Homeless charities and the red cross all suck

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Zeckt said:
I try to block them from my mind as it's a situation I never, ever want to be in again or even be reminded of them. I seriously doubt they will ever respond to such an email as they have nothing to say to you because they have plenty of desperate people coming to them in person.
" out of sight, out of mind" doesn't really help the situation, nor does it increase the chances of it being better should you ever find yourself in their shoes. Of course they aren't going to respond to an email. They are being forced to turn people away that have been on the streets for weeks that are standing there looking them in the eyes because they have no more room, and the law will not allow them to take anymore in. If the fire marshal comes out and they are over capacity and not up to fire code, they can shut their doors and throw everyone in there back on the streets. I really don't think people realize how serious a problem this really is.

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
Lil devils x said:
I don't think you understand how these things work.

First Red Cross is a medical disaster charity, not a homeless program. They show up to scenes of disaster and provide medical assistance to those who need it on scene. For example, when my apartment building burned down, they arrived within minutes after the firetrucks. They provided water, blankets, and oxygen on scene to any who needed it.

As for Homeless shelters, I actually have volunteered at a few. Before you cast a judgement on a homeless shelter, I propose you do the same. First, the biggest problem with Homeless shelters is they are extremely underfunded and they help on a first come first serve basis, on a "who is in the greatest need" and generally they help families with children first. Yes, they will actually make a single person leave to make room for a family with children. Basically it works like this, they take people until they reach firecode capacity. Once they reach firecode capacity they have to turn people away. The law forces them to do this. They usually try to give them other resources and information where they might go, but if they are already aware that all shelters are beyond capacity( which is usually the case) they can provide a blanket, and possible a box if they have blankets and boxes available and tell them to try and keep safe. That isn't because they don't care, that is because they do not have any more space or resources available. I would not expect a homeless shelter to respond to an email, because the truth is, if you have somewhere that has a roof over it and internet access, you are in a much better position trying to stay there than you are trying to come to a shelter. If you have internet access from anywhere, you are better off than 99% of the people coming into the shelter. If you have phone access, you are better off than 99% of the people coming into the shelter. The shelter is a last resort, and do not expect to get help from one unless you go in person. Even sleeping in that persons back yard is BETTER than a shelter. Shelters are not fun places to go, they also have to try to screen you to try and reduce crime at the shelters and protect the people there. That is if you can even find a homeless shelter. The lack of funding is why we also have tent cities popping up everywhere. The few that are actually able to keep their doors open have so many people trying to get in them, there is no possible way to help them all. Most shelters have a waiting list, even for families because they already are full of families, and have to force out families who have had a roof over their head longer than those who have been waiting in the streets.

Before casting judgement on these organizations, you should try to volunteer for them and see first hand where your money is going.
Thank you.

I work for a nonprofit. I've worked at other nonprofits before, volunteered for others, and worked in close contact with family shelters specifically. The problem isn't that they ignore people unless they're giving money. The problem is that there is so much need, and they are oftentimes so underfunded (especially the smaller ones) that they're overwhelmed with the need that's out there.

The nonprofit community - at least the individuals I've come in contact with - are both idealistic and practical. An email from a supposedly homeless person might have been ignored... because they're busy dealing with the people who don't even have enough to access the internet. Or they might have figured out it was a scam from something in the wording or the source (most of us are fairly intelligent people). By sending a fake email, OP, you realize that you took some of the time of someone working at that charity - time that could have been spent helping someone really in need - in order to have them read a fake email?

The people on the street aren't always a good way to judge a nonprofit. Sometimes, they're volunteers, occasionally even volunteers that have never worked with the organization before and don't know much more than what they've been told to do. Talk to the people that work there. Then you'll get a taste of what it's like. And if all else fails, there are several well-respected sites that evaluate charities. Take a look at those.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Lil devils x said:
Thank god for you, buddy, I was starting to think the escapist was full of people so cynical they had no good thing to say even about charities. I mean a couple probably aren't great or effective, but come on.

