATI given their track record with keeping their product software up to date. I've been avoiding them because of that, they're just not great for the cash asked.
And <link=http://img5.joyreactor.cc/pics/post/geek-%D0%BF%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BE%D1%87%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%86%D0%B0-ATI-86865.jpeg>this nicely sums up the problems I've had with ATI cards. We're in agreement.
Oh come now, it isn't that complicated, you only have to get a Papal Bull that retroactively makes you Jesus in order to get the ATI drivers installed. Still, it's easier than sacrificing an entire herd of Zebras to Jupiter Optimus Maximus to ensure that the latest Nvidia driver doesn't accidently overheat and fry your card. :p

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
You know it's time to stop taking the discussion seriously when people gotta reach all the way back to 2007 and bring up ATI driver issues.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
romxxii said:
You do know that the latest WHQL Nvidia drivers were released last month, right? It doesn't take Nvidia a year to resolve issues.
I'm not kidding. The problems arrived with the 320.xx and so far, even the 330.xx haven't even resolved the problems.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
mad825 said:
Whatislove said:
Nvidia is miles ahead with their drivers, both the quality of them and the quantity plus the speed of new driver releases is a million times better than AMD.
Despite quite a few users having major problems with the latest release for nearly a year now....Nvida are suggesting to underclock the 400/500 factory overclocked cards to "fix" the problem. -.-
Well it's hard to blame Nvidia for that, factory overclocked cards are running outside of the parameters Nvidia designed.

It was up to the manufacturer's of the cards to test them at their overclock speed to make sure there were no problems.

If the issue is happening on stock clocked cards then there is a serious problem.

On a personal note, I have 2 heavily overclocked GTX 580's in SLI in my build, both watercooled, and I haven't experienced any troubles (Up to date driver wise).

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
sounds to me as well that nvidia is paying them off. i stick wiht my AMD, not only because its cheaper but i never had any issues with them and still have excellent performance.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Yuuki said:
Being a PC builder, it's a pretty bad idea to limit yourself to a single manufacturer - especially in the GPU market considering how heated the competition gets between AMD and nVidia.
I can only hope Origin PC sees a reduction in customer complaints after this decision of theirs, otherwise it would have been for nothing.

Commander Obvious said:
Looks like Nvidia paid them off.
Looks like AMD paid you to say that. And I'm being totally serious, my conspiracy is just as true as yours.

Anyway, there is nothing Origin PC can say or do that will stop people from throwing around random conspiracies. Nothing at all.
The CEO even specifically stated that it's not about brand loyalty/marketing - if people want to believe otherwise then that's totally fine, opinions are opinions. The company can do nothing about that. If their own data has reflected negative trends/patterns, they can only take the necessary steps to address that.
Quite a logical summation. However Origin PC are the guys that founded and then sold off Alienware so they cater to a high dollar market so shouldn't be quite as hurt by sticking to one brand.

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
Christ this is what I've been saying for years and nobody ever listens. AMD cards look like they're more powerful, or try to run like they're more powerful, but as a result, something, somewhere is bound to go wrong.
Their performance is also all over the place. I had a really old GeForce 8800GT which ran games just fine 'till it got fried (it was about time anyway), so I bought a then relatively new Radeon 6670 and was blown away by the fact that Far Cry 3 ran on considerably less FPS than it did before.
(Also, don't run FC3 on an antique 8800GT which has been in the oven a couple times already, it'll crash and burn)

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
mad825 said:
Whatislove said:
Nvidia is miles ahead with their drivers, both the quality of them and the quantity plus the speed of new driver releases is a million times better than AMD.
Despite quite a few users having major problems with the latest release for nearly a year now....Nvida are suggesting to underclock the 400/500 factory overclocked cards to "fix" the problem. -.-
i recently went red because of the 780 driver flop.. ( 36 hr tdr, spontanious bluescreen / polygon glitches ) so let's just say shit happens on both sides of the gpu war and just pick whatever's stable / good at the time and leave it at that.. cause there's really no point getting into a pissing match over it all.

on the whole, nvidia do a good job but then i've had no cause to complain about my 7970 ( yet! ) and it really doesn't get hot at all unless i run power specific benchmarks or litecoin mining ( where it will reach 89* .. o_O )

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
Callate said:
It does seem a shame, though, if the transition from ATi to AMD has meant a downgrade in quality control.
Could be that AMD draw the good staff from ATI into the APU-development.
On other hand never had problems with AMD or ATI (even than they were ATI) and first time i hear the gpu driver make problems by the installation.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
romxxii said:
oldtaku said:
romxxii said:
oldtaku said:
Paid off by NVidia. They're not the only third tier PC builder targeted. http://semiaccurate.com/2013/10/05/much-nvidia-pay-origin-pc-drop-amd/
That's all speculation. It's obvious the author is furiously waving the AMD flag, or at the very least burning the Nvidia one. I'd rather wait for corroboration from a known neutral news source.
There's PC World. The whole thing is extremely fishy. You wouldn't normally announce that you're just dropping choices from your lineup. It's perfectly calculated to create stories on sites just like this one that AMD cards are crap.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2052184/whats-behind-origin-pcs-decision-to-so-publicly-dump-amd-video-cards-.html

Note - I'm using Nvidia cards right now in this PC, but it still stinks to high heaven.
Well this is certainly a better read; it's got absolutely no bias written all over it for either side, and has facts and figures. The SemiAccurate one, OTOH, was practically foaming at the mouth with anger at Nvidia, like it got his teen daughter pregnant or something.
Still there isn't anything factually wrong with the SemiAccurate article to my knowledge.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Commander Obvious said:
Actually no, all those concerns are valid. AMD haven't released a truly good card since the 5 series, and their driver support hasn't been the best in recent years. NVidia have been improving gen-on-gen since the 4 series (which was arguably the Vista of their modern lineup).

