Home of the Underdogs is Back!

JLrep

May 8, 2009
Lord_Pall said:
There were a few revivals after the original went down. Attempts to work on a single effort didn't work out and the revival group fell apart. None of the other revivals have seen any changes since March, and they're all partial versions of the original (static pages, no files or anything), let alone any actual growth.

I worked closely with the revival groups and Dan Pinchbeck over at the University of Portsmouth to make sure I had his blessing on this site. It was only after his okay that I brought it up in March.

That said, none of these revivals are "Official" in the sense of sanctioned by Sarinee (the original Underdog).
Oh, excellent. HotU is one of my favorite sites ever.
I also really hope to see the return of the downloads. Not for any of the "gray-legal" stuff (let alone System Shock 2 or Grim Fandango, which I'm sure are both still supported), but for their really old, otherwise-nigh-impossible-to-find stuff (like much of the stuff on Macintosh Garden). A lot of the games were just a few megabytes each.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
In my ignorance, I have never heard of this site. What is it?

Is it free?

Is it legit?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
raxiv said:
Was referring to the fact, that the original HotU gave the opportunity to download the "ancient", historic titles for no-charge. Working with GOG means limiting access to history. Call me a cheapstake, but the main value of a museum to me, is the no admittance fee and the great experience of revisiting the past. The venture doesn't look as much as appealing as it looked without the fee's of GOG...
Funny, I prefer this approach as I see it creating a greater degree of legitimacy for HotU. Especially in light of what GOG charges, it's a fantastic deal and I'm very happy to see HotU taking this route.

Besides, when was the last time you went to a museum without an admittance fee?

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Still looking for a way to play some 7th Guest and 11th Hour. I miss those games, never got to finish either...

Still, glad to see HotU is back and trying to highlight itself with a more respectable reputation.

ROBO_LEADER

Nov 5, 2007
HOLY CRAP!

Wow, see, this is where I got Chex Quest 2 and 3, because nobody else hosted them anymore after Digital Cafe disbanded. Good to see them back.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Well this is actually really good, and not too different from how they did it in the past. Not having downloads for games being sold is perfectly reasonable.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I'm a little confused as to what exactly HOTUD is, can someone explain to me? It's apparantly a place where you can play old games?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
HoTUD is an Abadnonware site which was originally based around the idea of only supporting abandoned games which were not successful but still fairly good. As opposed to sites like "Abandonia" which was handling titles that were abandoned but also pretty successful in their heyday.

The problem with Abandonware sites, is that when you DO find a game for download that noone is selling or cliaming the rights do, that typically you need to do a lot of work to get it to work on your system. Trying to get Dosbox to work (even with a frontend) is something I (and many others) have not been able to do reliably. The same can be applied to other nessicary emulators, slowdown programs, and other things.

Differant people have differant degrees of luck however.

I have mixed feelings about "abandonware" sites that charge anything. On one hand I feel what makes this legitimate is the fact that they aren't charing to make money off someone else's work. Comments about how "bandwidth isn't free" bear a great deal of validity, but at the same time it's impossible to verify whether the person involved is just covering costs or making any kind of a profit.

Then again there is also the entire issue that if I pay for a game, even a tiny amount of money, I expect it to work. These old games are hardly plug and play. I've gotten some to work one way or another, and others just will not function. I'm not going to pay anything to effectively play Russian Roulette with a game I might not be able to operate. If someone charges me for a DL under any justification they had best have found a way to ensure that program is going to run quickly and easily on my current system.

That said there ARE numerous old games I'd pay a couple of bucks apiece for if they could be made to reliably run on my system.

>>>----Therumancer--->

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Well, cool... But you can't download System Shock 2.

Damn. Oh well, I still have GOG.com.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Malygris said:
raxiv said:
Was referring to the fact, that the original HotU gave the opportunity to download the "ancient", historic titles for no-charge. Working with GOG means limiting access to history. Call me a cheapstake, but the main value of a museum to me, is the no admittance fee and the great experience of revisiting the past. The venture doesn't look as much as appealing as it looked without the fee's of GOG...
Funny, I prefer this approach as I see it creating a greater degree of legitimacy for HotU. Especially in light of what GOG charges, it's a fantastic deal and I'm very happy to see HotU taking this route.

Besides, when was the last time you went to a museum without an admittance fee?
In Poland, pretty much every museum (majority of them) has no admittance fee, and I was in one two weeks ago.
And I am torn apart with your argument really. You make a valid point, and despite GOG being a Polish initiative, and brings up highlight to "older" games, I feel it targets the precious accessability to history more then helps - It's my impression though, and as I said I am torn in this issue. I am not happy, but I am not angry/sad either.

