Homefront The Revolution Hands-on - Fulfilling the Promise of Guerrilla Warfare

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Homefront The Revolution Hands-on - Fulfilling the Promise of Guerrilla Warfare

A new backstory, an open world, homebrew weapons, and thoughtful tactics are the pillars upon which Deep Silver Dambuster's vision of Homefront rests.

Read Full Article

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
What they showed now didnt seem as interesting, a year ago or something they showed some clips that had the player do more of the planning.

So yeah, if it does make the player feel like a guerrilla then cool, if its just another Homefront 1 where you are basicly part of a special forces team then meh.

Also these guys cant catch a break after Haze.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Holy shit this game isn't dead?

Holy shit it sounds kind of good?

This is certainly surprising :p

If the preview doesn't lie, and it's a difficult open world FPS about actually being a resistance fighter, then this could be very interesting indeed. A bit strange that the former TimeSplitters devs are working on it, but then again, Deep Silver did help publish Metro Last Light which itself is an outlier amongst FPS games.

Then again, perhaps I'm being too optimistic and this will instead turn out to be Dying Light: North Korea Edition.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm glad this is still happening. I really enjoyed the story of the first game. It's shooting wasn't bad, but nothing extraordinary either. It felt like a COD game with a different premise. I am looking forward to playing this. The premise is completely ridiculous still, but it strikes the right kind of emotional chord for me.

Aug 1, 2010
Look, this all looks great. Really, it does. Red Dawn is one of my favorite movies ever, this gameplay seems solid and I like the idea of a revolutionary-type game where you actually have to be sneaky and careful as opposed to the Red Faction Guerrilla mindset of smacking the occupiers with a hammer until they cry for daddy.

BUT.

And as Yahtzee once said, it's a big stinky butt...

North. Fucking. Korea.

That will never be plausible, never be taken seriously, and never stop being such a funny idea that it completely undermines everything the game is trying to do. I get that the devs want to tread lightly and that NK is basically the only non-middle eastern villain the world has left, but just make something up for fucks sake. China was overthrown by radicals, got renamed and invaded. Russia was taken over by the Illuminati and attacked. Anything.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
This setting is just too moronic. "Taken over by communists" has been a dead theme since over 20 years, get a grip. Especially if it's freaking North Korea taking you over.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Charcharo said:
The entire premise of the game is too moronically stupid for me to take seriously...

I guess... like the version of the Western theater the US seems to believe (Hurr durr Tigers so powerful Shermans so not powerful, reverse propaganda to appear an underdog and more heroic) this is more of the same?
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
Look, this all looks great. Really, it does. Red Dawn is one of my favorite movies ever, this gameplay seems solid and I like the idea of a revolutionary-type game where you actually have to be sneaky and careful as opposed to the Red Faction Guerrilla mindset of smacking the occupiers with a hammer until they cry for daddy.

BUT.

North. Fucking. Korea.

That will never be plausible, never be taken seriously, and never stop being such a funny idea that it completely undermines everything the game is trying to do. I get that the devs want to tread lightly and that NK is basically the only non-middle eastern villain the world has left, but just make something up for fucks sake. China was overthrown by radicals, got renamed and invaded. Russia was taken over by the Illuminati and attacked. Anything.
Fdzzaigl said:
This setting is just too moronic. "Taken over by communists" has been a dead theme since over 20 years, get a grip. Especially if it's freaking North Korea taking you over.
Really? Thats a problem for you guys? Its a game just like Wolfenstein has cyborgs and mummies, just like Metal Gear has mech during the 70's, just like a load of other games (and movies, and books) are simply something heve something extraordinary to make it unique.

This isnt a documentary, of all things about this game this is the least of my problems. It could even be the mexican cartels taking over the USA.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
It still irks me after all these years that nobody paid attention to the intro cutscene, which explained that North Korea was basically the same landmass with the same resources to pull from as WW2 Imperial Japan.

Granted it wasn't the most engaging of introductions, but come on people.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
That sounds a lot like it might be taking a few cues from The Saboteur, and that is a good thing.

Also, take it away Harry Dean Stanton. AVENGE ME BOYS! AVVVEEEENGE MEEEEE!

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Wait, this is a sequel to homefront?

THQ homefront?

I admit to only following the happenings at the time with half interest, but wasn't the under-performance of homefront one of the many factors that contributed to the company's demise?

seems a strange franchise to resurrect... especially since the new one seems fairly cookie cutter as far as military FPS goes.

deathmothon

Nov 30, 2013
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:

BUT.

North. Fucking. Korea.

Not even naive teens can buy this storyline as plausible. I'm really disappointed they didn't change the concept.

Foehunter82

Jun 25, 2014
josemlopes said:
Really? Thats a problem for you guys? Its a game just like Wolfenstein has cyborgs and mummies, just like Metal Gear has mech during the 70's, just like a load of other games (and movies, and books) are simply something heve something extraordinary to make it unique.

This isnt a documentary, of all things about this game this is the least of my problems. It could even be the mexican cartels taking over the USA.
America being taken over by cartels would actually be somewhat plausible. But North Korea? Not going to happen without the help of a country with more potency, like Russia or China.

balladbird said:
Wait, this is a sequel to homefront?

THQ homefront?

I admit to only following the happenings at the time with half interest, but wasn't the under-performance of homefront one of the many factors that contributed to the company's demise?

seems a strange franchise to resurrect... especially since the new one seems fairly cookie cutter as far as military FPS goes.
The new one seems that way? Hell, the old one actually WAS that way. Frankly, the worst of all Call of Duty games are more interesting than the first Homefront. One of the most absurd parts of Homefront was a forced "walk around the resistance camp to get to know people that you won't have time to grow to give a shit about before we march you through the next two missions." I never finished it because it was so bad. I spent most of the time wanting to kill the Sergeant because he'd constantly go berserk and give away our position.

I'm shocked Homefront ever got a sequel. If they're serious about doing the whole "resistance vs. invading force" routine, they need to go back to the original Operation Flashpoint (otherwise known as Arma: Cold War Crisis), and learn some things from the resistance campaign. Something like Homefront needs a military-survival makeover. Acquiring weapons and gear, vehicles, scrounging for ammunition and medical supplies, gathering food, infiltrating different locations to help liberate people (maybe involving a crowd-blending mechanic and/or weapon-hiding mechanic). Something like that would be interesting. As it stands, the Homefront franchise (since it's being turned into one) consists of nothing more than a sub-par yet standard FPS, and what looks like it may be more of the same.

TornadoADV

Cobra King
Apr 10, 2009
This is still around? The only thing the first one had was a decent setting even though they balked at staying with China and switched to the Norks part way through development. Even though this is a reboot, if I read correctly, it's still forcing me to believe that the Norks waltzed across the third largest country in the world to seize our capital on the other side of the continent. At least the first one maintained some semblance of logic with a McGuffin EMP strike over the US mainland, turning the Mississippi into a caustic soup of death and still only barely managing to subdue the western seaboard.

This should of been snuffed in the crib when THQ crashed and burned.

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Baresark said:
I'm glad this is still happening. I really enjoyed the story of the first game. It's shooting wasn't bad, but nothing extraordinary either. It felt like a COD game with a different premise. I am looking forward to playing this. The premise is completely ridiculous still, but it strikes the right kind of emotional chord for me.
Your description of the first Homefront is precisely how I felt about it. Gameplay-wise, I think I'll be more into the slower, more strategic, less linear world, but that's just about my personal preferences.