Homefront Development Snatched From Crytek, Given to New Studio - Update

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Ultratwinkie said:
Budgeting had nothing to do with it.

They insulted their fans, abandoned their engine and technology, then tried to peddle COD rip offs to people who already bought COD. Crytek tried to sell out, and no one was buying.

You cannot call your fans a bunch of broke pirate neckbeards. You cannot tell the indies that buy your engine to fuck off. You cannot try to muscle in on a locked down market with no prior experience, no fame, and no fanbase to back you up while selling old and stale ideas.

Crysis 1 was the best selling of its franchise because it innovated. Everything else was pandering corridor shooter garbage no one wanted and done much better by other console shooters made by companies with much more experience and recognition.

Crytek tried to beat activision and lost. They bought into the "PC gaming is dead" years late and missed PC's return to the spotlight. And on top of that, they backed the wrong horse (xbone) so they are now trying to a sell a game no one likes on a platform no one likes. No one should have any sympathy for crytek.
You still going on about that? They made a business choice, no need to take it bloody personal.

Question, could they innovated every game and pumped the graphics further and further up...and still make good money? Their talents were limited and you can only innovate so much until you hit a wall that needs time to be overcome, not to mention the glaring problem that their game is still a shooter in the sea of mud at the end of the day. They also attracted the wrong kind of fans so they were doomed from the start. You're supposed to attract fans you can retent through think or thin, not shrubbery watchers who'll call blasphemy the moment the bushes aren't moving 21% more fluid.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
ah, its falling apart right in front of our eyes and they still claim everythings fine. as much as it hurts me to say - good riddance. Crytek truly earned its bancrupcy.

Rozalia1 said:
Anyway...Crytanic? Is that how you refer to Crytek? Or is calling Crytek satanic-ish?
i think the idea is Crytek Titanic. as in, its sinking.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
josemlopes said:
But to be honest they are also games being made by different devs and with very different promises from the original. The comparison with what Sleeping Dogs was to True Crime (it was at first called True Crime: Hong Kong or something close) is a lot more precise.

All we have to hope is that the final product is good and far away from what the first Homefront was.
What? Both Metro games were developed by 4A Games, Deep Silver only came in late in the development of Last Light after THQ crashed and burned.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
josemlopes said:
But to be honest they are also games being made by different devs and with very different promises from the original. The comparison with what Sleeping Dogs was to True Crime (it was at first called True Crime: Hong Kong or something close) is a lot more precise.

All we have to hope is that the final product is good and far away from what the first Homefront was.
What? Both Metro games were developed by 4A Games, Deep Silver only came in late in the development of Last Light after THQ crashed and burned.
I was talking about Homefront, that is why I then said that Sleeping Dogs was a more fitting comparison since the sequel is very different from the original with a new team but the publisher change midway did kept the same developer of the sequel project.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
I have some exclusive footage straight from Crytek's offices.

In other news, Deep Silver are now doomed, thanks to the Homefront Curse. What is it that companies see in this IP? I played the original, it was a neat concept but certainly nothing revolutionary (pardon the pun)
Because it has potential. If they had some decent writers on the project and some decent effort put into the game, it could be amazing. The perfect example is looking at the single player campaigns for Call of Duty and Battlefield. With the exception of the Bad Company games, Battlefield single player stories have been weak and incredibly boring to even play. CoD on the other hand always ends up being amazing. They forsake realism for immersion and summer action film feel, especially Treyarch ones. There are so many military FPS games that came out that ended up sucking because they tried to jump onto the bandwagon instead of putting more effort into the game to polish it up. Which is why so many just feel hollow and bland.

The first twenty minutes of Homefront was pretty good. But then it quickly went boring and "Fuck yeah, America because....America!" instead of giving us interesting characters and legitimate motivations.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Good, now maybe a competent studio with a decent track record will give it the attention and skill it deserves.

Take a real look at Crytek's history. They are not a studio you want handling any IP that you actually like.

