HOLD THE LINE!

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
The Name of the Series: Babylon 5

Seriously though, classic series.

Oct 12, 2011

While I love the series, I do have to ask: What's the discussion for the thread?

If that's up for grabs, I nominate either A) everyone's favorite B5 scene/episode or B) pictures of kittens!!!!!

In light of same, here's my favorite scene (or at least one of them)

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Well, only seen the first three seasons, but Babylon 5 is my #1 sci-fi TV series, so there is that.

Also, "hold the line?" Peh. Puny humans. You just got lucky. If it wasn't for Sinclair, Earth would be a pile of ashes. :p

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Hawki said:
Well, only seen the first three seasons, but Babylon 5 is my #1 sci-fi TV series, so there is that.

Also, "hold the line?" Peh. Puny humans. You just got lucky. If it wasn't for Sinclair, Earth would be a pile of ashes. :p
Was he cheating though

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
What's the topic? What's the discussion value here? That Babylon 5 exists? I'll be honest that I did kind of forget that, but neat all the same.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
It's a topic about B5.

So...it's kind of expansive.

Shame so many of the actors have died.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I really need to rewatch this series. I remember loving it.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Words to live by

I love me some Babylon 5. I have been re-watching this recently as Pick have been showing it on a daily basis. It is starting to show its age now though, some of the dialog is cheesy and the acting is a bit hammy. And lets not start on those mid 90's CGI effects, the latter series are not so bad but the first and second series look really bad now.

But still, its great. In fact its so good, Bioware ripped off the story when it made the Mass Effect games.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010

Babylon 5 foretold the existence of the Wild West subforum.

11/10 best series.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Couldn't make it to the end of the first episode- the contrived reason that that battle started was just about the stupidest thing I'd ever seen. Does the show get better after that?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Only seen the intro movie, the river of movie, and the one about the extra-scary dark nasty aliens who totally failed to impress.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Squilookle said:
Couldn't make it to the end of the first episode- the contrived reason that that battle started was just about the stupidest thing I'd ever seen. Does the show get better after that?
Thoughts on the first episode aside, season 1 does get better. Ep. 4 is kind of a low point, but I'd say that ep. 5 is when the first season starts to hit its stride (6 dips a bit, but after that there's no duds). Of the seasons I've seen, I'd rank them as 2>1>3, but all get an overall stamp of "excellent" from me.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I love Babylon 5. Its so much the superior show that it made DS9 look just awful by comparison and is still why I don't see DS9 as being any better than Voyager or Enterprise. It went on a season too long, but those first 4 were some really great scifi tv. The action was good, I thought the effects were suitably underwhelming in such a way it made them look "more realistic" than better special effects. AND it follows one of my big "musts" for writing a series... you have to have written it. The writer has to know how it will END before he even starts writing the story. Then you fill out the run with episodes that get you there.

The serious bits are really good, but I liked some of the lighter moments as well. It was a story built on giving its actors really detailed characters to step into, and the lighter moments help define those characters.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Squilookle said:
Season one is pretty slow and to be honest, not the best. It is basically there to set up characters and plots that pay off in the following seasons. The show really starts to get really go from about halfway through the second series when the Shadow War and the Earth War kick off and then it is gold from there on in. I know that sounds a bit like the old excuse for video game excuse of "it gets good after 20 hours", but when there is a planned arch for the show, you don't mind so much about the build up.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Xsjadoblayde said:
Not my first assumption

Every person that played GTA Vice City would assume that's what they were talking about, however I guess people that were alive in the 80s would also think of it I guess.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
davidmc1158 said:

While I love the series, I do have to ask: What's the discussion for the thread?

If that's up for grabs, I nominate either A) everyone's favorite B5 scene/episode or B) pictures of kittens!!!!!

In light of same, here's my favorite scene (or at least one of them)
......I don?t give a fuck what anyone thinks: Mira Furlan is gorgeous. And dat accent.

Seriously though, Babylon 5 is one of the greatest sci-fi shows I have ever seen and both Andreas Katsulas and Peter Jurasik could act fucking rimgs around almost everyone from every Star Trek show not named Patrick Stewart.

Aside from season 5,that was kind of butts other than one or two episodes. And I?ll fight anyone who says Sleeping in Light isn't the greatest finale in sci-fi.