Homophobia in a university newspaper, as well as other things!?

Apr 5, 2008
Mildly amusing and isn't itself a homophobic cartoon. It's a cartoon about a homophobic parent. I frankly don't really care very much any more about this stuff. Someone somewhere will be offended. It's not possible to be funny any more without offending someone. If it offends you, fine, don't read it.

Here's the thing, there are millions of bigots in the world. Movies, games, songs, TV shows, art and comics, etc in part reflect some aspect of "the human condition"; they have to to be relevant to us, the consuming audience. Portraying a bigot in art is IMO absolutely acceptable when it is to tell the story like in this strip.

I would hope that the artist, with good taste, would likely not portray the characteristics in a favourable light, which would then possibly trespass on the grounds bordering hate speech. But being able to portray bigots of any sort, religious figures, politicians and what have you, for the purpose of satire, entertainment or simply expression is absolutely acceptable.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
It's a bad wordjoke, what's the big fuckin deal! Is anyone offended? Great, those who are offended, notch your opinion of the newspaper down a bit and move on! The newspaper made fun of gays. But here's the thing: Nothing is sacred. People make fun of everything that is important. Politics, religions, entertainment, and sexuality! By getting so upset by someone making a slightly offensive joke, you're singling yourself out. You're saying 'no the normal rules don't apply to my sexuality', which is exactly the opposite of what we're trying to achieve! Which is of course, equality.

Maybe it's because I have never suffered from homophobia due to me being hetero, but I have gay friends who share my opinion.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
I...don't really see how this is homophobic? It may be crossing a line somewhere but eh it made me smile. A school newspaper just may not have been the best place to have it, if this sorta joke was (and frequently is) in a South Park episode we'd think nothing of it.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
Valanthe said:
Agent Larkin said:
Valanthe said:
.....I misread that shirt as saying "God hates Flags". Oddly the fact it was the Westboro Baptists didn't make me think it was wrong.
My chain of thought for the past few moments:

Sees an unread message, thinks, "I bet it's a quote from the gay rights thread"
-looks- "Yep"
-sees the picture in the quote box, thinks- "Oh god, someone's missed the joke and is gonna try to jump down my throat about that."
-reads your response and LOL's-

Thank you sir, you made my night.
Your welcome.

BishopofAges

Sep 15, 2010
Homophobia and any current sexual-charged bias aside, that comic was terribly drawn and not very funn in the least.

If the author of the comic is to receive punishment, so be it. If they skate away from it, then at least redraw and rewrite the joke so it would be funny, theres edgy and then theres just sad.

Crises^

Sep 21, 2010
Playful Pony said:
xTc212 said:
You have a point about it not being chosen but people laugh at pedo jokes all the time and that isn't chosen, however pedos derserve to die in a pit with fire ants, and gays do not.

Don't get me wrong I have no problem with gay people at all even have a gay friend which is kinda rare In Ireland. But people need to learn to laugh at them selves.

As I'm Irish we get jokes made bout us all the time, even though its rasist we laugh it off do you know why because its funny.

There is a difference between a joke and hate speech.
It's not about not being able to take a joke. People joke about me constantly, because I am quite silly, quite perverted and strange. Of course people make jokes of that! I make jokes about myself for gods sake... There is indeed a difference between a joke and hate speech, but it's at times a pretty fine line... A line many people are blind of, on both sides of the issue...

You did say that sexual preference is a choice though... That's just plain false.
I admit that I came off wrong there I did not mean to say being gay is a choice I'm just saying that everything should be allowed to made fun of. I think its a taste in comedy that separates us. I love to be offended hence why my two fav comedians are Frankie Boyle and Jimmy Carr.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
aba1 said:
I dunno how I feel about this. On the one hand people should be free to say and publish what ever they like while on the other hand this is really offensive and on the magical third hand I did let out a titter.

I guess the best way to place my thoughts are that there is a time and a place for this joke and a school newspaper is not the place and this really is not the time.
Pretty much this. It's a joke that probably isn't appropriate for a university newspaper. But it's no more offensive than a lot of jokes stand-up comedians in the UK make.

Vegosiux said:
Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequence. That's all that needs to be said.

Or in other words, people can say whatever they want. Once they've said their piece, they've already exercised said freedom, so whatever comes afterwards has nothing to do with their freedom of speech.
While I think I understand what you mean, your argument would also allow the sort of repression that used to go on in countries like the USSR (and still goes on in many other countries). I.e. You can say what you like about the government, but afterwards you may be locked up for the rest of your life (or even killed).

Free speech in its basic terms means the government can't punish you for things you say. However - in the UK at least - there are limits put on free speech. For example, you're not allowed to use your right to free speech in order to incite racial hatred or to threaten someone.

More relevantly here, "free speech" doesn't mean that people who aren't the government can't punish you. You can't call your boss a "f**king asshole" to his face, and use "free speech" as your reason for not getting fired!

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
MetalMagpie said:
While I think I understand what you mean, your argument would also allow the sort of repression that used to go on in countries like the USSR (and still goes on in many other countries). I.e. You can say what you like about the government, but afterwards you may be locked up for the rest of your life (or even killed).

Free speech in its basic terms means the government can't punish you for things you say. However - in the UK at least - there are limits put on free speech. For example, you're not allowed to use your right to free speech in order to incite racial hatred or to threaten someone.