2004: Far Cry 1 (45 and 50 metacritics on ps3/360)
2007-2013: Crysis 1-3 and warhead (the only claim to fame) Famous almost purely due to the graphical demands.

2012: Fibble ? Flick 'n' Roll (what?)
2013: Warface (<60 metacritic on all platforms)
2013: Ryse: Son of Rome (around 60 metacritic and dubbed the Quick Time Event game that doesn't matter what you do you're still going to progress)
2014: The Collectables
2014 (unreleased): The Arena of Fate (free to play garbage)
2014 (Unreleased): Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age

Seriously, let them die (the studio, not the developers). There's no dignity left even. Why people like them is beyond me because aside from 1 IP (which I'm sure other more competent studios could do better) they're garbage. Far Cry which has actually gotten good only did so out of their hands.

Don't let them ruin homefront too. It'd likely just be free to play EA trash.

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
PunkRex said:
A moment, for Free Radical/Crytek UK, if only there was a way to go back in TIME and find a good shooter for them to make...
Ouch! I think they just got buuurned!

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
kiri2tsubasa said:
*sigh*...seems I am one of the few that genuinely liked the game to the point of hoping for a sequel.
What about it specifically did you really like?

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Ultratwinkie said:
Crytek did make it personal.

They cried about how crysis 1 wasn't making COD levels of money. So they called PC gamers pirates.

When they got to consoles, they whined about how they still aren't making huge money. They called console gamers a bunch of pirates too. In fact, the CEO went on record and called console gamers impatient, entitled, and out of touch.

Every single time Crytek fucks up, they put the blame on others. About how its not their fault. How its the world that is conspiring against them.

When consoles were made to their EXACT desires, they still found a reason to ***** about how its not enough and how the world was holding them back from greatness.

The only common denominator in their problems were them. Crytek is the one at fault, not the consumer they hate so much.

Crysis 1 was the best selling in the franchise. It was PC exclusive. They found a fanbase that wanted games catered to PC limitations over consoles using cryengine which was cutting edge at the time. They could have made money from their fanbase and their engine. Crysis 1 did the marketing for it and any indie dev studio would kill for crysis on the cheap.

but they insulted indies too.

Crytek scrapped their engine for a much less advanced one and started peddling bog standard console shooters that do absolutely nothing that other console shooters don't already do better. Their engine was going to be the hot new thing in game development but they had to scrap it because it wasn't "cool."

Right, because if you are making money it must be cool money or it don't count. idiots, I guess big pharma must be broke because its not selling ipads.

Crytek is at fault for everything. It wasn't the world, it wasn't the gamers, it wasn't their "unfaithful" employees, and it wasn't some conspiracy.

and no, innovation does not have a wall. It does not stop with the year. They could have made engines that opened up new ways to expand gaming but they decided to take the lazy route of low effort shooters and a 4 hour long quick time event for 60$.

And before you say shrubbery its was consoles that bankrupted them. Their shrubbery was the best selling shrubbery ever. They abandoned PC gaming in 2008-9, so graphics didnt kill crytek.

They thought console gamers would open their wallets up to low effort COD clones. They were wrong.
Crysis 1 meant they were tarred with the view that all they could do was graphics, when the common man to your own fans think all you can do is shrubbery what way is there to go? You may disagree, but I don't believe they could innovate to such a large level as you said they did with Crysis 1 every year, so they fail and than bam they're "betraying" their "fans". They had the choice of appealing to fickle people, or try to grab a wider more easy audience.

Well I'll say this, the games weren't the problem. I've played Crysis 2 and found its online to be fine, in fact properly one of the FPSs I've had the most on in multiplayer (it helps I was actually pretty damn good at it I suppose).
So whatever you think of Crysis 2 its quality wouldn't have been the reason it failed, unless you think the "hardcore fans" have that large an influence which would be irrelevant they were purposely throwing them away.

