Homeworld Goes Hi-Res in New Remastered Screens

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Ihateregistering1 said:
StewShearer said:
Fdzzaigl said:
StewShearer said:
I really loved the whole "small mining clan versus the evil alien force" story of Cataclysm, but there some elements of it that kept me from fully loving it.

Namely, I hated how it gimped fighters. In the original Homeworld, mass drivers and other smaller weapons weren't perfectly accurate. As a result you could send in a squadron of strike craft against a larger more powerful ship and have them conceivably win. In Cataclysm, they changed it so that most small arms fire had homing qualities. In other words, if you sent fighters in on an attack mission you were guaranteed to lose a good portion (if not all of them).

Certainly not a game ruiner, but I loved using fighters.
I sort of disagree with this assessment tbh. It's true that Cataclysm nerfed fighters, but I distinctly remember using tons of Acolyte class fighters linked together to form corvettes with great success.

Some fighters in the original Homeworld were too powerful imo. Like heavy corvettes being sort of the end-all solution to many things if you got a ton of them.
I'd say you could use them with limited success. Linking them into corvettes allowed you to EMP cap ships. You could then have them separate back into single fighters and launch their missiles which could eat a sizable chunk of even a larger ships health. That said, when you were still better off in most cases just committing the unit points it cost to build those fighters into a larger more powerful vessel.

It's probably just a matter of taste on my end. I liked how powerful the fighters were in the original HW. It allowed for some interesting strategies outside of just "build the biggest ship and murder" everything. And none of this should suggest that I disliked Cataclysm. It was actually my first HW game and I was really disappointed that the Remastered edition won't include it. Stupid IP issues.
Cataclysm won for me on a few things:
-Although I thought HW had the better story, I thought the missions were more well designed in Cataclysm. There was usually a greater sense of urgency to them, and a sense of "if we die here, the entire universe is screwed".

-The Beast was (were?) AWESOME. Seriously, I remember playing as them in a multiplayer game one time, and my roommate overheard their creepy as hell voice-overs: "parts are now oursssss", "parts are hurting us!", etc. He asked me to put headphones on because it was creeping him out too much. The Beast made the Zerg seem like teddy-bears.

-I actually thought Fighters were better in Cataclysm, mostly because they removed the (in my opinion) ridiculously overpowered missile frigates, which tore through fighters like a shotgun through tissue.
Definitely agree on the first and second points. While I adore the overarching epicness of the original Homeworld, Cataclysm definitely rocked that sense of urgency and "if we don't stop them here we're screwed." The missions were also frequently really cool. I loved that one, for instance, where you have to sneak your fleet through that nebula and avoid the Taidan forces hiding there. I'd often screw it up on purpose just to see how long I could hold them off once they started swarming my fleet.

The Beast were also an excellent enemy. They had so much character and were executed so wonderfully.

Lol, my complaints aside, I might have to replay Cataclysm....

eBusiness

Sep 19, 2012
TheArcaneThinker said:
My favorite space game is sins of a solar empire rebellion . Is homeworld better than that ?
You can't compare it to Sins, both are space strategy games, and that is about as far as the similarities go. 15 years later I'm still not sure what game one should compare Homeworld to. We somehow haven't been swamped with clones of the game, so unlike a lot of other good last-millennium games you won't find it to be a lesser version of a newer game that you already played.

The awesome graphics ain't going to awe like they literally did back then, but it is still a great game.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Rawbeard said:
I am still not convinced Gearbox is capable of getting anything but Borderlands right and the remastered cutscene's change in artstyle is worrysome to me.
But... but... 007 Nightfire!

OT: It looks decent. I don't know though, it seems that they mostly specialize in FPS. Who knows though? Maybe it'll be good. It's always interesting to see devs branch out.

EXos

Nov 24, 2009
I can't wait for them... HW2 was extremely heavy on the hardware and needed some better resolution support.
And seeing as a lot of the old team got card Blanche to improve it I think this will be a nice addition to my steam Library. ^^

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
eBusiness said:
TheArcaneThinker said:
My favorite space game is sins of a solar empire rebellion . Is homeworld better than that ?
You can't compare it to Sins, both are space strategy games, and that is about as far as the similarities go. 15 years later I'm still not sure what game one should compare Homeworld to. We somehow haven't been swamped with clones of the game, so unlike a lot of other good last-millennium games you won't find it to be a lesser version of a newer game that you already played.

The awesome graphics ain't going to awe like they literally did back then, but it is still a great game.
There honestly hasn't really been a game like Homeworld (except HW 2) except (from what people have told me) a game called "Nexus: The Jupiter Incident".

I haven't played it but a lot of people have said it's pretty darn good, and is actually more complex than Homeworld in terms of orders you can give your units. You can also have boarding parties that raid enemy ships and (I think) take them over. I think it's on GOG if you wanna give it a shot.