Hogwarts Legacy - Whimsical Wizardry

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
That's just inexcusable. This has been going on for 6 weeks now.
Gotta be honest, this seems like an article making a mountain out of a molehill in which very few people are actually seeing this start up crash. Considering the game sold 13 million units and the article basically refers to an arbitruary "hundreds" of people, it doesn't make sense. It's not hard to fuck with the files on PC to make the game crash at launch, then make a Youtube video hit piece about it.

Considering the thousands of streamers, and millions of people playing the game without this issue I don't think it's something to condemn the game for especially due to the liklihood of the issue being self inflicted.

However if for the sake of argument there are a few hundred people having this issue and WB can't figure out why. That's a failure rate of 0.0004%, (assuming 500 people have the problem) hardly a concern. Start up crashes are sometime that devs can usually pinpoint pretty easily, but if the studio can't get the issue to happen for them under any circumstance it can only be two things. 1. People are fucking with game files on their PC and faking the crash. Or 2. The crashes require such a specific set of issues that it's impossible to replicate or fix.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
This was submitted to the official bug tracker, which also lists ps5 and Xbox crashes, not a YouTube hit piece

Reactions: BrawlMan

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Wizard game is #71 in metascore and #29 in user score for the year on metacritic, and those seem high

Game of the year it is not

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Wizard game is #71 in metascore and #29 in user score for the year on metacritic, and those seem high
I was going to respond to this by listing some games which the wizard game is supposedly better than according to metacritic, but let's not bother and cut to the chase.

The wizard game was marketed towards and, in many cases sold to, an audience who don't necessarily play a lot of games. I live with one such person. If you don't play a lot of games and only bought this one because of the stupid wizard shit, it probably seems very impressive. When I first played the original assassins creed it seemed impressive. When I first played whichever Far Cry game I played first, it seemed impressive. Now, it seems like wallpaper paste.

And normally, this would be irrelevant except that this is the games industry where journalism and PR are the same thing, because the objective is just to trick everyone into liking the same wallpaper paste forever so you can sell it in annualized, reskinned forms year after year and make infinite money.

In other words, I don't put a whole lot of faith into the sources metacritic is drawing from here. I don't put a lot of faith in the game advertisments either, it's just fun to dunk on people who think the libs stole their video games.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Eh, seems to have been a good, but not impessive game. Didn't buy or play it, so don't know for sure. It is probably fitting that it is not GOTY. Still, compared to nearly all other movie tie-ins or franchise milking games this is a pretty respectable result. But that is less a merit of Hogwards and more a problem with this particular subgenre, going back at least to the original E.T.

As for idiots blaming the libs, well, that is obviously nonsense. On the other hand the only reason someone even cares for yet another right wing conspiracy theory is because they are way too invested in the original controversy around this game. But is it my business to care about what trans controversies queer people feel strongly about ? Certainly not. So enjoy your glee and fun dunking.

Reactions: NerfedFalcon

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Huh, turns out wands DO beat guns. Eat it, ActiVision xD

Oh I jest, but considering most people have told me that Hogwarts Legacy is really front loaded with good stuff but then falls down at the end pretty bad, how much shittier must MW3 be as a campaign to be worse than that? Like wow.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Huh, turns out wands DO beat guns. Eat it, ActiVision xD

Oh I jest, but considering most people have told me that Hogwarts Legacy is really front loaded with good stuff but then falls down at the end pretty bad, how much shittier must MW3 be as a campaign to be worse than that? Like wow.
MW3's campaign has 12 missions, 7 of which take place in "open battle zones" which are basically just the multiplayer maps with some single player objectives and bots.

The plot itself is an idiot plot, in which it only happens because the people in the story are idiots.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The plot itself is an idiot plot, in which it only happens because the people in the story are idiots.
On the one hand, those do suck. But on the other hand, I read a great little comment about that sort of thing with war movies and it went thus: "Best way to make an unrealistic war movie: have everyone do the smart thing all the time". And sometimes a course of action only looks stupid because we the player have all the context and information, where the character making the decision only has a fraction of it. Then again its possible the plot is just stupid all the time in all the ways.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Then again its possible the plot is just stupid all the time in all the ways.
One example: Main villain Makarov escapes from prison. The good guys at Task Force 141 proceed to not tell the Russian government this, allowing Makarov to get on a passenger plane and blow it up. On the one hand, why didn't TF141 tell anybody about Makarov, and on the other hand, why did Makarov decide he personally needed to be on the plane that he was going to blow up?