It boils down to the fact, I would pay for the best games of my childhood - however I'd rather pay symbolic money. I haven't checked the current prices for games on GOG but last time I did, MDK costed 10$, while I would pay 5$, since thats how much it costs to get it off the shelve in a retail box (yeah, I saw MDK in a PC-part shop in its retail box).

incal11

Oct 24, 2008
GoG looks just like a scam to me, on par with ebaum's world ;
but I'll change my opinion if someone here download rayman 1 from this site and can make it work perfectly, music and all, with no problem.

TheKbob

Jul 15, 2008
incal11 said:
but I'll change my opinion if someone here download rayman 1 from this site and can make it work perfectly, music and all, with no problem.
GOG is run by CDProjekt, the makers of The Witcher. They are an AWESOME company and it no way a scam.

incal11

Oct 24, 2008
TheKbob said:
incal11 said:
GOG is run by CDProjekt, the makers of The Witcher. They are an AWESOME company and it no way a scam.
Fine, I can believe you;
but are they making old games (such as the first rayman) work well on newer systems ?
because if the dosbox is still required that's not much of an "update" worth 9.99$.
I may be willing to pay for a reedition , on the shelves, fully compatible with XP; not for a download that I don't know if it'll work, even with the dosbox.

Also, do they really own the rights to sell all the games they propose ?
I know they stroke a deal with Ubisoft, but that doesn't cover all of it.

I understand that some feel better paying for their games, but to me it just looks like your nostalgia is being exploited by some nosy guy who has no rights on most of the games he proposes.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
BTW guys/girls, a picture tells a thousand words:

If they have Grim Fandigo on there, I will kiss you. Even if you don't want it.

At present, LucasArt seem intent on stopping anyone from getting copies of their old game (i.e. the games from when they were actually good), and don't seem to want to sell them again via Direct Download.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
incal11 said:
Fine, I can believe you;
but are they making old games (such as the first rayman) work well on newer systems ?
because if the dosbox is still required that's not much of an "update" worth 9.99$.
I may be willing to pay for a reedition , on the shelves, fully compatible with XP; not for a download that I don't know if it'll work, even with the dosbox.

Also, do they really own the rights to sell all the games they propose ?
I know they stroke a deal with Ubisoft, but that doesn't cover all of it.

I understand that some feel better paying for their games, but to me it just looks like your nostalgia is being exploited by some nosy guy who has no rights on most of the games he proposes.
It's not like the information you seek is hidden. Why not take the time to look before you leap to conclusions.

Or you can start here:
http://www.gog.com/en/about_us/
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/gog_forums_frequently_asked_questions

Some of our relevant news articles:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86992-Good-Old-Games-Moves-To-Open-Beta
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88264-Get-Some-Free-Games-At-GOG

Don't want to take our word for it? Ok, other sites:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/good-old-games-interview
http://kotaku.com/5047893/good-old-games-beta-launches

incal11

Oct 24, 2008
paulgruberman said:
It's not like the information you seek is hidden. Why not take the time to look before you leap to conclusions.
Being insulting will certainly help convince me, well done.

paulgruberman said:
Or you can start here:
http://www.gog.com/en/about_us/
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/gog_forums_frequently_asked_questions
...does not answer my questions, but I trust the technical support is good as it have to be.

paulgruberman said:
Some of our relevant news articles:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86992-Good-Old-Games-Moves-To-Open-Beta
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88264-Get-Some-Free-Games-At-GOG
So...GoG has deals with several other publishers, that still doesn't cover it all.
Asking supposed copyrights holders who most often do not care (when they say yes), then making pay 5 or 10 bucks for these, it's still bad taste.
Glad to see that GoG do update the games to work correctly on newer systems, I can agree then that it's necessary to reward the effort to some extend;
but I'd like to see the page that officially state what part of that money goes to the makers of every games, etc...

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
incal11 said:
but I'd like to see the page that officially state what part of that money goes to the makers of every games, etc...
What vendor ever tells you the breakdown of pricing/costs per item? Do you demand the same from Steam or high street retailers?

I've been using GOG for many months now, and I think they've done a great job. I really hope they can continue as they have started, as they already have over 100 games available, including some big ones.

Their tech support is good, they are friendly folks who post regularly on their own forum, I can't praise them highly enough.

They pulled me in with Fallout, and I've bought 26 games from them already. These include Duke Nukem 3d, Beyond Good and Evil, Jagged Alliance 2 and Descent.