Histories you think deserve more Hollywood attention

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
Title says it all. Hollywood loves to use historic events in their movies, but despite all the ones they've made, there's always some that remain forgotten and unfocused on. If you had the chance, which periods or events from history would you put up onto the big screen?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
The battle of Sekigahara. It'd be great to see Hollywood's take on that.

Plus, Tokugawa Ieyasu is a guy they can't whitewash the way they did Sadako.

Chris Mosher

Nov 28, 2011
I always thought that with all of the movies focusing on the Second World War that we need more movies about the First World War. I find it more interesting as there is a less cleaycut good versus evil narrative in that war and I would love to see an examination of how the treaty system in place before the war lead to the larger nations being drawn into the war.

Oct 12, 2011
Maybe the Zulu or Boer Wars? Given the changes in attitudes over the years, we might (emphasis on the might ) get an interesting movie out of it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Burned Hand said:
Most of the history of Indian subcontinent before the British got there. It's actually an incredibly rich history with its own mythology and heroes.

Johnny Novgorod said:
Make a movie about the Malvinas/Falklands War. Just to see how Hollywood handles it.
You know who would be the ideal director for that movie?

Jeremy Clarkson. :)
I'm pretty sure that guy's gonna get lynched if he ever returns to Argentina.

newfoundsky

Feb 9, 2010
I can see it now:

The Vatican: Battle of the Three Popes.

It could just be a Monty Python style farce about the pope of Avignon.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Where's my epic retelling of Gilgamesh at? I bet there's some low-budget crap about it, but I want me some of it.

And I don't want it by Ridley Scott, nor do I want it white-washed. Maybe something like the way they made Ten Canoes, but a bit more high-end as it were. I mean sure it's not exactly literal history, but if you tell it in a Ten Canoes way we can get enough of that in.
davidmc1158 said:
Maybe the Zulu or Boer Wars? Given the changes in attitudes over the years, we might (emphasis on the might ) get an interesting movie out of it.
At least Zulu is surprisingly accurate for a 1964 film. They even used actual Zulu oral traditions for info. Reminds me I need to see that again.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Chris Mosher said:
I always thought that with all of the movies focusing on the Second World War that we need more movies about the First World War. I find it more interesting as there is a less cleaycut good versus evil narrative in that war and I would love to see an examination of how the treaty system in place before the war lead to the larger nations being drawn into the war.
I came here to say this really. I feel like there should be a video game based on WW1 aswell. But not a shooter, as a drama story based game. I think it would be amazing. But there should be more films focusing on it.

Also, I'd love to see how hollywood would handle something like the Nanking Massacre. I know there is a film on it, and it is incredibly harrowing to watch, but the amount of people I've met that have never heard of the event just astounds me. And Ancient Egypt. I'd love more of that.

eberhart

Dec 20, 2012
Byzantines. Basically Game of Thrones on steroids plus constant migrations and far more sophisticated religion issues. Noses, eyes and "greyjoying" as a part of imperial policy. Also, Vikings, Vikings everywhere.

Russian Civil War - multinational, multicultural clusterfuck. Czechs controlling Transsyberian, western interventions, modern equipment being introduced - and single tank capturing a city, Far East being ruled by some psycho Ghengis-Khan impersonator, people from across all Europe - prisoners, deserters, adventurers, fanatics travelling thousands of miles trying to reach home, fight for a cause, get rich. Certain stories are actually less believable than average Hollywood blockbusters.

Spring of Nations - a revolt in multiple countries pulled off despite reactionary governments, closed borders and lack of lingua franca (in its modern sense) - and before Internet was even a thing. Young angry people, conspiracy, betrayal - and enough of social tension and individual drama for a metric ton of soap operas if House of Cards equivalent is not enough. Also, go away, Les Miserables, you are drunk and out of your league :/

Barbary Pirates. Because trolling Church of Identity Politics with Irish (and even Icelanders...) being captured as slaves by PoC raiders for a period longer than entire US history would never get old XD

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
The Anglo Zanzibar war, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Zanzibar_War, the movie would last about two times longer than the actual war.

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
Battle of Jutland. Make it a two parter, each from each sides perspective.

That or the journey of SMS Emden.

davidmc1158 said:
Might? There already are some!

Cowabungaa said:
At least Zulu is surprisingly accurate for a 1964 film. They even used actual Zulu oral traditions for info. Reminds me I need to see that again.
Was a good show in spirit, especially the ending and respect given by one martial people to the other. It's just the things facts they altered that bugged me, most of all what was done to
Otto Witt.

Oct 12, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
beastro said:
Might? There already are some!
I will admit the 1964 movie slipped my mind, but are there any movies about the Boer war? I have never heard of any personally, but then there are LOTS of movies out there I haven't heard of.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
TakerFoxx said:
A non-Biblical story about Ancient Egypt.
Awesome idea.

Also, anything about Celtic mythology. But less Clash of The Titans, more Game of Thrones.

There are some great flawed-character-driven stories there, and some truly epic battles.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
eberhart said:
Barbary Pirates. Because trolling Church of Identity Politics with Irish (and even Icelanders...) being captured as slaves by PoC raiders for a period longer than entire US history would never get old XD
The First Barbabry war would be cool. Also certain modern terrorism parallels.

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
I'd like to see more WWI films but with some actual historicity to them as opposed to sensationalist crap like "Fly Boys". "The Blue Max" is probably the best WWI film I've seen, but it would be great to see something more modern as well.

Also I'd love some early medieval history like during Merovingian Dynasty Frankia.

Earlier still, how about a more accurate portrayal of Alexander the Great? He's the greatest conqueror the world has ever seen, in my opinion, so much so that his generals went on to found their own dynasties. Which leads me too...

The Hasmonean Dynasty which arose from the Macabean rebellion against Antiochus IV of the Seleucid Empire. I was disappointed that Mel Gibson never got to make his Maccabee movie and would love to see one finally made.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Generally, Hollywood should leave history well alone, it's almost always done badly. Get someone else to do it, IMHO.

davidmc1158 said:
Have you seen Breaker Morant? Set in the Boer Wars, but more about the trial of 3 Australian soldiers than the war itself, but very good.

RedRockRun said:
I'd like to see more WWI films but with some actual historicity to them as opposed to sensationalist crap like "Fly Boys". "The Blue Max" is probably the best WWI film I've seen, but it would be great to see something more modern as well.
Lawrence of Arabia?

Failing that, Gallipoli or "Beneath Hill 60" come to mind.

bz316

Feb 10, 2010
They'd probably fuck it up, but I'm going to say the Sengoku Jidai era of Japanese history.