Historical Inaccuracy Corner

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
Rawne1980 said:
U-571

Depicting Americans finding the German Enigma machine and basically making up an entire history about a u-boat that was never sunk.

First off, Britain was given the Enigma code by a Pole and went on to crack it. Nothing to do with the USA .... in fact it was before they got involved.
It's worse than that. The film is loosely based on an action carried out by British forces, the capture and subsequent scuttling of U-110 by the Royal Navy destroyer HMS Bulldog. Nine seamen boarded the damaged u-boat in rough seas via a wooden rowboat which broke up as they were boarding, and extracted the Enigma machine. Bulldog was then forced away to engage another u-boat, meaning that the seamen had to remain aboard the sinking u-boat for another five hours until Bulldog could return to retrieve them. U-110 was then scuttled in order to fool German intelligence into thinking the Enigma had not been captured.

This was an important action, as Naval Enigma was much harder to crack than the version of Enigma used by the Army and Luftwaffe.

Fifteen Enigmas were captured from u-boats in WW2. Thirteen by the Royal Navy, one by the Royal Canadian Navy and one by the US Navy in 1944 long after Naval Enigma had been cracked.

The screenwriter said later that he felt bad about the historical inaccuracy and would not do something like that again.

One part was based on real American heroism, though: the sacrifice made by the captain is based on a US Navy submarine captain in the Pacific fleet, who was wounded on the deck and ordered his men to leave him there and submerge the boat.

But for me, the nationality of a hero doesn't matter, and one person's actions don't reflect on their whole country, so I'm not bothered.

GruntOwner

Feb 22, 2009
The Rocketeer. George of The Jungle hadn't even been found until some time in the 90s, how was he able to win WWII with a beer powered rocket pack?

Also, out of curiosity to all the Escapist's tank buffs, how accurate was Company of Heroes? It'd be nice to know and I'd have no idea where to even begin researching it.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
GruntOwner said:
Also, out of curiosity to all the Escapist's tank buffs, how accurate was Company of Heroes? It'd be nice to know and I'd have no idea where to even begin researching it.
Haven't actually played the game (for some reason WWII & RTS just doesn't sit particularly well with me) but I have seen screenshots of it.

As far as I can tell, it's fairly accurate, as far as mechanical design is concerned (Shermans, PzKpfw Mks etc.), though I find some of the camo patterns to be questionable (and it seems to be rather King Tiger happy...). One thing, though, all the M4 Shermans are of the older A2 variant while at the time of the games' setting (post-Normandy... ish), most were A4 or later, still with the 75mm gun, but that was being phased out in favour of the 76mm (better anti-tank capability) version, along with the British adapted Firefly pattern (notably with the 55cal+ long barrel and muzzle-brake, features that the Americans quickly adopted as well).

EDIT: Apologies, though visually similar Panther =/= King Tiger... obviously... (underestimated the size of the KT's turret.)

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
BristolBerserker said:
spelling semantics

1. Saving Private Ryan. Great film but apparently Steven Spielberg has never heard of Sword, Gold and Juno beaches before and didn't read up about Omaha much either. In reality, the rangers disembarked from British ships and were taken to Omaha Beach by Royal Navy landing craft. The film depicts them as being United States Coast Guard-crewed craft from an American ship.

Alec Guinness's overacting
Sorry for the late quote... but regarding SPR, fairly sure that the Rangers only had one objective, and that was taking Pointe-du-Hoc at the far western end of the beach-zone. 29th and 1st were at Omaha...

Will now go away and check Operation Overlord order of battle...

EDIT: Yah... got my geography wrong, PdH is smack between Utah & Omaha... 2nd & 5th Btns were involved, though most of the fighting strength was diverted to Omaha. My bad...