Strazdas said:
i think the idea is Crytek Titanic. as in, its sinking.
Oh, yeah that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

Ultratwinkie said:
Far Cry 1 was an OLD PC game, and got 89 on metacritic. It came to consoles 10 years later. On consoles it was a low effort and heavily cut down port years after the fact.
I haven't played Far Cry 1, however I did play instincts over a friends when I was a youngin. So while accurate that it did come 10 years later, you fail to mention that the reason was consoles got their own version in instincts. If instincts wasn't made they would have ported it over (though cut down yes before you say it).

I've not played Far Cry 1 on consoles but looking online...how is it "heavily cut down"? 720 and 30 frames, and pop ins seem to the most common complaints I'm seeing and that isn't "heavily cut down" to me. Heavily cut down would imply they outright took out levels/stages/areas, weapons, characters, enemy types, powers, and the like.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Ultratwinkie said:
Nvidia innovates every year. a lot of companies do. In fact, a lot of their tech is based off Crysis tech. Nvidia did what Crytek could have done.

They could have easily sold their engine to other developers, and gotten the massive cash unreal 4 is getting. But that wasn't cool enough for them.

So now unreal is destroying cryengine, and its all crytek's fault. So now unreal is elevating gaming instead of crytek even when crytek had a huge fucking lead.

They abandoned what they did have for what they could have had. Its like a man quitting his five figure job to try to be a freelance DJ with no prior experience.

You can whine and whine about how gaming is "corrupted" by shrubbery but what Crysis did was a milestone for gaming. All of its advances filtered out into all facets of gaming today. We have physics because of crysis. We have water physics because of crysis. We have efficient foliage because of crysis. We have advanced dynamic lighting because of crysis. It pushed the technology to its limit just like GTA V did for consoles.

Whether you like it or not, what Crysis did was amazing and was good for the industry. Just like Half Life that came before it. Just like XCOM that came before that.

yet when PC pushes boundaries, its suddenly bad. When consoles do the same things that PC did years ago, its suddenly ok.

It also doesn't matter if you found it fun. The game sold like shit. No one bought it. In fact, it struggles to even reach the sales of Crysis 1. It also got lower scores than crysis 1.

Far Cry 1 was cut down for consoles so they can handle it. Do you have any idea how embarrassing it is for next gen consoles (at the time) to not be able to fully handle a 10 year old game? It was a low effort cash grab. They didn't even bother trying.

Far Cry was cut down because far cry was another crysis. It was open world and required you to see long distances. It was meant to showcase their technical ability and by extension improve their reputation in the engine market. It was meant to be big to prove that huge open shooters can work.

so 720p 30 fps and heavy pop in destroys the very reason the game exists. It was meant to be big and rendering everything instead of little bits.

So not only did it fail to fulfill the original goal it had on PC, but it was 10 years too late. The technology had already become standard. It was just a low effort cash grab by lazily porting old games.
Where are those Nvidia games? Surely they'd have the best shrubbery. Anyway I'm not sure they're comparable with each other.

Nope didn't say it was corrupted by shrubbery, just your emphasis on their important was wrong as there are elements much more important. Shrubbery makes a nice frame, the rest is the painting you are actually viewing.

What? Where are you getting this PC bad, console good nonsense from? Where did I ever say such a thing? I think you're letting your views on certain groups dirty your thoughts.

Instincts was a "cutdown" version that ran on the original Xbox. Anyway you are kind of going against yourself there. They put no effort in, yet the hardware is solely to blame and not you know...their no effort. It just doesn't mesh.

I'm sorry but its getting ridiculous now. Have Crytek never created a game? Are they all shrubbery simulators meant to selflessly forward the advancement of graphical effects? Why do you attribute all these grand causes to their videogames?
I suppose Duke Nukem (insert other X game) was also made with the purpose of technical advancement too eh? The purpose of a videogame is to make money, to entertain (to better make money), or for some to simply fill their habit.
Don't think because X feature is created for a game, that the game resolves around it completely.