Historical Coincidences.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
First things first.

Happy Birthday to Me! YEAH!

Oh, I guess no one wants to celebrate.

Anyway; what historical occurrences have happened on any dates that are important to you guys? I seem to have...

-George Washington's death. (Er, Yay?)
-The birth of the quantum theory. (I really love physics and I'm waiting for the time I take it in high school)
-The USSR separating from the League of Nations

...as some of the events that I found. So what about you guys? Anything interesting (historically) happened on dates important to you?

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Happy birthday!

I have Hitler's Death Day, George Washington becomes president day and The birth of Kirsten Dunstable day.

I think it's also an important day in he satanic calendar.
Edit: Hey, I finally hit 4000 posts.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
First thing that came to mind upon reading topic title:

182BC - year of death (depending on which historical source you go to, though, so not entirely verified) of Hannibal Barca (badass who bitched it across Italy for almost twenty years), Scipio Africanus (guy who beat Hannibal) and Licinius Crassus Dives (chap whose appointment gave Africanus the opportunity to beat Hannibal).

Good year for Cato the Elder, the fucking jackass.

*shrug*

Anyway, comparing dates in the year is always kinda boring, because there's always bound to be something that happened on any given day given a long time for it to happen... we have a lot of recorded history to churn through... -_- Better go for intriguing specific days with multiple events that happened far apart...

e.g. 8th May 1945 Erich Hartmann scores his 352nd and final kill in Brno... a few hundred miles away in Rheims, the Germans have just signed an unconditional surrender. Talk about thankless task... :/

Sure others can think of better...

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
My birthday is now Breivik-day. I think that's more than enough. Ruining Norway's international reputation and my birthday, now that's low.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Well here's a coincidence: it's my birthday too. So happy birthday and an internet high five to you.

It's also apparently the birthdate of the philosopher Nostradamus, but you'd have to take Wikipedia's word on that.

Mr.Cynic88

Oct 1, 2012
They founded the United Nations on my birthday, so that's cool.

In terms of historical coincidences, I'm always reminded of John Adams and Thomas Jefferson. 50 years after the signing of the Declaration of Independence, they both died on July 4, 1826. Adam's last recorded words are "Jefferson still lives," which are incorrect, because Jefferson had died five hours earlier.

N3squ1ck

Mar 7, 2012
On my birthday the first Gulf War started, also some years before that Hitler moved into the Führerbunker. Also some years before that Octavianus got the title "Augustus"

Also the B-Day of Kate Moss

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
My birthday (April 28) is shared with:

* Mutiny on the Bounty
* A vaccine for yellow fever is announced.
* Mussolini and his mistress are executed by the Italian resistance.
* Dennis Tito becomes the first space tourist.

AND MUCH MORE!

There's also two killing sprees that occurred on that date =( Neither of them in the US oddly enough.

EDIT: OOO! OOO! I also share a birthday with Terry Pratchett, one of my favourite authors! YAY!

Kaytastrophe

Jun 7, 2010
The two biggest events for my birthday was the surrender of Japan in World War II (August 15 in Japan, August 14 in North American) and the massive power outage that wiped the Northeastern seaboard in Canada and the United States.

Spaghetti

Goes Well With Pesto
Sep 2, 2009
My Birthday's May 4th,

- Kent State Shootings
- Margret Thatcher sworn in as Prime Minister
- HMS Sheffield sunk in Falklands War

...well fuck. At least it's also Star Wars day to make up for it...

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
My birthday is shared with.........Bill Murray. There's probably other things too but that's the only one I know off the top of my head.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
thesilentman said:
Happy Birthday to Me! YEAH!

:D

OT: Welp, there isn't much happening on my birthday. Well, there is lots of stuff on Wikipedia, but nothing I'd consider interesting (a bunch of kings did...stuff, I guess and other boring things). But what stood out was
1948 ? Communist revolution in Czechoslovakia.
1997 ? In Roslin, Scotland, scientists announce that an adult sheep named Dolly has been successfully cloned.

As for birthdays - Drew Barrymore and Chakuza[footnote]Autrian rapper, did also record in Germany. And is not mentioned on the Wikipedia page. Tsk-tsk, Wikipedia, you're slipping badly - not presenting interesting and informative stuff, eh?[/footnote].

And deaths: Stefan Zweig (some dude I remember having quoted in school) and Andy Warhol.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
July 16th
First Atomic bomb detonated
Catcher and the Rye is first published
Apollo 11 launches
JFK Jr. dies in a plane crash

Necron_warrior

OPPORTUNISTIC ANARCHIST
Mar 30, 2011
Mussolini's birthday, and Hitler's succession into power.

Totally not precursors to anything.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Some of the MANY things from Wikipedia. Just picked some that sound kinda interesting.

1607 ? 100 English settlers disembark in Jamestown, the first English colony in America.
1667 ? The French Royal Army crosses the border into the Spanish Netherlands, starting the War of Devolution opposing France to the Spanish Empire and the Triple Alliance.
1883 ? The Brooklyn Bridge in New York City is opened to traffic after 14 years of construction.

Birthdays

Queen Victoria
Bob Dylan
John C. Reilly
Maru (the cat)
Yahtzee