More relevantly here, "free speech" doesn't mean that people who aren't the government can't punish you. You can't call your boss a "f**king asshole" to his face, and use "free speech" as your reason for not getting fired!
Well, I did mention I wouldn't want any kind of speech to be illegal. And yes, consequences come from the society's feedback.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
xTc212 said:
I admit that I came off wrong there I did not mean to say being gay is a choice I'm just saying that everything should be allowed to made fun of. I think its a taste in comedy that separates us. I love to be offended hence why my two fav comedians are Frankie Boyle and Jimmy Carr.
You are forgiven *petpet*. I personally have nothing against humor making fun of people for many kinds of things, but I don't actually find it funny Oo. I don't know why I don't enjoy it. I'm not offended by it, I don't give it a second thought but I still don't laugh!

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
Astoria said:
I...don't really see how this is homophobic? It may be crossing a line somewhere but eh it made me smile. A school newspaper just may not have been the best place to have it, if this sorta joke was (and frequently is) in a South Park episode we'd think nothing of it.
The comic is about a homophobic father threatening to murder his child, and the punchline is that gay people are "fruits".

This joke would not make into a South Park episode because South Park is actually funny.

DragonLord Seth said:
Well Xbox Live is full of 12 year old idiots screaming "HOMOFAG" so should we get rid of XBL?
No, we should get rid of idiots.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Vegosiux said:
launchpadmcqwak said:
Vegosiux said:
Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequence. That's all that needs to be said.

Or in other words, people can say whatever they want. Once they've said their piece, they've already exercised said freedom, so whatever comes afterwards has nothing to do with their freedom of speech.
You do realize that that does not work at all?
How does it not work? Why do people assume "Freedom of speech" is the same as "I can aynthing I want with impunity"?
A better statement would have been "Freedom of Speech is not freedom from consequences by citizens." It is freedom from consequences by the Government. Private companies can fire you for anything you say at any time (assuming you aren't in a union). The government cannot punish you for what you say (with a few exceptions like threatening the President).

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
Not sure if it's a mum or dad in the comic hard to tell.

xTc212 said:
To be honest it's a uni newspaper, sick jokes always offend someone but are still funny,
For instance South Park. I laughed at it because obviously its a parody on homophobes.

I think people just need to lighten up all this pc bullshit is driving me mad, but there does need to be a line.

I think race should not be joked about but religion and sexual preference and any other choice believe or life style is fair game.
Sweet point me in the direction where i can choose my sexual preference! :D i can't wait to try out being gay and get my swagger on.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
xTc212 said:
To be honest it's a uni newspaper, sick jokes always offend someone but are still funny,
For instance South Park. I laughed at it because obviously its a parody on homophobes.

I think people just need to lighten up all this pc bullshit is driving me mad, but there does need to be a line.

I think race should not be joked about but religion and sexual preference and any other choice believe or life style is fair game.
Problem there:

Race cannot be chosen
Religion can be chosen
Sexual Orientation cannot be chosen.

See the problem?
Speaking of which, is there ANY conclusive evidence that you CANNOT change your sexual orientation?

Another thing about that argument that bugs me(and ties into my question): I never hear about anyone complaining about how child molesters were BORN attracted to children.

As far as I know homosexuality was declared a developmental thing with a possible, slight contribution from a genetic factor.

I could be wrong though. The articles shown to me on the subject were from a year and a half ago, hence why I ask.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
The comic had homophobia in it, but I'm not sure I would call the comic homophobic. The joke involves mocking the extremeness of a homophobic parent, by undercutting their deadly seriousness with a disproportionately silly pun. Some people think you can't joke about such a serious real world issue as parents hating their gay children, but I don't think there is anything wrong with those kind of jokes, as long as battered gays aren't the butt of them.

But it was a bad joke anyway. The artist probably deserved to be fired, just for being that unfunny.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
People complaining about the "Freedom of speech is not free from consequence" bit. Freedom of speech is a legality, yes, but if you say something I disagree with, my freedom of speech lets me call you out on it, and move to - if necessary - deem it offensive and worthy of taken non-legal action against. Like having a job reprimanded, like having to issue an apology. The consequences here are not legal of consequences. Or, rather, let's put it this: freedom of speech is not a shield to hide behind, it is a sword to make jabs with - and others can and will jab you back. You are not offered freedom from the consequences of your actions, only the right to perform those actions without legal scrutiny.

DragonLord Seth said:
Well Xbox Live is full of 12 year old idiots screaming "HOMOFAG" so should we get rid of XBL? People should stop being so goddamn fucking sensitive, it's a fucking comic.
I think the real problem is that Xbox LIVE isn't a public service. You have to sign up for it and, when you sign up for it, it comes with a very legal disclaimer saying stuff like "online interactions not rated". Basically, nothing said on Xbox LIVE is Microsoft's responsibility, and they wholly acknowledge up-front that they don't know what will be said to you, and if you're hurt or offended, that's between you and the offender.

Meanwhile, this newspaper is - to my understanding - a public newspaper, handed out (presumably) for free to all students of this University. I'm going to assume that it doesn't have any sort of legal pre-amble or warning about "the content herein is the opinion of its authors and not the University" or the sort. So basically, people come to this paper with the assumption that it's going to be clean, inoffensive, and unbiased. And they find that comic strip. ...imagine if you were gay, you open up a newspaper handed to you by your own school, one you've read many issues of before and one you trust not to... y'know... not deeply insult you and your sexual preference. When it does, you'd be well within your rights to try and get this thing apologized for, try to get the person responsible dealt with. A public form like a University newspaper could perhaps support opinion columns if there's an understanding with the reader that such things will be in there, but as long as there's not, it's on the publication's shoulders when stuff turns up in there that throws stones at people who are going to be bruised by it.

The comic strip itself, the joke its making... isn't as bad as the fact that it was printed in that newspaper. That's what the outrage is about. I mean, geez, jokes like this are made all the bloody time. It's just that they're not made in a forum as public as a free newspaper with the circulation of its whole University.