Higher prices for next gen games.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It sounds like publishers have decided to see if they can squeeze more out of the players with the next gen of systems. The first game to tip its toes into the $70 upfront price point is NBA 2k21, which is weird since it seems like 2K loves to throw in a ton of microtransactions into that series. At the moment it doesn't sound like that is the set price for all new AAA type games, but chances are more publishers will test the waters and it will become a thing in more places.

Is $70 more then you are willing to pay for a new AAA game?

Last edited:

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
What makes me mad is that they are using the images of the late Kobe Bryant. In the other trailer, they sound like they are paying tribute to how great he was. But now with this, I feel like they are exploiting his name and his death to increase their bottom lines

Reactions: BrawlMan

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Some people will say it should have happened sooner because of inflation, but these modern AAA games are usually shorter, less ambitious and have less content than the cheaper games of yesteryear because they waste so much money on production values, voice acting and graphics. I barely play them anymore.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Is $70 more then you are willing to pay for a new AAA game?
Fuck no! Especially if it's a game from 2K, EA, Acti, or Ubisoft. If all publishers start doing this, then count me out or expect me to wait for large price drops. With the way the economy is now and COVID still effecting eveyone, this will bit them hard in their gentitals and asses id they all go through with it.

Jim's take is how I found out.

And his older videos are relevant just as much now, as it was when he posted these 2 years ago.

Last edited:

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
What makes me mad is that they are using the images of the late Kobe Bryant. In the other trailer, they sound like they are paying tribute to how great he was. But now with this, I feel like they are exploiting his name and his death to increase their bottom lines
That seems in really poor taste.

OT: I'm scarcely willing to pay 60, and usually wait until price drops already. This'll just make me likelier to buy second-hand.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
At what point do gamers say, "Enough is enough."?
That's the problem. The ones out of the loop tend to be ignorant, don't know, or don't care. The ones in the loop try not to make excuses,but you have many mothers that do. It's even worse, because you have ignorant parents buying stuff for their kids/teenagers that do not know about the scummy practices. What makes it even shittier is if they kids are spoiled and have no basic concept of how money works. Some parents are getting savvy about bad business practices, but a lot more still need to know and understand what is happening.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
The increase in price makes sense. The reality that either we will need the doing away of AAA games or see an increase in price sooner or later was obvious. As much as microtransactions are hated, and rightly so, they were still a solution to a problem and that problem still exists.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
The "game development costs have gone up" myth has been debunked so many times I honestly can't believe anyone tries to use it as an excuse anymore.

Reactions: Jarrito3002

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
This sums up my answer

Like I will be a patient gamer and wait until a good sale or just enjoy my endless backlog going to the Gameboy color. This is getting redicolous because these budgets are the fault the game industry and stock holders with insane expectations. AAA budgets and games getting their act together is not going to happen and will probably get worse. When 60 dollar games started having free mobile microtransaction it was downhill from there.

Oh it is to increase that bottom line. They know many basketball fans will throw money at one of the all time greats. For a lot of these people Kobe and their gaming experience go hand in hand especially if they are my age so no way some execs room were not going take advantage of that double nostalgia grab.

They could of easily of kept Dame Lillard on the cover cause lord knows he has earn it and maybe offer those Kobe posters as preorder bonuses. As it hurt to suggesst preorder bonuses I will take that over this method they have that is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
See this is what we get for buying games at launch and full price. Like Jim Sterling said they just decided they wanted more money.
and there is something to be said about them saying they think they offer $70 worth of experiences. What happens when it goes on sale then? Are they admitting the experience is worth less now? Or are they going to hack the game apart and sell only 50% of it?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I don't really care, time is much more important than price. I don't get why people say such and such game is only worth $20 (as they don't feel it's that good) but are willing to spend 20+ hours of their life with it. It's either worth my time or it isn't, price doesn't matter. Of course, I'm not saying price doesn't matter at all but when your hobby is one of the cheapest hobbies out there, why is a 17% price increase that big of a deal? You don't even have to go outside of gaming to find more expensive hobbies, board gaming is far more expensive than video gaming. And, in the end is it even that much of an increase? Because selling the game when you're done with it will have more value then. Lastly, very few AAA games are worth playing nowadays anyway so how often are you even going to be paying $70 (or $60) for a game?

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
This wouldn't be as big a deal if games were worth $60-70, but most AAA games come with less content so the devs can cram them full of microtransactions.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
That's fine, 2K, demand more money. You and any who follow your example will just get added to the lot who don't get my money (assuming they're not already on the list).

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Increasing the price would be okay if we got games that were actually complete out of it, games that don't rely on DLC or gambling.

Somehow I don't think its going to be a trade though. We'll likely get the price increase AND rushed games, dlc and gambling.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
I must say I really appreciate that the Indie market continues to get larger and AA titles are on the come up so it will be easier for me and others to not have to worry about AAA nonsense.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
No, but i don't pay the full price for games as of now either.
I only do for Nintendo games, because they're discounted by almost nothing. I still usually get much more value out of them, though.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I'm ok with higher game prices for certain games. Something like The Witcher 3 or Red Dead Redemption 2 costing an extra $10 makes sense to me. Those are huge games with massive amounts of content. Literally hundreds of hours of gameplay which take many years to make.

No way am I ever paying more for a yearly released sports game that's already filled to the gills with micrtransactions, loot boxes, and pay to win nonsense.

To be fair though, it's pretty rare for me to buy a game on release these days. I still have a massive backlog and mostly buy games on sale, so you can definitely take my opinion with a grain of salt, since I would very rarely actually be paying the higher price.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
As everyone does here, I work for my money.

I think about cost, value. What am I getting for the money I turn over. For that, I find myself liking roguelites, looters, fighting games, certain light gun games (that I haven't memorized), and strategy games (Back on Age of Empires 3, probably the best that ever did it).

When you speak of an increase of cost, you must tell me why it is necessary for us as the customer. What this is giving us in terms of value.

If it was an extra ten dollars and microtransactions would be done away with? I'll pay it gladly.

But if you're still getting fat and rich from the Microtransactions curse, and the ten extra dollars are for no one but your shareholders? I say this unequivocally:

Miss me with that Bullshit.