Hindsight

Aug 25, 2009
My boomerang won't come back.

'I waved the thing all over the place, practiced til I was black in the face, I'm a great disgrace to the Aborigine race, my boomerang won't come back.'

Woah.

Also, my parents were playing me stuff like Whiskey in the Jar and Led Zeppelin when I was young, so I never had a chance. They had two types of tapes they used to play while my mum was pregnant, one lot was classical music and Mozart, the other punk and rock and roll.

'One thing I do have on my mind, if you can clarify please do, It's the way you call me by another guy's name when I try to make love to you.'

I first heard that when I was like 8 or something.

In terms of reading, my dad first gave me Doctor No to read when I was 7 (I wanted something to challenge me) and of course I read stuff like Wilbur Smith, which in hindsight is incredibly racist.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
I do remember an old folk song my grandmother used to sing, and is still a bit of a classic nursing rhyme. It's good, but it's undeniably a bit creepy.

It's called "Liten Karin", and supposedly based on the stories of S:t Catherine of Alexandria. The titular Karin is basically being pressured into sex by the king, who then have her executed (by way of spikebarrel, no less) when he doesn't get his way, the sod.

The end is rather chilling. Two doves from the heavens arrive and land on the occupied spikebarrel and becomes three. Then, two crows flies up from hell, land on the king and becomes three. So; regents who can't be arsed with getting their missus to put out terrorising the peasant population, followed by execution and divine interference. Appreciate democracy, kids, and be glad the king can't really do that no more!

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
krazykidd said:
Completly pulling this one out of my ass , but , Hush little baby , is about making a child shut up by buying them whatever they want , and if that doesn't work they buy them something else , essentially spoiling the child and making them be materialist . Good parenting for the win .

Edit: i vaguely remember a mother goos nursery rhyme where you throw a old man down a flight of stairs and he wouldn't wake up in the morning , anyone knows what that is?
Yeah, I do. Those are actually two separate children's rhymes.

The first one that has to do with the stairs is "Goosey, Goosey Gander.

"Goosey, Goosey Gander.
Whither dost thou wander?
Upstairs and Downstairs...
and in my lady's chamber.

There I met an old man
who wouldn't say his prayers.
I took him by the left leg
and threw him down the stairs."

I'd only never memorized and known the first half so the second half was much news to me.

The one with the man not waking up in the morning is that "It's raining, It's pouring" deal.

"It's raining. It's pouring.
The old man is snoring.
He went to bed
then bumped his head
and he couldn't get up in the morning."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As far as I'm aware, I'd probably think perhaps "Three Blind Mice." They got their tails chopped right off. I know this didn't occur to me when I was little.

Georgie Porgy and London Bridge is Falling Down aren't supposed to be very innocent rhymes either.

Oh and the original Rapunzel story had the witch who held her find out about the prince because Rapunzel got pregnant. And in the original Sleeping Beauty, the kiss did not wake her. Her babies did when she gave birth...

I just remembered: When I was little, I fell in love with the Bloodhound Gang's song "Bad Touch." I'd memorized most of it by the time my mom realized I'd even heard the song. It makes me laugh now 'cause I had no idea what it was about. I just danced to it.

Catie Caraco

Jun 27, 2011
I grew up on the fantasy movies of the 80s, so yeah, my childhood was full of things it probably should not have been. I watched Labyrinth (David Bowie's crotch, dear GOD!), Legend, Willow, The Dark Crystal... a lot of it is pretty grimdark. It scared me as a kid, but most of the really scary implications I didn't understand until I was an adult.

prophecy2514

Nov 7, 2011
back in primary (elementary) school, i'd say I was about 7, had a teacher who would put use duct tape to cover the mouths of the kids who were talking too much during show n tell.

At the time as we were kids, I guess we assumed this was normal at school so didnt know better. In hindsight, that shit shouldn't be tolerated with.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
A buddy of mine loved "Freakers' Ball" when he was a kid.

"Where all the fags and the dykes they're boogyin' together
The leather freaks are dressed in all kinds of leather
The greatest of the sadists and the masochists too
Screaming "Please hit me, and I'll hit you

Everybody's kissing each other
Brother with sister, son with mother
Smear my body up with butter
Take me to the freakers ball"

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Redlin5 said:
When I think about my early fascination with tanks, guns and war even before I played video games on those topics...

I wonder why I was like that. I hate funerals, why would I love things that mass produce death so much?
Simple answer, because guns and explosives are just cool. What they do to people in real world situations is not cool, but there's no denying that there's just something about the tools in themselves that taps into some base part of the human psyche that gets us all excited. No shame in admitting it.

OT: I dunno, I guess the day I found out that 'Ring a ring a roses' was about the black plague was a bit of a bummer.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Stasisesque said:
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
Ring around the rosie is apparently about the plague.
Nah, it's a popular legend rejected by pretty much everyone who studies these things. It is undeniably creepy, though.
Wolf In A Bear Suit said:
Ring-A-Ring-A-Rosie is quite a strange song it's about dying from the black plague. And on a subject I can't blame on anyone, I had a habit of crapping in public pools as a child. Like I got an entire pool shut down for a day as a baby. The pool owner's of Ireland slowly came to fear me and to fear the name of the "Phantom Poo"
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Redlin5 said:
When I think about my early fascination with tanks, guns and war even before I played video games on those topics...

I wonder why I was like that. I hate funerals, why would I love things that mass produce death so much?
Simple answer, because guns and explosives are just cool. What they do to people in real world situations is not cool, but there's no denying that there's just something about the tools in themselves that taps into some base part of the human psyche that gets us all excited. No shame in admitting it.

OT: I dunno, I guess the day I found out that 'Ring a ring a roses' was about the black plague was a bit of a bummer.
It's not a long thread, guys.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Dags90 said:
Where does your mom get these nursery rhymes? Seriously, I'd be concerned.
I don't know, really. When I tried googling the rhyme to see if any other people had heard it, the only versions I could find said 'wheat bread' instead of 'human flesh/meat'.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
gh0ti said:
The Pied Piper of Hamelin. As far as children's stories go, that one is pretty messed up.
Mordekaien said:
This can be said about almost every fairy tale ever.
You might be interested to know that it isn't entirely a work of fiction, and that a town called Hamelin actually lost a lot of children in medieval Germanyhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pied_piper. The explanation isn't fully agreed either...