Comocat

May 24, 2012
I'm confused by what you are trying to prove. You showed up to the red cross, and international disaster response organization and went "lulz im homeless how 'bout some help" and are somehow surprised your clever ruse failed? I'm going to guess the issue likes more on the executor of such a devious plan than the hapless victim.

This might be a better metric to evaluate a charity than off the street shenanigans.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3277

Bolwing

Mar 5, 2012
Vilealbaniandwarf said:
Charities are like a cancer. The more you feed them the more they grow.

Take a look at Oxfam some time. District managers get a big wage and a company car. They even get people in to give the VOLUNTEERS prep talks on upselling.
Your avatar makes your post look quite comical.
OT: Nearly every TV channel in my country has a charity of some kind. Judging by the frequency and diversity of the ads for said charities, I guess it's safe to assume that most of the profits go to promoting the damn things.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Vilealbaniandwarf said:
Charities are like a cancer. The more you feed them the more they grow.
Which is probably the worst analogy possible since you don't feed cancer. And regardless, it's just silly because while it's probably supposed to be contemptuous it actually isn't at all, in fact feeding = growth sounds more like a rather positive statement.

bat32391

Oct 19, 2011
Lil devils x said:
Tom_green_day said:
It seems to me that they offer short-term support but do not attempt to solve the problem itself, by creating permanent residence for the homeless people, however small, or helping stop being being homeless in the first place.
Talking of charities, I support Greenpeace because you know they try to make a difference. The posts on the internet and social sites, the stuff they send to you, the fact they get in the news frequently for making a stand. It's not one big charity but lots of groups uniting under one banner.
The programs that are offering permanant housing are extremely underfunded as well and lack both funds, and volunteers. They do exist, but the waiting list is extreme.
Programs such as this :
http://www.rockwallhabitat.org/

Do exist, the issue is the problem is bigger than the manpower and funding can handle.
Wait, was that charity a random one that depends on where you are, or did you just randomly choose Rockwall, Texas?

OT: I'm typically careful when it comes to giving money to charities, I usually just do some research if they're worthwhile. Never had any issue since I started doing that.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
bat32391 said:
Lil devils x said:
Tom_green_day said:
It seems to me that they offer short-term support but do not attempt to solve the problem itself, by creating permanent residence for the homeless people, however small, or helping stop being being homeless in the first place.
Talking of charities, I support Greenpeace because you know they try to make a difference. The posts on the internet and social sites, the stuff they send to you, the fact they get in the news frequently for making a stand. It's not one big charity but lots of groups uniting under one banner.
The programs that are offering permanant housing are extremely underfunded as well and lack both funds, and volunteers. They do exist, but the waiting list is extreme.
Programs such as this :

Do exist, the issue is the problem is bigger than the manpower and funding can handle.
Wait, was that charity a random one that depends on where you are, or did you just randomly choose Rockwall, Texas?

OT: I'm typically careful when it comes to giving money to charities, I usually just do some research if they're worthwhile. Never had any issue since I started doing that.
I chose Rockwall Texas, because that is where I live, and I have volunteered with these guys and think they are awesome. Rockwall is just one branch of many. It was only my intention to show that people are doing these things, and this organization is not just limited to my area, you can help people where you live as well. I have seen what this organization does first hand to get low income families into good, safe homes and how much their lives are changed by these actions.
Here is the main site:
http://www.habitat.org/
Although I am not sure if they are available in all countries, you can put in your zip code to see how you can help people where you live.

bat32391

Oct 19, 2011
Lil devils x said:
bat32391 said:
Lil devils x said:
Tom_green_day said:
Programs such as this :

I chose Rockwall Texas, because that is where I live, and I have volunteered with these guys and think they are awesome. Rockwall is just one branch of many. It was only my intention to show that people are doing these things, and this organization is not just limited to my area, you can help people where you live as well. I have seen what this organization does first hand to get low income families into good, safe homes and how much their lives are changed by these actions.
Here is the main site:
Although I am not sure if they are available in all countries, you can put in your zip code to see how you can help people where you live.
I was asking because I actually live in Rockwall too and thought that was too crazy of a coincidence to be true. So, I may to go give that one a look.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
bat32391 said:
Lil devils x said:
bat32391 said:
Lil devils x said:
Tom_green_day said:
Programs such as this :

