HIstorical events you would like to see in Video games

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Blackout62 said:
The Pre-Louisiana Purchase French Fur Trade in North America. Think of it as an MMO. You play a hunter on the great land east of the Mississipi. You kill and sell animal furs. The factions are the French (Canadians), US, British, and possibly Indians. This game could actually be good.
Wow, cool idea.

I have an idea for an MMO in which all game mechanics rely on one single resource. Call it Power. You earn Power by killing enemies, completing quests, or whatever seems worthy of a reward. Then you spend your Power at your own leisure to gain levels, gain health and mana, purchase equipment, unlock new zones or whatever goal or resource you may need. One resource you expend to do everything. The amount of Power you receive as a reward and the Power costs of... everything could be adjusted on the fly. Hopefully, gameplay would be very free-form and unrestricted because the customizable universal resource would allow developers to decide appropriate Power rewards for different types of accomplishments while also allowing players absolute control over the rewards for their efforts. In theory, the system would encourage a variety of play-styles and variety within play-styles.

Doing whatever you want is rewarded with whatever you want.

Your 'health' and 'mana' for spells would come from a single bar, which you could continually fill with Power, possibly with diminishing returns to keep things challenging. Spells and abilities would be the most efficient way to defeat enemies. Unfortunately, using them would decrease your 'health bar' and cost Power which could otherwise be put toward leveling up or new gear, so you are constantly challenged to defeat enemies as efficiently as possible.

What do you guys think about this? Has anything like it already been done?

punkrocker27

Mar 24, 2009
I wish they would make a game set in antiquity about both real history and fantasy. Like you could be a legionnaire tasked with investigating werewolf attacks in Gaul. Or something that touches on the littler-known exotic national myths, like being able to play as Hayk from mythological Armenia.

Other than that though I like the idea that some people had about frontier America. It would give people the chance to see for themselves just how far we've puched our boundaries in terms of what we can and cannot take from the land.

kannibus

Sep 21, 2009
Trafalgar and environs. Dude, I would make that wild ass hat look epic!

Oh Jesus.

Cross Mass Effect with this. Commander Shepard of the Royal Navy?

"I'm Commander Shepard good sir, and I proclaim this venue to be my most favored brothel in Portsmuth."

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Xerxes building a temporary bridge across the hellespont using a bunch of boats.

Maybe The Alamo.

thepj

Aug 15, 2009
I'd like to see a game that covers some kind of "the history of warfare" kind of thing. It goes from hunting and killing animals and other tribes of people in the African sahvana to shooting people with super advanced SPACE GUNS.

As for specific events (I'm not terribly sure what order these all come in but i've tried my best) : the seige of Troy, The battle of that place i forget the name of with the Spartans vs the Persians, some battles from the punic wars (where Rome fought carthage) cause admit it killing people on and then killing elephants would be awesome. Some of the pilliging Atilla the Hun did, the Battle of Hastings, crusades 1-3, the english civil war, the battle of Agincourt, skip forward a bit to: fighting natives in both South and North Americas. Some of the battles from the thirty years war. Skip forward a bit again to the American civil war and then to the Franco-Prussian war culminating with you marching into Paris. Skip again to the first world war to the battle of the Mons and then the Battle of the Marne (spelling?) then some bits of trench warfare, the battle of the Somme. Driving one of the first tanks into battle. The Russian civil war, the Manchurian Crisis, the Abbysinan war, the second world war taking in all parts western Europe eastern Europe and the Pacific. The Korean war getting the recognision it kinda deserves for inflicting a higher rate of casualties on the Americans than Vietnam did, the Tet offensive for that matter. The Cuban revolution and the Hugarian uprising, Afghanistan with the soviets, the gulf wars and finaly bringing it into the presant day with the Iraq war and Afghanistan with the Brits.

All of this would probably end up being such a huge supergame that the strain on reality and the systems would cause it the collapse, flop and disapear into development hell.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
King Toasty said:
Canid117 said:
deonte9109 said:
personally I would like to see a major war from ancient history. Like an old school battle where you have like thousands of guys just running at each other and more than likely whoever had the most people would win.
Like this?

Rome Total War
Or like this.
What game is that? I don't recognise it...

Entrophyinateacup

Jul 29, 2010
zHellas said:
Entrophyinateacup said:
Whether it be a conflict or not, what event would you like to see (or you would like to see more) in a video game. My personal choice would be WW1, I find it fascinating with the introduction of industrialization to warfare.
While it may have not been true events: Judas being made immortal as punishment, and having to go through time making up for his mistakes by doing good.

With kung-fu!

Or guns.
Imagine Gun Fu Action Judas

The game

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
WrongSprite said:
King Toasty said:
Canid117 said:
deonte9109 said:
personally I would like to see a major war from ancient history. Like an old school battle where you have like thousands of guys just running at each other and more than likely whoever had the most people would win.
Like this?

Rome Total War
Or like this.
What game is that? I don't recognise it...
Age of Empires Online, a terrible, terrible game based on the awesome series.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
The Cold War. Not an RTS per se, but a series of infiltration missions on behalf of two alliances.

I'd say The Dark Ages but if the Warlord Trilogy is any indication even an M-rated game might not do such a hellish time period justice.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
Nickolai77 said:
-Charlemagne's Empire, focused around the Battle of Tours.
This has always been my vote, but Charles Martel would have to be the main character. There's so much potential for political/religious tension as well as general badassery, the story almost writes itself (it could climax with the birth of Charlemagne, or something to that effect).

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Siege warfare. Love it! Epic Lord of the Rings style siege battles would be wonderful. The Battle of Pleanor (from the book) is perhaps the most epic battle scene ever. Although not quiet historical, if a game was made that allowed me to formulate battles of such epicness, I'd gladly shell out my money for that.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
How about a WW game in the eyes of Germany? You start off as a German who signs up for the army, and go through the Nazi propoganda system, the videos watched changing your views of the world ect.

A game where you play as "the bad guy" would interesting, plus it'd be nice to hear Jack Thompson and the anti-gaming gurus flapping their lips about something they have no actual knowledge about :p

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
deonte9109 said:
Surely this is a joke post?

deonte9109

Sep 8, 2010
Woodsey said:
deonte9109 said:
Surely this is a joke post?
Nope I am dead ass. I want strategy to take the far back seat. I just want two massive armies, a large empty battlefield preferably a desert, and the sweet, sweet sound of metal clashing and flesh being cut and torn.