I'm a fanboy of neither company, I currently own a 5970 because, at the time of buying, that was the best for me. If I was to buy a new card now, it would probably be NVidia. And as much as any of the open source crowd would hate to admit it, NVidia's driver support for Linux has really turned a corner recently, [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128435-Valve-Announces-Steam-Machine-Prototype-Specs"]hence this[/a].

oldtaku said:
romxxii said:
Well this is certainly a better read; it's got absolutely no bias written all over it for either side, and has facts and figures. The SemiAccurate one, OTOH, was practically foaming at the mouth with anger at Nvidia, like it got his teen daughter pregnant or something.
Oh it's totally true that SemiAccurate does not like Nvidia. I don't blame you for wanting a second source.
Charlie Demerijian has some very bad blood with NVidia, they more or less buried his writing career a number of years ago in one of the most despicable smears I've ever seen. Nobody but SA took him in. That's why he's constantly at the forefront of any anti-NVidia press. The weird thing is, his articles are never factually incorrect, as you already said, his numbers are always spot on, but his interpretations are always negative.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Its nice to see companies finally wising up. Nvidia has been outdoing AMD everywhere for years now and even retailers are now getting it. Yeah maybe AMD will start getting better now that their being dropped, oh, wait, they got their consoles to take care off, i guess they will afford being inferior still.

unacomn said:
My GeForce 8800 Ultra on the other hand did burst into flames in League of Legends. And mind you, that wasn't a cheap card.
|HOW? My 8600 GS handles LoL quite easily.
Also your problem with drivers are more like opposite for me, Radeon (back then still itsp roper name) drivers would actually break games to the point of unplayability (for example invisible healthbars). and there was no rollback solution or anything, the drivers NEVER fixed it.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I'm surprised that companies like these even exist. What kind of PC gamer buys a preconfigured PC? It's a waste of money.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
Whatislove said:
Commander Obvious said:
Well.. maybe, but their official stance on the matter does make plenty of sense.

Nvidia cards do run cooler and their high end cards do perform better.

So, I'm undecided, either Nvidia paid them off and/or pointed out their superiority or they just made a logical choice for a company trying to sell the highest end/best PCs.
But their high-end cards (well only the Titan is faster than its equivalent because AMD doesn't have one yet) are far more expensive.

7970 is cheaper than the GTX 670 and performs MUCH better.

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
deadish said:
romxxii said:
oldtaku said:
romxxii said:
oldtaku said:
Paid off by NVidia. They're not the only third tier PC builder targeted. http://semiaccurate.com/2013/10/05/much-nvidia-pay-origin-pc-drop-amd/
That's all speculation. It's obvious the author is furiously waving the AMD flag, or at the very least burning the Nvidia one. I'd rather wait for corroboration from a known neutral news source.
There's PC World. The whole thing is extremely fishy. You wouldn't normally announce that you're just dropping choices from your lineup. It's perfectly calculated to create stories on sites just like this one that AMD cards are crap.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2052184/whats-behind-origin-pcs-decision-to-so-publicly-dump-amd-video-cards-.html

Note - I'm using Nvidia cards right now in this PC, but it still stinks to high heaven.

Still there isn't anything factually wrong with the SemiAccurate article to my knowledge.
But his negative bias tends to color the facts. Case in point: both AMD and Nvidia did re-brands this year, but he only bashes Nvidia, then goes on to praise AMD's "full refresh". Yes, factually true, but not without omissions and bias.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
First off, "High-end PC Manufacture" might as well be an oxymoron.

Second, AMD and Nvidia chips are no more prone to failure than one another... the spontaneous combustion of graphics cards tends to be the fault of the card manufacturer rather than the GPU the card is built on. Sounds like "Origin PC" needs to stop using Sapphire cards.

Also, the driver issues with ATI were pretty well solved when ATI stopped being a thing. AMD did a damn good job of whipping 'em into shape... rather like Nvidia did with 3DFX.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
I've seen from looking at this for years that Nvidia despite sometimes lagging in performance are far better with driver support and updating said drivers. I'll take stable drivers over a very marginal improvement in performance any day of the week.

Origin will likely piss a few people off but the real gearheads build their own machines anyway. the mass market will likely not care and then there are folks like me who might accept a temporary change and then change to a different brand when it's time for an upgrade.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
romxxii said:
deadish said:
romxxii said:
oldtaku said:
romxxii said:
oldtaku said:

But his negative bias tends to color the facts. Case in point: both AMD and Nvidia did re-brands this year, but he only bashes Nvidia, then goes on to praise AMD's "full refresh". Yes, factually true, but not without omissions and bias.
But nothing wrong with THIS article right?

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
deadish said:
romxxii said:
deadish said:
romxxii said:
oldtaku said:
romxxii said:
oldtaku said:

But nothing wrong with THIS article right?
I'd personally call omissions wrong; yes, everything he's saying is true, but he's withholding additional facts which can change the tone and message of the story. So yeah, his praise for the Hawaii refresh (which Extreme Tech [http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/167309-radeon-r9-290x-hardware-specs-and-benchmarks-of-amds-titan-killer-leaked] sees as re-workings of Southern Islands -- as opposed to an entirely new chip -- when the GPUs were announced at the AMD GPU 14 Tech Day event) and decision to exclude information clearly is driving towards an agenda.