Here is the main site:
I was asking because I actually live in Rockwall too and thought that was too crazy of a coincidence to be true. So, I may to go give that one a look.
!!! LOL! Here we are in the smallest county in the state of Texas and are talking on an international gaming site. Too funny!@ Reminds me of when I was camping out in the woods in Broken Bow, OK and ran into my friends mom in the bathroom in the woods. Are you a Yellowjacket or a Hawk?

bat32391

Oct 19, 2011
Lil devils x said:
bat32391 said:
Lil devils x said:
bat32391 said:
Lil devils x said:
Tom_green_day said:
Programs such as this :

Here is the main site:
!!! LOL! Here we are in the smallest county in the state of Texas and are talking on an international gaming site. Too funny!@ Reminds me of when I was camping out in the woods in Broken Bow, OK and ran into my friends mom in the bathroom in the woods. Are you a Yellowjacket or a Hawk?
Damn this is weird, I'm a yellowjacket almost done with my junior year now.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
bat32391 said:
Lil devils x said:
bat32391 said:
Lil devils x said:
bat32391 said:
Lil devils x said:
Tom_green_day said:
Programs such as this :

Here is the main site:
Graduated YellowJacket, but have moved back here into Hawk territory now after college. It IS a small world!

EDIT: Though, I still have my orange and white Pom Poms! LMAO

bat32391

Oct 19, 2011
Lil devils x said:
bat32391 said:
Lil devils x said:
bat32391 said:
Lil devils x said:
bat32391 said:
Lil devils x said:
Tom_green_day said:
Programs such as this :

Here is the main site:
Graduated YellowJacket, but have moved back here into Hawk territory now after college. It IS a small world!

EDIT: Though, I still have my orange and white Pom Poms! LMAO
Lol, it certainly is isn't it.

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
SsilverR said:
The funniest parts were when I sent each charity 2 different e-mails ... 1. asking for help as a homeless person, 2. asking to donate

I've not heard back from any of them as a homeless dude (been 5 days) but the "can I donate" e-mails were replied almost instantly ROTFL
Do you seriously think that this was a valid "experiment". Just think about it. If I'm working for a charity and get an email saying "I'm homeless, give me stuff" I'd probably laugh and ignore it because I would think it's a scam and I'm fairly certain just about everyone else would too.

OT: There are some I don't agree with and it's not so much their cause or anything it's just because they can't seem to realise that if I have headphones in I am not interested in talking to anyone (I'm looking at you Amnesty International). It could also be different in different countries because I have never heard of any issues with charities in Australia.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
All i want to know , is why is it , every person that is on the street trying to get donation for their charity ( at least that iv'e seen ) , is a white guy ( sometimes girl ) with dreadlocks , and a questionable sense of style ( hippy is the closest i can think of )? I mean , is it too much to ask , that these people wear something normal when trying to convince the general population to help their cause or charity . Dress properly , and MAYBE , i'll listen to what you have to say , as it stands i wouldn't trust you with my pennies .

Niflhel

Sep 25, 2010
krazykidd said:
All i want to know , is why is it , every person that is on the street trying to get donation for their charity ( at least that iv'e seen ) , is a white guy ( sometimes girl ) with dreadlocks , and a questionable sense of style ( hippy is the closest i can think of )? I mean , is it too much to ask , that these people wear something normal when trying to convince the general population to help their cause or charity . Dress properly , and MAYBE , i'll listen to what you have to say , as it stands i wouldn't trust you with my pennies .
I agree. The fashion of the volunteers trying to get donations for their charity is choice, is the only thing that matters when I decide whether or not to donate, the cause doesn't matter. And dressing like hippies is bad, since hippies are probably socialists, and we all know that socialist just spends all their money on weed (That's what socialists do, really). If they'd just wear a suit instead, it would be so much better! Because suits are what bankers wear, and we all know how trustable bankers are

In fact, I think it'd be a great idea if charities gave each volunteer a tailored suit. That's money well spent, improving their image and all. After that, I think the charities perhaps should start lending out money...

