Holus Aims To Put A Holodeck On Your Tabletop

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Lightknight said:
What for? I've literally heard no buzz about this since and I keep my ears pretty low to the ground in the tech industry.
This is only theory, as clearly you listen in on businesses more than I do, but it seems to me that you could - for instance - use it in your arts/graphics department for the design of your whatever-needs-graphics. I've seen some of the things they use in art studios and in like sections of Carnegie Mellon University. They could fit there, and I still think it's viable for product design as much as it could be used in connection with a 3D printer. (Apparently, one of my folks had their tooth designed on a computer and then created.) In cases like this, I feel there could be a shift in the tools used. Now, if what you've heard doesn't jive with this, that's fine. I'm adopting a wait-and-see posture.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Not that this thing isn't cool, but frankly it seems nearly entirely obsolete if Microsoft's Hololens turns out well, or something like it.

This thing has an advantage in that you only need the one for multiple people, but other than that the augmented reality approach has all the same advantages, with even greater capabilities in terms of user interaction by being able to directly interact with the hologram versus controls external to the box, and without the need for extra peripherals. And on top of that,

A lot of it will depend upon capabilities and price points (this thing is fairly expensive, but has a social advantage if equipping all your friends/family with a hololens is prohibitive/annoying), but while cool, overall I think this approach is too limited as the potential interactions aren't much different than what you could have now without holograms, using a 3d environment and 4 monitors.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
FalloutJack said:
Lightknight said:
What for? I've literally heard no buzz about this since and I keep my ears pretty low to the ground in the tech industry.
This is only theory, as clearly you listen in on businesses more than I do, but it seems to me that you could - for instance - use it in your arts/graphics department for the design of your whatever-needs-graphics. I've seen some of the things they use in art studios and in like sections of Carnegie Mellon University. They could fit there, and I still think it's viable for product design as much as it could be used in connection with a 3D printer. (Apparently, one of my folks had their tooth designed on a computer and then created.) In cases like this, I feel there could be a shift in the tools used. Now, if what you've heard doesn't jive with this, that's fine. I'm adopting a wait-and-see posture.
It would depend pretty heavily on the cost of the product and how it can actually be used.

Can you honestly tell me what the functional difference between this and dragging the mouse to rotate and object on screen is? It's not like this is also an input device that then allows you to edit the object. Are you under the impression that this is anything other than a fancy non-touch monitor that displays things in three dimensions instead of two? Because that's all this is, just a monitor that has a few buttons on it that aren't meant to edit the file. But a touch screen display is able to do that and Microsoft's hololens is already been shown capable of doing exactly this but in a much larger space for the creator. The difference between this and a tablet is that you can walk around this object instead of rotating the object with your finger. Is that really worth anything to you or most people? Elon Musk, for example, uses a Oculus Rift Dev kit to visualize something in three dimensions and the move software allows them to interact freely with the object in meaningful ways. This is just something more than one person can see at once which isn't worth anything but to look at.

So that's the problem, this is a novelty but not useful. If it's really cheap then they can make the novelty worth it but that only goes so far. The only thing I can think of is the ability to get a sense of scale of an object that is small enough to fit in this display. That's about the limit of the usefulness and computers already show scale.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Lightknight said:
Cost is always an issue, probably why we opened up discussion on that end, but I feel it will come down.

As for the mouse...it works, but is it always better? Your Mileage May Vary. I can honestly say it's not without interface screws. We'll just have to see if this new technology has any of its own.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
FalloutJack said:
Lightknight said:
Cost is always an issue, probably why we opened up discussion on that end, but I feel it will come down.

As for the mouse...it works, but is it always better? Your Mileage May Vary. I can honestly say it's not without interface screws. We'll just have to see if this new technology has any of its own.
Better? Doesn't have to be, it just has to be as good or in a reasonable proximity to fail justifying an unnecessary expense.

Even if they end up getting move technology to work you're still looking at a space that in full is smaller than my computer monitor. So even the perception of scale is very limited.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Lightknight said:
FalloutJack said:
Lightknight said:

Better? Doesn't have to be, it just has to be as good or in a reasonable proximity to fail justifying an unnecessary expense.

Even if they end up getting move technology to work you're still looking at a space that in full is smaller than my computer monitor. So even the perception of scale is very limited.
I don't think this is going to be the only size it comes in. The thing is, yeah, we're looking at something that's suppose to replace a moniter, or at least those in certain fields. Will it make the hottest new television? Who knows? They didn't think that would catch on either. I wouldn't say that calling it a novelty is bad either. People like novelty. Frankly, there's been a call to create and reproduce aspects of science fiction or improve upon them since their inception into regular media. It's basically Star Trek that drove them to make this thing. It's basically Star Trek that drove cellphones and the 3D printer into existence. I don't see any real reason this won't work on commercial OR novelty angles. There's as much possibility that it'll go by my theory as much as yours.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
FalloutJack said:
Lightknight said:
FalloutJack said:
Lightknight said:

I don't think this is going to be the only size it comes in. The thing is, yeah, we're looking at something that's suppose to replace a moniter, or at least those in certain fields. Will it make the hottest new television? Who knows? They didn't think that would catch on either. I wouldn't say that calling it a novelty is bad either. People like novelty. Frankly, there's been a call to create and reproduce aspects of science fiction or improve upon them since their inception into regular media. It's basically Star Trek that drove them to make this thing. It's basically Star Trek that drove cellphones and the 3D printer into existence. I don't see any real reason this won't work on commercial OR novelty angles. There's as much possibility that it'll go by my theory as much as yours.
One that is human-height would have viable display applications, sure. A full scale holodeck would also be interesting but this technology is COMPLETELY unrelated to that as anything inside of this device would not be able to see those images. So please understand that this isn't me knocking hologram technology in general, just this very specific product.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Lightknight said:
So please understand that this isn't me knocking hologram technology in general, just this very specific product.
I can understand your hang-up, but we'll just have to see what other people think there.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
FalloutJack said:
Lightknight said:
So please understand that this isn't me knocking hologram technology in general, just this very specific product.
I can understand your hang-up, but we'll just have to see what other people think there.
Do you hear anyone else talking about this at all? This is a tech and gaming site, the two things that this product is aimed at and yet here you and I have had a lengthy discussion and all within the first page of this now old article. There is no buzz. Not like there was with things like the Rift. Not like there was with any successful product, really.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Lightknight said:
And if the comment level from one site meant anything, you would have a point. Wait for what actually happens, first. You have an opinion, I have another. Neither point is better than the other at this time.