Honest opinions on Uplay?

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Snotnarok said:
No EA games bothered with this brain dead tactic. Buy Mass Effect 2? It launches with steam only
In all fairness, I want to mention that Mass Effect 2 was released before Origin was launched as a service. As a comparison, Mass Effect 3 is Origin only, similar to how Heroes 6 is Uplay only, yet in both cases, you can get the preceding title through a different DD platform.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I don't buy Ubisoft games on PC because I've heard the horror stories. If I really want to play an Ubisoft game (which isn't all that often I admit) I just buy it on console.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I'm like most here, I really have not had the horror story experience with Uplay that some have. Ubisoft games I've purchased through Steam require using both frontends and that's redundant and easily doubles the chances something could go wrong. I've even purchased a game straight from Uplay (well redeemed a code) so it wouldn't require Steam to run. And it manages the savegames and updates as well as Steam does (ie, I've never had a problem with it.) I don't begrudge it an existence, but Ubi games purchased on Steam don't need it. It should only be necessary if you downloaded Uplay to buy a game from Ubisoft... in which case no one would use it. Making it really... kind of pointless.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Having had to use it for Assassins Creed 4, Far Cry 3, 4 and Blood Dragon, and potentially for Rainbow Six Seige and The Division, i cant really say i wouldnt have had any distaste for it if it came before Steam did.

Ive never had problems with it. It turned itself on when i ran any of the games i listed above from Steam, stayed perfectly content with being ignored the entire time, and shut down without issue (via Task Manager, which i use to close everything theese days)

At any rate though, its still better than GfWL by a few lightyears.

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
Me and a friend got TC's Ghost Recon Future Soldier (which I previously had on Xbox and loved) in a humble bundle, but when someone on your friends list does something - anything - that causes a notification, the game crashes. This means there's no way to play together which is the main reason we got. If you launch the game when someone else is on it, they both crash. It's fucking awful. It really is just a stress and frustration butty, but the butter is actually just horseshit.

Aside from all that the customer service is complete shite.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
A worthless piece of software that only serves to get in the way of playing games, its a big reason I don't buy ubisoft games anymore, Origin at the very least a. doesn't require steam as well as its propitiatory software and b. Is a very decent digital distribution platform in it's own right, Origin I am ok with, Uplay can go fuck itself

Fallow

NSFB
Oct 29, 2014
On a scale from EAvil to GabenGlorious, it is decisively meh.
It's a pure annoyance, but not evil. It has nothing beneficial, but you don't want to use it anyway. It's not big, but it's slow. Anthropomorphically it would be Phil, ruler of Heck.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
DoPo said:
Snotnarok said:
No EA games bothered with this brain dead tactic. Buy Mass Effect 2? It launches with steam only
In all fairness, I want to mention that Mass Effect 2 was released before Origin was launched as a service. As a comparison, Mass Effect 3 is Origin only, similar to how Heroes 6 is Uplay only, yet in both cases, you can get the preceding title through a different DD platform.
Yes that's true but EA could have turned around and pushed ME2 to have Origin. I believe Ubisoft has pushed Uplay on games that didn't require it before (I am not 100% sure if this is right) such as Assassins Creed 2 which used to have always online DRM then they switched it to Uplay.
I'd give ubisoft more credit if Uplay wasn't forced on top of having steam. It's doubling down on resources for no reason. Not to mention Uplay is just in the way and offers nothing vs Steam and Origin.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I play on console and don't go online, so Uplay is a completely inoffensive novelty where I cash in Upoints every now and then for banal rewards. Nothing to say for or against it, except it seems to take some time to recognize "actions" worthy of Upoints.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
It actively makes me not want to buy Ubisoft games since I don't want an extra platform to launch games off of when said platform would barely be used. I've used it for Far Cry 4 and that was just because I got the game for free.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Well, every time I'm forced to boot it up to play a certain game, it literally freezes my entire computer, making it unresponsive, for upwards of 10 minutes.

It does this on three of my computers: My main rig, my laptop, and my brother's PC

If it doesn't freeze, it just takes forever to respond compared to Steam and Origin, and sometimes fails to boot my games up entirely (though it's usually certain games, such as The Crew or Far Cry 3)

lachlan4567

Sep 21, 2011
On console it's pretty good, I am able to earn extra achievements which I can use to acquire goodies like wallpapers,sound tracks and in game costumes.
On Pc it's a clunky mess, but then again so is origin to a lesser extent, I think it's greatest crime on PC is not being steam. That and needing to be used as well as steam for any ubisoft title that shows up there.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
For me, Uplay started out shitty, and now it is less shitty.

When it first was a thing, I stopped being able to play my games at the maximum setting, anymore, because Uplay was such a resource hog. I have upgraded my computer since then, so it isn't as much of a problem, but my second glaring issue with Uplay was that whilst downloading something, unless I was constantly tabbed into the Uplay downloads tab, the download speed would slowly tick down to 0b/s.

Now, though, it is little more than an inconvenience. Also, what is with those Uplay point things? I get that they unlock stuff in your game, but, like, what is the point?