Of course, that was all sarcasm. Volunteers are mostly made up of young, idealistic folks who tend to be rather anti-materialistic. They wear clothing you can buy cheap in thrift stores (Giving you the whole 'hippie look'), so they can donate more money to charities.
If you truly care about what clothing the volunteer wears, and their clothing is your main concern when it comes to if you should listen to what they have to talk about, I can tell you straight, you're not a part of the target group of charities.
They're looking for people who are willing to give up some money to try and make the world a better place for us all, not fashion nazis who decides the value of your cause by the cloth you're wearing.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
krazykidd said:
I can pretty much agree with that, most volunteers are awful representation because they seem to be idealistic and rather anti-gouvernment while not really informed more than necessary. I actually once took the time and listened to a whole script, then presented counter-arguments... it went badly for them.

I think it's because these volunteers are basically protesters and the kind of people that like to protest the most are young leftists.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Quaxar said:
krazykidd said:
I can pretty much agree with that, most volunteers are awful representation because they seem to be idealistic and rather anti-gouvernment while not really informed more than necessary. I actually once took the time and listened to a whole script, then presented counter-arguments... it went badly for them.

I think it's because these volunteers are basically protesters and the kind of people that like to protest the most are young leftists.
The volunteers who are out soliciting donations are usually the ones who are not as qualified for other tasks. It does not take much skill to go door to door asking if they have any canned goods for the food pantry, however, it does take more skill to provide actual care, and do the paperwork involved, thus those volunteers that are highly skilled are put to work doing other things that require skill and responsibility to do so.

Keep in mind, that all of these people are volunteers, they are doing this for free, not being paid, they dress with whatever they have, and often what little extra money they do have is spent actually helping others rather than on their attire. I certainly would not want the charities blowing what little money they have on presentable uniforms, instead they should use it to help those who are in need.

That is like saying:

" oh look at the girl with the holes in her jeans! I can't help her because she looks unsightly!" Completely disregarding the fact that she is out in the freezing cold working her ass off for free to help build a homeless family a house.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Lil devils x said:
Quaxar said:
krazykidd said:

The volunteers who are out soliciting donations are usually the ones who are not as qualified for other tasks. It does not take much skill to go door to door asking if they have any canned goods for the food pantry, however, it does take more skill to provide actual care, and do the paperwork involved, thus those volunteers that are highly skilled are put to work doing other things that require skill and responsibility to do so.

Keep in mind, that all of these people are volunteers, they are doing this for free, not being paid, they dress with whatever they have, and often what little extra money they do have is spent actually helping others rather than on their attire. I certainly would not want the charities blowing what little money they have on presentable uniforms, instead they should use it to help those who are in need.

That is like saying:

" oh look at the girl with the holes in her jeans! I can't help her because she looks unsightly! Completely disregarding the fact that she is out in the freezing cold working her ass off for free to help build a homeless family a house.
I might have been a bit unclear, I wasn't talking about collecting one-time donations door to door, although I have a beef with some door-to-door collectors as well, but for different reasons. In my specific example I was approached in a public place about signing a petition to the gouvernment, which is where I would expect the person trying to get my agreement to be informed about the cause they're pitching, either by the organisation that wants those signatures or by themselves if they are passionate about that subject.

Appearance is a minor thing personally (although that specific person I couldn't even discern their gender, which is kinda irritating), but being uninformed about your topic if it's not in the script is something I can't understand.
And also you can't really ignore that the general public is far more likely to side with a well-dressed, well-spoken person than dread-locked teens with more metal in their faces than the man with the iron mask. Regardless of knowledge, etc. if a person came up to you and asked you for your name and e-mail address on the street you'd probably rather give it to the girl in regular clothes than the guy in ruined pants and dirty shirt with the mohawk.