HL2.exe has stopped working?

Shru1kan

Dec 10, 2009
I can't run my Team Fortress 2 copy for more than 15 minutes without it crashing. Has anyone else encountered this problem? My friend who just got it has the same issue.

If this is widespread I'm going to be pissed, I spent 20 bucks on an unplayable game it seems. Of course, if my computer died a month later I wouldn't have bought this over a year ago and could be a F2P player and this wouldn't upset me.

But seriously, this game takes up a huge amount of space compared to a year ago, and the servers take FOREVER to join, like go make a sandwich and come back lengths here. I even upgraded my internet from what was being choked down to near dial-up speeds (75kbps) up to 2.5 mbps. My drivers had MASSIVE updates and make games I could barely eek out before run smoothly.

So why is it that TF2 is the only game that takes 10 times as long to even get a fucking server list, about 5 minutes to join even a 31 ping server (if it will even join, about 90% of the servers in my list say they aren't responding), and then decide to crash about 5 minutes after that? Without fail. I feel ripped off. My NAT is open, and steam is allowed through my firewall (kind of redundant but just to be sure).

So has valve just overinflated this game? It's about 6 whole gigs bigger than what I remember having to download a long while back.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I've had that problem as well. The best choice you have is to verify the integrity of the game cache, defragment the files, or if all else fails, do a complete reinstallation to destroy the clutter.

Sep 14, 2009
i have this same problem, i did a fresh install and i'm going to try soon to see if it works, if not i'll check out steam support to see if they have any "related" fixes...

but yeah same problem with it not working, i'll join a server (as you said, takes at least 5 minutes for it to load) and i'll go to choose which guy i'm going to be, and it freezes at that point every single time, doesn't matter how long i've waited to pick the guy, it just does that every single damn time.

sad thing is i've played the game perfectly up until this point..(150 hours)

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
I've had that problem as well. The best choice you have is to verify the integrity of the game cache, defragment the files, or if all else fails, do a complete reinstallation to destroy the clutter.
That's really all you can do.

Or, go to your Steam files and navigate to the Steam library files

...steam/steamapps/(yoursteamname)

and delete your team fortress 2 file. When you play again, it's pretty much a fresh reinstall of some of the files, and its fixed many problems I've encountered. You still have to redownload maps and custom content, but it's better than redownloading the entire game.

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
valve did something to the engine, it seems to be fixed for me now but I felt your pain.
reinstalling probably wont do much, just wait for updates to fix it.

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
Funnily enough I get the HL2.exe message every time I close TF2 of my own volition. Seriously when I click quit the game ends like I want it to but my computer acts like its crashed. I've always shrugged it off since it doesn't seem to affect how the game runs, I guess it actually does interrupt the game for some people.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I was in the same boat as you a few days ago. Apparently the recent Manniversary Update caused all sorts of problems "under the hood" as it were. The Steam forums lit up like a Christmas tree when the majority of players kept crashing at various points in the game.

Valve is aware of the problem now and is working on fixing the situation. The latest patch fixed the crash issue for many users, but not everyone. Try waiting it out for the next few days and see if Valve addresses your crash issue. In the meantime, it might be a good idea to try what the previous posts have suggested (verifying the integrity of the game cache, defragging the directory, deleting the TF2 folder and have Steam replace it, etc.).

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Shru1kan said:
But seriously, this game takes up a huge amount of space compared to a year ago, and the servers take FOREVER to join, like go make a sandwich and come back lengths here. I even upgraded my internet from what was being choked down to near dial-up speeds (75kbps) up to 2.5 mbps.
In all honesty, that's not that fast....

Also, joining takes less time if you join the same servers consistently (because most of the map info is in the cache).

Haven't had any issues on OSX yet (though Steam does seem to like to launch the Terminal randomly in Lion), so not sure what the problem could be on your end.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
Tf2 has been having some problems, but they update every few days or if something needs it.
My guess it they're working on now.