Hitman (2016) on GOG, and the case of "DRM-free"

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Recently, Hitman (2016) came to GOG.com. For those of you uninitiated, GOG.com is an online game store owned by CD Projekt Red, and is known for having games that are DRM-free. However, while technically you can play offline, Hitman severely takes away many features, such as unlocking weapons, items, outfits, starting locations and more are locked behind an online requirement.

While it can be argued that it's IO Interactive's fault for making the game this way, people are mad that GOG store page does not explain in detail what DRM-free means for this game. What initially started as a strong-reviewd game quickly turned into the average score of 1.3/5, many users criticizing the problem with not-so-DRM-free nature of the game.

The forum page, of course, was filled with angry responses. One of the staff members then threntened to remove bad reviews that incites review bombing. He/she did acknowledge the issue, and let the people know that those who purchased it have the option to refund.

It's been a few days since the post, and it looks like GOG didn't remove a ton of reviews; Because the game is still at a low score. While I'm sure they'll do their best to leave constructive criticisms alone, I can only imagine having power to do so can alter how the game is perceieved

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
If GOG advertises the games on their service as DRM-free (which is almost the entire draw of GOG) then they shouldn't sell any games that don't function fully without DRM.

Yes, it sucks that IO interactive made the game like that, but it's not GOG's obligation to sell the game and they shouldn't have sold it if it's not DRM free.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
To me this is less a problem with GOG and more the landscape that is video gaming today.

Where too many games are FAR too connected to the internet these days. Only in the indie scene can we find games who's only online connection is merely to download it and install it. Nothing more like restricting access of DLCs to an online check system. Or requiring you to create an online account to sign into, or worse having to be always online to even play the game.

And its also an issue with awareness, since DRM Free has not been too much of an attractive prospect to the masses. There are people that would prefer buying the Witcher games on Steam then GOG.

No one truly understands the issue with DRM in games and the value of DRM Free. I chatted with people that never even heard of GOG and would still buy this game on Steam, when GOG has the DRM Free option. (Along with GOG making games up to date and compatible with modern hardware)

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Video game developers are aware of GOG and have been deliberately making games to counteract what they do. They've been really clear that they dont like it

It does not surprise me that this has happened. Im more suprised it hasn't happened more regularly and sooner

Yep, this 'attack' should be targetted at IO but that's never stopped cancel culture. Similar things have happened to Steam and Rotten Tomatoes. They haven't cured any issues like this before

And I'm a person who disagrees with much CDprojektred business culture. Nor do I agree with DRM. I'm also very conscious that I used to follow people like Sterling and that was toxic

Reactions: Dalisclock

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
You know what the kicker of this all is? Even on Steam with 100% online compliance the game doesn’t even save progress. Not really. I recall finishing most of the Sapienza map before taking a long break from the game, only to not be able to load any saves upon returning, because the damn thing basically only functions online and requires a restart of missions in-progress. It’ll show items obtained and milestones but that’s it, or at least for me it was.

It’s a shame because I really wanted to like these new entries but this design is virtually a digital slap in the face, especially considering they likely won’t be supporting the latest trilogy years down the road. I get that things like elusive targets only work online but that sucks for anyone who hasn’t played the game constantly. So yeah, in other words it sucks for practically everyone who’s played the game.

Last edited: