Home Of The Underdogs Goes Under

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Home Of The Underdogs Goes Under

Home of the Underdogs, the most widely-recognized and enduring abandonware site on the net, is no more.

The bad news came in the form of a Flash of Steel [http://twitter.com/] notes, the site's demise has been a long time coming; it was, perhaps a touch ironically, abandoned by Achavanuntakul, who last updated in 2006. But the game information, the reviews and the commentary all remained intact and it stayed a popular destination for people seeking out old and obscure games from days long ago.

Unlike conventional gaming sites, Home of the Underdogs was as much as museum as it was a download site, focusing exclusively on older and little-known games. Entries on the site typically included detailed information about the developer and publisher, system requirements, reviews, ratings and more, while various "how-tos" and links to old game manuals and related sites were also featured.

The site drew significant hits in its heyday, claiming more than 50,000 unique visitors daily and an average of over eight million page views per month. And although it was rescued from oblivion after briefly going offline in September 2008, that seems unlikely to happen again. Other abandonware sites will help ensure that the great history preserved by HotU remains accessible, but it's nonetheless a sad loss for gamers with a love for the classics.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
I shed a tear for this site. A man tear, but still a tear. Back in the day, it was a site I frequented at least twice a week (sometimes during class :p).

RIP Underdogs. You will be missed.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Damn, that sucks. I've looked up stuff on HoTU numerous times. To me, it was the Wikipedia of DOS games. (Other games also, but I looked up mainly old MS-DOS titles)

Mokuren

Feb 19, 2009
Man, this sucks, I've used that site countless times in the past and had so much fun.

What saddens me more is that its Most Wanted list will remain unfulfilled, I was so terribly curious about some of the entries...

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Gah, a great page lost...

The best source of abandonware informations on the Net is gone.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Ah good times with that site, made me feel like a right elitist knowing how many of thoese games I had played

RIP HOTU

Airhead

May 8, 2008
I`ve been visiting this page since so many years ago. Found many good, little-known games. Sad.

LesIsMore

Jul 22, 2008
Moment of silence indeed. This site actually served as the inspiration for my feature on abandonware back in November, The Vintage Game Preservation Society. While it didn't have any current updates and therefore wasn't mentioned too heavily in the article beyond the introduction, it was a strong example of the culture abandonware was in support of.

nww02

May 22, 2008
That's a damn shame. I loved HOTU. I hope the code / site can be resurrected elsewhere some day. Nowhere else was a patch on it.

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
The end of an era. I think that even when it was still updating, toward the end I stopped downloading anything and instead just read the new entries. It helped me discover games I'd never even heard of, and which I loved. The Magic Candle games is one of my all-time favorite series, but I'd never even heard of Bloodstone: An Epic Dwarven Tale until I came across it on HOTU. What a find!

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
I too feel that I should pay my respects with a moment of silence for Home of the Underdogs. I really loved that site, and will miss it dearly.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Fuck.

Now I will have to pay for oldies :/ Old games should be counted as our cultural goods and history.

Blank__

Oct 9, 2008
Yeah, it long since stopped being a go-to place to download old games (torrents and HotU clones make it redundant), but the information contained within was fantastic, right to the end. It's a darn shame to see it close its doors for good. I learned of, played, and purchased many, many games based on his recommendations. They were almost always spot on.

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
Oh, that's awful. I used the site once, but I found it to be a good site.I'm all for the preservation of games whose day has gone, so I really hope other sites will help pick up the data on HotU.

Liverandbacon

Nov 27, 2008
This is tragic. HotU was a great site, even when it stopped getting updated. It helped me discover a bunch of games I had missed out on.

Bongo Bill

Jul 13, 2006
The games weren't the really important part of this. Abandonware sites come and go, and HotU really didn't have enough bandwidth to host all of those otherwise-unavailable games. But, in the days before Mobygames [http://www.mobygames.com/]' database got really substantial, it was a gold mine of information: the games were described, categorized, and reviewed, with information not just about the release date, platform, publisher, and developer, but also grouped into very precise genres, sorted according to theme, and cross-referenced with similar games. If I wanted to know something about an old game, oftentimes I'd check HotU's page on it first.

Captain Blackout

Feb 17, 2009
raxiv said:
Fuck.

Now I will have to pay for oldies :/ Old games should be counted as our cultural goods and history.
Start a political movement. Call up the pirate party (yes, they really exist, look 'em up. I'm a card carrying member.)

If you can get old games politically recognized (good luck) or some such as cultural history, you might find a way to continue preservation ad infinitum.