Holy Crap, Saw Doesn't Suck

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
calelogan said:
Perhaps the thought that "constantly watching your jaw get ripped from your skull" wouldn't be good for PR (or endurable) crossed the developers' minds. Still, as a fan of the first Saw - not a fan of gore - I understand we expect a lot of graphic violence when the franchise's title is mentioned.

Thanks for preview though, I am now also cautiously optimistic and eager to get a hold of the results.

Regarding narrative, one thing did leave me confused (and I'll put this in spoilers given it has to do with the plot in the movies):

If the game takes place in between the first and second movies then how can Danny Glover be alive if his throat was slit at the ending of the first one?
Hmmm...you may have a point about the gore factor in the public demo -- I admit, I hadn't thought of that. As for your question regarding the plot, not sure. The demo begins with Jigsaw mentioning that...

You were shot. In fact, the oh-so-convenient bullet hole is how he gets the key into your insides. It's relatively easy to gloss over such things, though. Unless a film specifically spells out that a character is dead -- like, puts them in a morgue or you see the funeral -- there's always the magic wand "you recovered!" possibility. A person can survive having their throat cut, so it's not too far out there.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
The movies never really did scare me...but the thought of a Saw video game being GOOD..........now that's scary!

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
Why are people always anxious whenever they bridge the "Video Game <-> Movie" gap?
Sure, so far it hasn't been very promising...
But we'll see when it comes to this game and the Bioshock movie.

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
hmm... Yahtzee may enjoy this. In relevant news, yeah I might check this out /newbie sapping off Yahtzees Australian fame.

Oh yeah and it's my b'day tomoz :D

yeah_so_no

Sep 11, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Ok, one thing I left out -- the violence is not nearly as graphic as it should be for this particular game. I'm not a fan of blood for blood's sake, but given the source material for this particular title, it should be way more graphic than it is.
That's actually a plus for some of us, though. Y'know, the ones who spent quite a bit of Saw going, "Aaargh!" and covering their faces with their hands because oh god, I did not need to see that.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
yeah_so_no said:
Susan Arendt said:
Ok, one thing I left out -- the violence is not nearly as graphic as it should be for this particular game. I'm not a fan of blood for blood's sake, but given the source material for this particular title, it should be way more graphic than it is.
That's actually a plus for some of us, though. Y'know, the ones who spent quite a bit of Saw going, "Aaargh!" and covering their faces with their hands because oh god, I did not need to see that.
Um...then why would you be playing a Saw game? I mean, I totally understand not digging blood and guts, don't fault you for that at all, but if that's not your thing, then a game based on those movies might not be the one for you, y'know?

yeah_so_no

Sep 11, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
yeah_so_no said:
Susan Arendt said:
Um...then why would you be playing a Saw game? I mean, I totally understand not digging blood and guts, don't fault you for that at all, but if that's not your thing, then a game based on those movies might not be the one for you, y'know?
Saw was actually right at my limit--I can take a fair bit of gore, but Saw was like the oooooone step past my gore limit (it was the first horror movie where I've ever covered my face, and I love horror movies). I liked the movie, though, aside from that "one step too far" thing. So finding out the game is knocked down a bit in the gore department means I might actually play it instead of passing, like I did on the rest of the Saw movies.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
I'm hoping for a good plot. Does Danny Glover voice the character, or is it a soundalike?

Beefcakes

Pants Lord of Vodka
Aug 11, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
-...If the rest of the game stays as smart as the demo, it'll be pretty damn fun...-
Yeah, its just that if that worries me, because as certain demo's can show (can't think of one at this point in time, so don't ask), its a pretty big if.
But I'll take this review under consideration, but I'm warning you, this game was heavily in the negative section for 'Games I want on a 10-point scale'. This is just bringing up to near 0
Just can't see the appeal, but if its as intelligent as you make it out to be, might give it a whirl.
I'm not one to shun games just for the sake of shunning them...

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
scnj said:
I'm hoping for a good plot. Does Danny Glover voice the character, or is it a soundalike?
Danny Glover wasn't actually in any of the traps in the movie from what I remember, someone else was in the face bear trap. So probably not.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Kross said:
scnj said:
Danny Glover wasn't actually in any of the traps in the movie from what I remember, someone else was in the face bear trap. So probably not.
Soundalike. But Jigsaw is voiced by the actor, which makes all the difference in the world.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Kross said:
scnj said:
Soundalike. But Jigsaw is voiced by the actor, which makes all the difference in the world.
Obviously. There is nobody who can replicate Tobin Bell's voice.

Mewick_Alex

May 25, 2009
calelogan said:
If the game takes place in between the first and second movies then how can Danny Glover be alive if his throat was slit at the ending of the first one?
Wasn't the second film a prequel?

Could be wrong, the second one is actually that only one I haven't seen.

5stringedbandit

Jun 6, 2009
-Stranger- said:
5stringedbandit said:
Can this be? A decent looking movie tie in??? :|
First Ghostbusters, now this? I'm getting ready for the apocalypse.
maybe, just maybe, developers are starting to realise where they are going wrong. Or maybe they are just fluking it....

Fuhjem

Jan 17, 2009
I thought it would turn out crap, too. I'm glad I thought that way because now the game has exceeded my expectations, and makes me feel good.