Homefront Has a 5-Hour Campaign. Sort of.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Homefront Has a 5-Hour Campaign. Sort of.

Yes, Homefront has a short campaign, but only if you're a really good player.

Recently, reports hit the Web that <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Homefront-Xbox-360/dp/B003Q53VZC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299638863&sr=8-1>Homefront's main campaign was only about five hours long, which meant that rumors started to spin out of control and a lot of judgment was being leveled towards the game. Kaos Studios, the game's developer, wasn't too happy about this, and has now gone on record to defend Homefront's campaign length.

Apparently, Kaos's play test sessions showed that some folks were able to grind through the shooter in roughly five hours or so. However, these were "really expert players." For everybody else, the game is about the same length as other, competing, FPS titles.

Kaos Studios General Manager David Votypka spoke to Eurogamer about the campaign: "We've done a lot of focus testing on the game. We've seen really expert players race through it pretty quickly - five hours, a little less. We've seen players take eight to 10 hours to play it. So it's a range, there. It depends who you ask.

"Where there's a lot of game time in the multiplayer, the single-player doesn't tend to be 12, 15, 20 hours long. The Mass Effects, those types of games where it's all about the single-player, then they put all their time and content into that."

So, from the sound of things, the game's single-player story may still be a relatively satisfying experience for those of us who aren't hardcore FPS players. Provided, you know, that the game is actually any good. I guess we'll have to see if the campaign and multiplayer modes add up to a solid overall title when it's released next week.

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-08-kaos-defends-5-hour-homefront-campaign>Eurogamer

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
vansau said:
For everybody else, the game is about the same length as other, competing, FPS titles.
So... About five hours then.

runedeadthA

Feb 18, 2009
Homefront, I'm trying to like you, I really am, but you are making this Really hard for me. If your campaign isn't up to scratch I'm not buying you for MP alone.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
Eh...

No surprise.

Looks like I'll be grinding through it in 3 hours then!

Hahaha, no I'm not that good.

It'll be about 4:01 hours.

nagi

Mar 20, 2009
Frankly, I liked Metro 2033's much longer campaign. Hell, even Bulletstorm was longer than 5 hours and it has a multiplayer. Sort of. Oh, forgot to mention Dead Space 2 and Bad Company 2, the latter of witch has a respectable - if riddled with cheaters - multiplayer.

It is a sad trend that IIRC started with MW. I played the single player, and was confronted with the ending credits at what I hoped to be the first half of the game.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
Isn't Homefront trying to set itself apart from Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, etc. by making their campaign different? What does making it only five hours do to help it?

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
Annnnd, Homefront now = Ignored. As far as I can see, Homefront is shaping up to be like CoD in many aspects. A "Meh" length campaign, and the developers think that having multiplayer excuses it. The only difference here is that Homefront will have North Koreans instead of Russians, and the depiction of war will be grittier and more realistic than my driveway.

Duke Nukem Forever can't come by soon enough.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
a good single player fps campaign should last about 12 hours, Im so sick of fps games wanting to just be one long explosion instead of a journey, half life 2 was a journey and it was awesome

thristhart

Jul 16, 2010
When did we start measuring the quality of a game by the length of its campaign anyway? Portal proved a long time ago that the time it takes to beat it is irrelevant to the value.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
So...its five hours long, but has a steep difficulty curve? For a FPS,that shouldn't be a big deal. Most FPS games can be conquered on reflexes alone.

aldowyn

Mar 1, 2010
I can easily see someone blowing through an FPS in 5 hours, but... this is Homefront. I've heard zip, nada about the multiplayer, and with all this emphasis on story... there's no story. If you can't keep a gamer's attention for longer than an afternoon gaming binge, either your story or your gameplay sucks. Within reason, just one should do the trick. Unless they're crazy multiplayer people, but Homefront isn't focusing on them.

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
I was considering getting this game...but with all the recent crap they've pulled for this stupid game, and now word that campaign will be shorter than even the criminally short MW2, I think I'll wait for this one to hit the bargain bin.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Gxas said:
vansau said:
For everybody else, the game is about the same length as other, competing, FPS titles.
So... About five hours then.
My thoughts exactly. Although, as nagi pointed out above, even other shooters sound like they can surpass Homefront, Dicktits[footnote]Bulletstorm[/footnote] included.

From the beginning I was wary of Homefront and this news is not very shocking to me.

"Homefront is going to be totally different* from any other modern shooter..."

And now I wonder (1) when the map pack will be released and (2) if it will be $10 or $15.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
5-7 hour Campaign???

There went all of my interest in this game, as I'm a firm believer that all games should be able to stand on there singleplayer alone...

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Wow for a campaign that short the Explosion Rate per Second must be huge!

I'll pass kthx, time to start saving for Duke Nukem and Portal 2 (and Persona 4)

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
... Lame. If I didn't preorder this I'd probably pass on it. Seriously, when are we going to get a non-RPG style FPS to get past the 7 hour mark? I'm so sick of these half-assed campaigns to focus on multiplayer that will be plagued with cheaters and campers after a week.

SelectivelyEvil13 said:
"Homefront is going to be totally different* from any other modern shooter..."
Sounds like the line from the demo of Modern Warfare 3 Crysis 2 that said "this isn't your average game experience".

Ajna

Doublethinker
Mar 19, 2009
nagi said:
Dead Space 2 and Bad Company 2, the latter of witch has a respectable - if riddled with cheaters - multiplayer..
Two things:

1) It's "which" not "witch". Just because it's the internet is no reason to get sloppy.

2) What platform are you playing BFBC2 on? Because I'm a 360 player with 187 something hours of playtime, and I've never once encountered somebody cheating/hacking/whatever. I've seen tactics that impressed me, and use of game elements in interesting (if frustrating) ways. Never a cheater. You sure that they aren't just better than you? (It's very common for people to claim that the same person killing them is the result of "cheating". A lot of my friends do it. They get upset when I call them out on it.)

OT: When a multiplayer-focused game comes out, I care more about the multiplayer. I consider the campaign an extended tutorial, to prevent people from getting their ass handed to them right out of the gate online. And if you do that, it tends work as a good barometer for judging campaigns.

Don't get me wrong. I like a good story with my campaign as much as the next guy. And, since I'm a bit of an achievement whore (I care less about gamerscore than about completion percentage, but it still counts), I don't like poorly designed campaigns that make achievements a pain/grind. But I don't mind if the campaign is short. I just care if it's bad.

In other words, what this guy said:

thristhart said:
When did we start measuring the quality of a game by the length of its campaign anyway? Portal proved a long time ago that the time it takes to beat it is irrelevant to the value.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I'm really interested in Homefront, but this isn't helping. If they want to be differentiated with Modern Warfare, they're going to have to pull innovations out the wazoo and that certainly isn't happening at this point in time.

I may pick this up if I get the chance (and/or money), but I'll most likely have to skip this.