Histories you think deserve more Hollywood attention

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Oh, loads of people deserve to have movies made about them.

First on my list would be Wiltold Pilecki. He is honestly one of the greatest heroes I've ever heard of and yet few people outside of Poland know who he is. It's even got a good name already. Just call the movie Inmate 4859.

Actually, they seem to be making one for English speaking audiences. It needs to be handled carefully, but it could be great.

Then there's the one German general that could be considered somewhat admirable. Walther Wenck was still a Nazi, but his actions at the end of the war were entirely based on saving as many people from the Soviets as he could. He opened up a corridor for civilians and the shattered remnants of the German 9th Army to escape from the Russians.

You can't detract from the brutality of the Nazis, particularly on the eastern front, but it's not hard to argue that the Soviets were as bad or worse. No one deserves that treatment, and he did everything in his power to prevent that for as many people as he could. It shouldn't be THAT controversial as he was never charged with any war crimes and was released relatively soon after the war ended in 1947.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Burned Hand said:
The people who brought fried food to the world. Like Japanese fried foods? Thank the Portuguese. Those sailors really got around! :)
Oh yeah, and not only that but you could make a Hollywood three part epic on the travels of Magellan. Or if you're into the blood and guts you could also make a trilogy epic on Afonso de Albuquerque. Reputedly the greatest naval commander of his age, and the man that opened up (brutally) India to the world.

RedBeta22

Aug 28, 2008
Has anybody here listened to the Hardcore History episode Prophets of Doom? That's a story I'd like to see made into a film or mini-series.