Homework

creonto

Feb 16, 2011
I had a very long well planned out essay-type thing for this but it was deleted so i am simply going to ask this: How is the amount of homework given (about 3-4 hours per night for me) useful? is there truly any evidence to suggest that this absurd amount of homework is helpful to a students learning, or is it simply a way for teachers who are lazy or do not want to try and rein in a class to shirk off the responsibility and place it on the student?
I do not want to abolish homework I simply want to try and convince people that perhaps they should not assign such ridiculous amounts. Please give me your thoughts.

Dracowrath

Jul 7, 2011
My opinion was always that homework is just silly, and any teacher who cannot teach the coursework without assigning homework has failed their job.

AlAaraaf74

Dec 11, 2010
I agree with you completely. I don't mind homework, but more then a couple hours is just rediculous. Especially if you also add studying for any tests. I'm lucky, though, because I usually don't get a lot of homework and I get most of it done in study periods and class.

But, one day, I was assigned a paper, a poster project w/ response paper, 6 pages of a review packet, and an three online quizes in one day. That was the worst for me, because all of them could only be done at home.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
I always thought that getting a lot of homework was counter productive because it forces you to use a lot of your short term memory and will make you forget about the stuff you learned earlier faster. But what the hell do I know right, this is just my opinion and it's most likely wrong but I don't even want to think of how much homework I'm gonna get this year.

The Afrodactyl

Jul 19, 2010
Klumpfot said:
I hardly did any homework, and now I'm a docker.

Do your homework, kid!
I didn't do my homework, and now I'm a soldier.

Don't do your homework, kid!

(In all honesty though, I was an A student that dropped out to become a soldier. Do your homework, kid; it can't exactly hurt, can it?)

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
creonto said:
I had a very long well planned out essay-type thing for this but it was deleted so i am simply going to ask this: How is the amount of homework given (about 3-4 hours per night for me) useful? is there truly any evidence to suggest that this absurd amount of homework is helpful to a students learning, or is it simply a way for teachers who are lazy or do not want to try and rein in a class to shirk off the responsibility and place it on the student?
I do not want to abolish homework I simply want to try and convince people that perhaps they should not assign such ridiculous amounts. Please give me your thoughts.
Homework is good, up to a certain level. You need to learn HOW to learn by yourself.
You must learn how to educate yourself, and a part (HOPEFULLY) of your school education is to teach you how to study by yourself.

the Dept of Science

Nov 9, 2009
creonto said:
Don't call teachers lazy. You do realise that the teachers have to mark all those essays, right?
Do you see the irony of calling teachers lazy when this post is pretty much "man, writing these essays is BORING. I wish I didn't have to do all this work."

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
If I were you, I would just get used to it. You will only be disappointed in higher education if you don't. Outside of high school learning is broken up into 'lectures' and either 'labs' or 'essays'. You only learn the concepts by listening to your teacher. You then have to put that knowledge into practice if you actually want anything to stick to any useful degree. Perhaps there is too much homework being put on high school kids, but who am i to say how much is too much? If you have four classes in one day it is not unreasonable to have an hour of homework for each (4 hours total) in my eyes. It's just going to get worse anyway. Unless you want retire on all your sweet sweet McDonalds manager money, you should just get used to it now.

Calling teachers 'lazy' is ridiculous to the point of frightening. The more homework they give you the more marking they have to do. To say they are shirking their responsibilities by giving you homework is laughable. It is not the teachers responsibility to force you to learn anything. You have a responsibility to yourself to study and learn this stuff.

I have teachers in my family and let me tell you that the amount of work they do is unbelievable. When do you suppose they mark papers or develop lesson plans? After school of course. After they have finished a full 8 hour day dealing with entitled kids who think they are lazy for expecting them to do homework, they go home and continue to make sure your ass gets educated for the rest of the night when they could be spending time with their families. Education is a privilege, you realize that right?

The teacher responsibility ends after they taught you. If you don't care to study or practice, don't blame them when you can't pass a test.

Drenaje1

Aug 6, 2011
I hardly ever cared about the homework being given out, so long as it wasn't, well, ridiculous. My old English teacher I completely and utterly hated because of the homework that she handed out. I decided upon the course of 'Oh well' *crumples up homework and throws in trash*. I was happy with my D, thank you. Didn't really have that problem in other classes though. Oh, but now it's going to be high school, and it matters, so I have no choice other than to do it. Meh.

I mean, sure, you have to prove that you can actually do the things being taught to you, but it should only really take a few minutes to complete. I'm not going to spend an hour sifting through a packet of homework, I'm going to breeze through a single page of it in 15 minutes and then get back to the funner side of being a teenager.

randomsix

Apr 20, 2009
Homework at what I assume is your level helps you memorize the basics for whatever field of study you continue on to do afterward. And it also helps build the mental connections which will allow you to solve more complex problems.

Though, in my opinion, the only good homework problem is one which you don't immediately know how to solve.

As was said by a wise man, the only way to get better at solving physics problems is to solve physics problems.

darkfire613

Jun 26, 2009
What bothers me most is when teachers assign homework and they each say "it's not much, it's only one hour of work." Yeah, but when I have five or six classes each giving "only one hour of work," it starts to add the fuck up.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I didn't think about this until after high school but consider the teacher. The teachers from my high school had classes of 20 - 35 students. As bad as 3 hours of homework is for you, imagine all the time it will take the teacher to go through. Just stick it out, you'll be done with school eventually and even if you don't do your homework there's always tests and quizzes to kep things nice and balanced.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
creonto said:
AP classes or private school?

I'd say the problem (if there really is one) has more to do with the nature of your homework than the amount; in other words, without more information, I really can't answer this except to generalize. If it's algebra and you have to do a lot more equations, then you'll grasp the concept better and have more practice under your belt (horrible metaphor, by the way. I don't have any practice next to my penis), therefore you will be significantly better at it. If it's reading comprehension and critical thinking, then it's arguably even more important (unless perhaps you want to be a physicist or an engineer); context clues allow you to figure out just what in the Hell people are talking about, and if you haven't already, you will meet a metric shit-ton of strange people in the workplace. It'd be nice to communicate through something other than references to The Office, no? This also makes it easier to skim past extraneous passages in shitty writing (and the majority of the populace, and by extension the workforce, are not authors of any sort) and get to the important stuff faster, which will prove at least occasionally important in just about any job you will ever have.

creonto

Feb 16, 2011
the Dept of Science said:
Don't call teachers lazy. You do realise that the teachers have to mark all those essays, right?
Do you see the irony of calling teachers lazy when this post is pretty much "man, writing these essays is BORING. I wish I didn't have to do all this work."
my english teacher put all of two marks on each of my papers. and all of my friend's papers while we all got different grades

the spud

May 2, 2011
There was this one kid in my algebra class, who, after not doing his homework for the second time that week, had the worst excuse ever. "Yeah, it was raining outside, and I got really tired and had to take a nap. You can't expect me to do homework while I am sleepy, do you?.

Harlief

Jul 8, 2009
It's through practice and repetition that we learn best. Homework is about going back over what you learned that day to concrete it into your memory.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I had a teacher who taught me both English AND Social studies, and he believed that homework was dumb. Thus, I never hated homework, as I barely had any.

I don't think I can offer a valid opinion in your eyes.