History Lessons

Bobbyskizza

Aug 24, 2009
this fascinating i always love reading extra content about my games and the motvations of its characters

PodX140

Jul 1, 2009
Malygris said:
I guess it depends on the kind of experience you're after. I love the extras, everything from owners manuals to whatever other "supplementary material" the publisher decides to include, and I'm always a bit disappointed when I crack open a new game and find nothing but a disc and a folded, two-page "manual" inside. Maybe the market has changed and gamers no longer want or care about that kind of stuff, but I still see it as something of a step backwards.
A two page manual???? How is that supposed to hold the new game smell with only two pages!! The manual is the best part too!

Oh the horrors!

PS. Epic win for you if you get the reference.
PPS. I do in fact miss those days where games had loads of extra's and proper back stories and whatnot. its too bad they seem to be a dying breed.

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
WHAT?
When did this happen?
I will not watch a movie based on Asteroids.
I was bad at that game.
I also don't like the "story".
But at least they've got one *looks at 'splosion man*

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Generic_Dave said:
Am I the only one who misses such things? Long manuals with pages of back story and characterisation? I think we've lost something here...things like this can add depth to a game, in a way cinematics and cut sceens don't give...I don't know, maybe I'm just getting old...but I miss this shit.
I hear you... A couple games have embraced the love of manuals such as Shadow of the Colossus and Katamari Damacy, but for the most part they have eliminated them. I remember when I'd come home with the newest Mega Man, the first thing I'd do is open up the manual and read all about the new robots and their stories and details. While one could say these were all just little extras, it always felt like that made the story a bit more... I don't know, real. It's there in print, you can read it over at your leisure, not just on the screen, you know it's true because it's written down!

OK, maybe I'm going a little over the top there. But yeah. I'm with you.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
coldfrog said:
Generic_Dave said:
Am I the only one who misses such things? Long manuals with pages of back story and characterisation? I think we've lost something here...things like this can add depth to a game, in a way cinematics and cut sceens don't give...I don't know, maybe I'm just getting old...but I miss this shit.
I hear you... A couple games have embraced the love of manuals such as Shadow of the Colossus and Katamari Damacy, but for the most part they have eliminated them. I remember when I'd come home with the newest Mega Man, the first thing I'd do is open up the manual and read all about the new robots and their stories and details. While one could say these were all just little extras, it always felt like that made the story a bit more... I don't know, real. It's there in print, you can read it over at your leisure, not just on the screen, you know it's true because it's written down!

OK, maybe I'm going a little over the top there. But yeah. I'm with you.
Nope, not even a bit over the top. I'm right there with you, screaming into the abyss.