Home Users Are Some of the Most Hardcore PS3 Users Around, Says Sony

II2

Mar 13, 2010
If you strip away the buzz words and implications and such, it actually makes sense, more or less:

Home isn't (when I owned a ps3) a readily accessible or standout feature of the console. People who go digging into it and exploring their machines are indeed likely the sort to be inclined to use their console a lot.

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
An average session of 70 minutes makes you hardcore? Get the fuck out of here. Quadruple that and we'll talk.

NickCooley said:
THERE. IS. NOTHING. HARDCORE. ABOUT. GAMING!

Unless you game while rock climbing or sky diving or whilst in orbit or something, that would be pretty hardcore.
I'm pretty sure that kid in Asia that played a game at a LAN center until he literally died was hardcore.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=define%3Ahardcore

In case you don't decide to click the link, hardcore is defined as intensely loyal. What definition are you using? Or do you not even know what the word means?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I tried HOME a couple of times, and it was interesting, though it was heavy on the "nothing to do" side. It's an interesting application to use maybe 5 or 10 minutes at a time, but the constant downloading and redownloading of all the stupid rooms just made the whole thing extremely disjointed and artificial.

It's interesting, to say the least, and if implemented better I would like to go back, but I doubt I will.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Really? There are people that use that god-awful system?
I don't think "hardcore" was the word he was looking for: More like "Insane".
As in an insane tolerance for boredom.

What I recall of Home was an overloaded 3D chatroom with no real redeeming qualities.

Con Carne

Nov 12, 2009
I can see Home being used by stay at home moms. Ya know, when the kids are at school and the hubby is at work. It's like a digital Barbie experience (Being able to customize your avatar and a condo which most of us will never be able to afford.) with most of the same features as Facebook. Maybe the "hardcore" gamers are moms...

Allspice

Mar 1, 2011
I tried Home once...for about five minutes. Then I decided I would rather play a game than mess with it.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
While Home isn't "hardcore" it still does have a lot of interesting things to play with...they just cost money. Things like The Odd Gentlemen's Slap Happy Sam's Stage Show and Sodium 1's Salt Shooter cost money but are definately worth the 2 to 5 dollars you pay for them. Plus they are usually tied to a nice item to wear or show off in your house that nobody is going to see anytime soon.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
The Home thing is debatable, but not so far fetched. But I give credit to Sony for actually giving some sense of humillity a chance. Its a nice change to the naive go stuff they are usually spewing.

commasplice

Dec 24, 2009
Here's what I want to know: when did gaming switch to hardcore vs. casual mode? I mean, nowadays, we'd consider someone who plays Tetris or Pacman on their phone a "casual," right? Even if they spend 5+ hours a day playing those games exclusively. But could you really tell me that Billy Mitchell is a casual gamer?

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Radelaide said:
"Yeah! Our users are more hard core than yours!"

Way to win a race that NO-ONE cares about.
Considering that most of my 'hard-core gaming teen-friends' do, I think it is a smart choice with that mindset. And who said they won?!

cthur

Mar 18, 2010
Nouw said:
Radelaide said:
"Yeah! Our users are more hard core than yours!"

Way to win a race that NO-ONE cares about.
Considering that most of my 'hard-core gaming teen-friends' do, I think it is a smart choice with that mindset. And who said they won?!
Yeah I didn't see any claim that Sony was winning anything, just that the average home users aren't really casual gamers... Is that a win in someway that I am just not understanding.

Anyway, I like Home. It needs more work definitely, but it's still pretty cool idea. I just wish there wasn't so much downloading and loading.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Sadly, the only people I know use Home are people who are too poor to be spending money on the service. Coincidentally, these are the same people who are pumped about Call of Duty Elite.

HydraMoon

From high atop the treehouse
May 3, 2011
I'm open to the idea of Home- there just wasn't anything to do. Also- I don't want to listen to kids that I didn't give birth to, walk around and act the donkey or Big Guy On The Playground. Honestly, I'm just too old for that and I won't put up with paying for a service where I get treated like crap on it and have no recourse for filtering beyond on/off switches. (I bought the PS3, I pay the internet bill to use it- so yes, I did pay for it.)

I'm not really their target demo though. I don't like online multiplayer at all, I'm too old and I still view the appropriate place to have a conversation online is on a message board. I'm a fogey I suppose.

I'd like it if the entire world of Home was the game and there were things to find or monsters to beat. Something where if I don't want to talk to anyone, I can have an overreaching narrative or goal. Even something like 'find ten blue orbs' would be fine. They had that in the Ratchet and Clank area and that was fun. Only took ten minutes but still fun- so why not make the hunt bigger than one room? Why not have random encounters in Home for a battle or game-related activity that relates to a new release or some such? Home is ok, it just needs a bit more UMPH.

Hardcore... huh. I wonder if 200 years ago there were people who were HARDCORE YARRR! board game players and felt the need to separate themselves off from the other gamers. Which board game would be hardcore and which casual? Was Parcheesi for wimps and all the cool kids played mancala? Were hardcore board games the ones with fire, a cannon and a woman of negotiable virtue?

culade

Quiet Knoll
Dec 17, 2007
All the required downloading when you first start using it wears on your patience. I didn't care for it the first time i tried it. After i finally gave it more than a passing glance, i grew to like Home.

HydraMoon said:
I don't want to listen to kids that I didn't give birth to, walk around and act the donkey or Big Guy On The Playground. Honestly, I'm just too old for that and I won't put up with paying for a service where I get treated like crap on it and have no recourse for filtering beyond on/off switches.
Really? I've never had that problem with the kids there; or maybe they do, and i'm just too old to pay them any attention. But i know you can report anyone who's being an ass along with the ignore feature.

HydraMoon

From high atop the treehouse
May 3, 2011
culade said:
Really? I've never had that problem with the kids there; or maybe they do, and i'm just too old to pay them any attention. But i know you can report anyone who's being an ass along with the ignore feature.
It really does sap the fun out of the interactive side when I have to mute, report and block just to enjoy the Home experience. I don't think paying them attention or not has to do with age- I do know my patience has run out for paying to deal with things like that. I'm looking to relax and play some games, not have to run interference. I wish there was some sort of leveling or sorting that could be done- even by interest because I do think Home has so much potential. I think I lack patience for it any more.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Yeah...I still don't like it.

There's nothing interesting to do other than dressing up your avatar with different clothes. And I'm pretty sure the movie Gamer got the idea of the virtual world from there. Sadly, that too made me realize that Home doesn't offer anything new to me.

I wanna like Home. I wanna be there but after being there for a while, I look back and I think: "I spent one hour in there changing clothes, talking to strangers, dancing randomly and stuff when I think I would have had more fun if I had spend that hour shooting stuff or going on a medieval quest. Hell, or maybe even playing Sims 3!"

Also, Sony? Using the term 'hardcore' to compare your customers? Dick move. I'm sorry, I didn't realize that pretending to care about your service made me badass and hxc. That must mean I'm a sissy baby wuss to you. That must also mean it's a miracle I can turn on my PS3 and play a game, durr! So I'm sorry if I'm not in love with Home. I'd like to think it's a matter of opinion and a personal choice. Maybe I should just sell my PS3 since I'm obviously not fit to own one.
Note: That's the impression that I got from that article. It doesn't mean that's what Sony meant. But that's the message that I received.

As a site note/a bit off topic, every single time I try to go to Home and do something, my PS3 kicks me out after a couple of minutes. Don't know if it's my PS3 or Home. It's been like that since the day I got my PS3. So that's also why I don't like Home; I can't even get there!

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Is that what Home looks like? It looks like Second Life, only better textured and with fewer flying penises.